The Lecture You Would Never Want Your Parents to Give You - Ch. 19 - The Noble Child Who Mediates The Spouses' Relationship

Dex-chan lover
Something telling me that husband going to be there first. Literally.

Dex-chan lover
No idea how much you people appreciate these little notes about the Japanese stuff, but I'm going to do them anyway. :pacman:
The little footnotes are why I tend to prefer fan translations over official ones. I like seeing the nitty-gritty of not elegantly translatable concepts and the decisions involved when trying to cross them.

But yeh, I think the english equivalent is fully nonverbal – a waggle of the eyebrows, a sudden change in tone as the silliness of the statement becomes evident. "Bdum-tss" seems about as faithful a translation as you can get in print, though!

The little footnotes are why I tend to prefer fan translations over official ones. I like seeing the nitty-gritty of not elegantly translatable concepts and the decisions involved when trying to cross them.

But yeh, I think the english equivalent is fully nonverbal – a waggle of the eyebrows, a sudden change in tone as the silliness of the statement becomes evident. "Bdum-tss" seems about as faithful a translation as you can get in print, though!
Then I encourage you to read my other personal projects, and anything put out by Orchid of the Moon! I'm the main translator for that group: It's safe to say that 80% of their output is me!

I frequently make translator notes for lines I have to alter, or don't feel confident about. And sometimes, some things get their own little highlights (Like I did in a chapter of Chanto Suenai Kyuuketsuki-chan for the name of a store. It seems to be gone for now? I'll get to fixing that soon)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
One of these days I'll figure out why you hand out these participation trophy comments.
The start was when a couple of solo translators dropped some manga I was reading because there didn't seem to be anyone reading them (No comments on chapters). Those manga did get comments from many lurkers later saying they were reading but most of the times there were no new chapters after that point. And since those were not mainstream/popular manga no new translators picked them either and they pretty much got abandoned. I used to be a lurker too and almost never commented but that was when I started writing 'Thanks for the chapter.' on chapters which did not have comments at the time of my reading. At first it was only that but after reading multiple manga where comments were only filled with negativity and/or hate I decided to comment on those too. At that point I felt I might as well comment on the rest too since I do enjoying reading them.
Basically the comment is literally just me being thankful for the chapter.

The start was when a couple of solo translators dropped some manga I was reading because there didn't seem to be anyone reading them (No comments on chapters). Those manga did get comments from many lurkers later saying they were reading but most of the times there were no new chapters after that point. And since those were not mainstream/popular manga no new translators picked them either and they pretty much got abandoned. I used to be a lurker too and almost never commented but that was when I started writing 'Thanks for the chapter.' on chapters which did not have comments at the time of my reading. At first it was only that but after reading multiple manga where comments were only filled with negativity and/or hate I decided to comment on those too. At that point I felt I might as well comment on the rest too since I do enjoying reading them.
Now go sell your origin story to Netflix so you can finally achieve your dream of being played by a gay black woman.

Still irrationally upset by the comment, though.

Dex-chan lover
The trick is usually to write comments that make engagement and gets other to comment too. Like writing a funny remark, asking a rhetorical question, or just write something that can enable others to come with comments too. I use to do that a lot for manga I like, and if you do it correctly you can push interaction up a lot.

Might not matter that much on mangadex, but on places like /a/ and r/manga, it can really rile up the comments and make the release more visible (ranking on reddit relies on both comments and updoots for example). And I think you should do it just to make the scanlators happy and feel that people appreciate their work, it has a tendency to be lonely work. Scanlation relies a lot on motivation after all.

You wouldn't believe the trouble I went through to find this comment again to correct myself. I linked you to the exact wrong chapter of Vampire-chan for the note I was talking about. This was the one.

Aren't I just the best? <3

Users who are viewing this thread