The Lecture You Would Never Want Your Parents to Give You - Ch. 4 - The Most Rutheless Blame-Shifting Parent In Human History

Fluency and readibility is the most important for a good translation in my opinion. If you can't make it somewhat readable and understandable, you've not done a good job.
But it is readable. Very readable. "So basically she's saying that her daughter is an indication/product of her husband's awkward phase." Is the takeaway.

And this is much better than innacuracies.
Jay here got the message. Seems like it's pretty readable.
Maybe change it to something like "Don't talk about your own daughter like her conception was that awkward phase you went through" ?
While not literally what she said, I'd say that might be close what she meant. It'd help if she wasn't speaking so damn casually.

Fluency, readibility, and flow is the most important in my opinion. If you kill the punch line in a comedy, or you kill the mood or tone otherwise, you have kind of ruined your own product honestly. Then you're doing it more for your own satisfaction than the reader, which is fair I guess but then it ruins the purpose of posting it for others to read.
Face it: Any translation you personally like necessarily scraps what she said in favor of something else: The very thing I set out to correct in the first place. Even the guy who made the suggestions ended up making a clunky line, then offering a rewrite as a nicer-sounding alternative; hence why I said it's making us both suffer.

And yes, I am doing it for my own satisfaction. I've never made it a secret that I do this out of a sense of personal pride than any particular need to make sure the reader "likes" the work. That people happen to appreciate a sincere effort to get the actual message across, and teach a few things here and there is a bonus.

The reader, and author, both deserve an actual translation, not a rewrite. And sometimes, that means I bump up against things like this that are nearly impossible to translate neatly. While I can power through that with some effort, I like to take the opportunity to let everyone know my shortcomings, the technical details of the language that are involved, and occasionally, the literal impossibility of getting the message across perfectly.

Dex-chan lover
unlikely considering a lot of guys who are are playboys only get daughters. Some housewives that I know even call it karmic.

There is even a study that suggest that the egg seems to choose which sperm to let through

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread