The Knight and Her Emperor - Ch. 93

Dex-chan lover
@Harts01
Desperate knowing no matter what she do, there is a wall with unknown truth, and she afraid for that truth...

See @Kriss10 comments for better explanation.

Fuck, after having to focus on survival, Sir Paul is now being reminded of what feels are ://// that’s super rough

Thanks for the update! Great chapter, I love Rebecca and Im glad to see that her greedy persona is starting to show up (no wonder she's lucius and pol favorite in the novels hehe).

Since some are talking about pol and her appearance, I'll give my two cents :D Excuse my weird ass rambling in advance. Im hungry and sleepy. ~~~ I myself complained about pol looking too different from the novels in the past (she's described as kinda short in height, thin but voluptuous and with some muscles, light-brown/blonde hair, brown eyes plus big scars in her face, a crooked nose and a missing molar). I think thay she may look somehow like a guy in the manhwa and that's NOT absolutely a bad thing at all (even if I think she looks different from the image that the novel gave me, but that's just me). We have to understand: she grew up in battle, being a knight is her life, she's basically 'one of the boys'. She isnt going to look 'soft' and, even if by biology (? women tend to be 'rounder, softer, smaller', that doesnt mean that all women are going to be like this. We all come in different shapes, sizes and features. Besides that, I think that by design all the characters are pretty generic (you could take stra, give her short hair, take away her make up and she would look like a guy). The art isnt super detailed tbh. Pol is drawn simple because I think that the author is trying to accentuate that she doesn't use makeup lol but if we are going to be shallow, she has chest, her waist line is pretty clear, and her face is just... you know, a normal face?? Not all women have long eyelashes and plump lips, for example. And ya'll know what? Even if she looks like a "man" the point is that it doesnt matter, because people take in consideration whats between her legs first. Skill? Inteligence? Nah, all that comes second. It's almost ridiculous to think that she doesnt look like a woman enough, when her being a woman and having it hard is one of the main themes in the series.

Psssss: long eyelashes are fairly evenly distributed between men and women. The idea that long eyelashes is a femenine trait comes from the fact that the use of makeup shifted from being a unisex accessory to a more female-centric practice.

Thank you for the update. This series is always a nice change from the normal stuff I read.

Fed-Kun's army
I miss that subordinate boy whose name I can’t remember. I’m happy that he got married to a good girl, but it feels a little lonely as well.

Does Paulina have friends that she can truly trust? I don’t count those concubines, as they are not really friends. Her subordinates are also not really friends. I think that all in all, Paulina is a lonely person, as she is in a unique position of being a high-ranking female knight.

@illusion_moon right I agree. It's like she's always on the sidelines being happy for other people from a distance, without giving her own happiness much thought. Very selflessness, but lonely as hell...

i think she's crying because she remember how much the different in treatment between men and women, that's why she think about the "wall" that bound the women from the concubine's statement bout how she couldn't get a castle cause she is a woman.

@aurite

Long eyelashes isn't a feminine trait. In fact most men have longer eyelashes than women in general, IN REAL LIFE. BUT in mangas %99 of the time females are drawn with longer eyelashes and slighty/much bigger eyes ONLY to distinguish them from males. Not because women have longer eyelashes or bigger eyes than men irl, which is false in the first place. That's why we could easily tell there gender only by judging there faces. Long eyelashes in mangas ISN'T a makeup, they just means the character is a female, not male. And boys with long eyelashes in mangas are %99 of the time described as feminine looking or ''pretty boy'' types.

The artist could've drawn a little bit of eyelashes on paulina not because to make her more look feminine, only because we ''could'' tell her she is ,in fact, a female, but a very masculine one at that. I don't want her to look more feminine, I only want some tiny goddamn eyelashes! Only eyelashes, nothing more! And I'm a sucker for tomboys in mangas, to the point I only read romance manga where the fl is a tomboy with boyish short hair and appearance. But not like this!

''It's almost ridiculous to think that she doesnt look like a woman enough, when her being a woman and having it hard is one of the main themes in the series.''

That's the point. ''Her being a woman'' No, I don't see a woman. That IS the main issue. The manhwa constantly has to tell me that she's a woman to remind me that she's a woman. But when I look at Pauline I see no ''woman'' having it hard (which is true it's one of the main theme in the manhwa). I see a MAN having difficulties to live as the ''female'' knight.

If I only wanted to read the story I would've read its novel, not the manhwa. In mangas visuals and character designs are just as important as the story. If not then there would be no point of drawing and reading manga. I could've just read books.
And as I had said before I only want her to have eyelashes only to remind me that she's a woman, nothing more.

In this panel she looks like a crossdressing man, not the other way around. A

https://i.redd.it/htc6bz5479261.png

And I already argued with someone the other day because %80 of them mistook the gender of some girl in the manga. Here is the comment section. You can see mine.

https://mangadex.org/thread/387565/1

'WAIT WAIT wAIT SHE WAS A GIRL?''
''WHAAAT I THOUGHT SHE WAS A BOY''
''So that was not a dude......''
''I THOUGHT TOMO WAS A GUYYY''

Here are the panels of the said girl %80 thought was a boy.

https://zm3qh490hveht.xnvda7fch4zhr.mangadex.network/sUmrAQuUExX9owEldrz54wvayTtYe1fTSjA4Ter3KCLn1o1KxDvBHvBzy1gEhZlYPBcJk3CqOlNcnReyKvEW1UUVbmWewcpvOx3Hq_Lta2oeXxKjQ2N4Pi2HYuML0bFAhMnJ-soL5-Omj1Szs15Ys7568xtCH5ydFXLRJCEG6IrlquqT5VrjV6tZ4pbicHKRBaCN7t8iFZAUTWgq3Wksx8I00FI/data-saver/a3f6fcce2e109058be63a90d4fe5e93f/3-0b4ae204b6a21a65c0a4bdcb737b5610ca6996e8a1e74aed7d42e1f1135141b4.jpg

Yep this one. Most people tought she was a boy until the very last chapter where her gender was kinda ''revealed'' (it's ridiculous to even say the word) while she clearly looks MUCH MORE OF A GIRL than Pauline. Longer hair, bigger eyes, much longer eyelashes (Pauline doesn't have any and she has much longer lashes than any other character in emperor and the female knight manhwa), much shorter height, much more feminine body shape, and seemingly larger breasts. And on the top of all those she even dresses like a woman . All in the exact same page! Yet people still thought she was a boy. Hurray!

And here is our beloved Pauline

https://d1ed0vta5mrb00.cloudfront.net/comics/134/thumbnails/150x150_3ac9d0db-1dee-4db0-b5cd-514a66f93bd5.jpg

I think she's crying because she realizes how hard it is for women. She's at the top but every other woman she knows aren't allowed to do what they want (Vaxie and Vanessa, despite being talented can't learn swords and are now pregnant)

If you've never had a moment where you realize that you are something you didn't think you were, or realize what it means to be what you are its hard to explain what that mixture of feelings is but I think that could be why she's crying. Realizing a change in identity just is emotional. I cried when I realized I loved what I did and that I had- for lack of a better term- "made it", not that my situation is analogous to hers at all.

Paulina has though of herself as nothing but a warrior or a knight for twenty years, this is probably the first time she's even thought about what it means to be a woman in any context but the consequences of losing a fight in that time.

Guys she is a woman but she lived a harsh life. Trained constantly and endured assaults, even she does not recognize herself as a woman completely and she always was rejected by the social norms so she views herself just by her capacity as a knight. There are women in this world that are androngynous they also have the right to be represented. Why is there such a standard about what a woman should look like? It's kind of sexist what you all say in the comments. Please be more understanding and inclusive.

PS. there is a happy ending. the novel just finished.

Seeing this chapter illustrated hits different. The novel made me feel sad but this made me cry.

Users who are viewing this thread