The Hundred Ghost Stories That Led to My Death - Ch. 73 - Payback

Fed-Kun's army
I'm confused, is the doll evil or not. It saved him from the accident but what does it have to do with the fire. These stories are making less sense as we go

I'm guessing its not evil? The doll might have been trying to protect him.

At the staircase crosswalk, she smiled when he ran away from her.
At the junction, she gave him a scary face that made the guy go another way. We later find out that there was an accident there.
Its possible that if he had gone on the staircase, he could have gotten hurt.

In the last one, we see the doll have a sad face as the guy was in the fire.

Dex-chan lover
I'm confused, is the doll evil or not. It saved him from the accident but what does it have to do with the fire. These stories are making less sense as we go
See the title, it's "Payback". He got saved from traffic accident because he apologized. For the fire, I think the doll kept the girl safe at first but after being kicked it just let the fire consume them.

Dex-chan lover
If Higa hadn't assumed his guardian angel was evil just because she's a creepy doll he'd still be alive right now. Remember folks: stereotyping can get you killed.
In the last one, we see the doll have a sad face as the guy was in the fire.
While he was trying to open the door to his burning house she was also giving him the same mean mug that she used to scare him away from the intersection.

I'm a tiny bit weirded out by how cute I find the panels of her making that li'l angry face while trying to block the door with her butt.

Dex-chan lover
The doll is there to warn him not to enter the house. You can even see the doll crying as he perishes with his wife in the fire because it couldn't do more to save him.

And also, like all of Yuuma's stories this one also sort of hints on what he's currently thinking so perhaps the 1st-person POV we've been seeing is that of a doll. Interestingly in the post-chapter bit he also makes a reference to the eyepatch cop having dolls of his own.

Dex-chan lover
See the title, it's "Payback". He got saved from traffic accident because he apologized. For the fire, I think the doll kept the girl safe at first but after being kicked it just let the fire consume them.
I'm fairly certain that's really wrong.

The girl/wife was basically a lost cause. It was too dangerous for him to go into the fire to try to save her, and the doll was trying to warn him and scare him off.

What's my support for this? The last panel of the doll has tears in its eyes. She tried to save him, but she was unsuccessful, and she was crying.

---

I honestly find the overarching story of the boy and now him trying to fundamentally murder the police officer... Kind of stupid. Like, I get it. He's functionally being possessed, and that's why he wants to continue telling the stories. But it's also just stupid looking.

I'm fairly certain that's really wrong.

The girl/wife was basically a lost cause. It was too dangerous for him to go into the fire to try to save her, and the doll was trying to warn him and scare him off.

What's my support for this? The last panel of the doll has tears in its eyes. She tried to save him, but she was unsuccessful, and she was crying.

---

I honestly find the overarching story of the boy and now him trying to fundamentally murder the police officer... Kind of stupid. Like, I get it. He's functionally being possessed, and that's why he wants to continue telling the stories. But it's also just stupid looking.
I agree. The first part is a hint actually. Mary, the evil doll, appears behind you in order to hurt you. This doll is the opposite and appears in front in order to protect you.
Another point you may have missed is that the doll isn't just in front of the door, it's actively blocking him from opening it. That's why he's forced to kick it away.
It's sad, but little Un-Mary was doing her best.

If Higa hadn't assumed his guardian angel was evil just because she's a creepy doll he'd still be alive right now. Remember folks: stereotyping can get you killed.
I'm pretty sure he realized that she was trying to protect him considering that he instantly thinks of leaving when it showed up in front of his house, it's just that he values his wife's life more than he does his own.

Dex-chan lover
A rare non-malicious ghost/spirit. At the end the doll was trying to prevent him from entering the burning house because he would die, but he went in anyway to save his wife and died. The doll cried at the end because it couldn't save the man.

Dang.

Story - the man thinks the doll is his enemy, but it was trying to save him, man dies trying to save wife
Current plot - Yuuma doesn't trust Kido, and is only thinking how to save Hina
Foreshadowing perhaps?

Dex-chan lover
Well hope Kido doesn't die due to the machinations of this kid

Group Leader
for a bit context: ''miss mary'' or Mary-san is a popular urban legend about a doll that was thrown away by a girl makes creepy phone calls telling the girl that she's getting closer, until the final call where she says ''I am right you!'' and the story always ends there

Users who are viewing this thread