The Mentor and the New Employee Who Gradually Change Each Other - Ch. 40

Dex-chan lover
She is? She looks like every other character in the story.
Not all of the characters look the same.

And yah, they all look hot because authors often don't want to draw ugly characters...

It's like how "ordinary looking" shonen protagonist look badass for the sake of viewers..

You need to look at how her panel has the shines and glitters and stuff....

Dex-chan lover
Oh no, she's hot!!!!

The reveal was that she was super hot... so the last girl in the average or decently pretty trio was actually a hottie...

This is always such a weird thing for manga to do because the anime/manga style basically only has 2 extremes for character design: inhumanly ugly or smoking hot. I get that sometimes they try to use certain design cues, like having a girl with glasses and braids and freckles to denote she's not wearing makeup be shorthand for "plain, boring, unremarkable", but nothing about her design ever made me think this character wasn't supposed to be attractive under her mask. She has manga-standard pretty eyes, manga-standard long and pretty hair, and is not obviously chubby or anything else that would usually denote unattractiveness.

Dex-chan lover
This is always such a weird thing for manga to do because the anime/manga style basically only has 2 extremes for character design: inhumanly ugly or smoking hot. I get that sometimes they try to use certain design cues, like having a girl with glasses and braids and freckles to denote she's not wearing makeup be shorthand for "plain, boring, unremarkable", but nothing about her design ever made me think this character wasn't supposed to be attractive under her mask. She has manga-standard pretty eyes, manga-standard long and pretty hair, and is not obviously chubby or anything else that would usually denote unattractiveness.
I think it was her being THAT hot...

None of the ladies looked "ugly" but they weren't supposed to be our main girl level hot...

And the back ground and reactions kinda worked... plus how clean her lines looked compared to her friends...

Dex-chan lover
Ah this thing, what do people call it? Mask catfish? Like situation where people get jebaited thinking the masked person were handsome/pretty but turns out to be disappointing kind of thing

Contributor
Her character archetype was delinquent even in the previous comic she's in. So it's much of a reveal to show that yes, she does take off the mask.

Dex-chan lover
Oh no, she's hot!!!!

The reveal was that she was super hot... so the last girl in the average or decently pretty trio was actually a hottie...
Imagine a plain girl that everyone is not interested in. But actually, she was the hottest and most beautiful girl trope.
Now apply this to a background character and boom

Group Leader
Is there a typo on the last yellow bubble on the first page? Shouldn't it say that Hikutsu-kun would make a good husband?

Dex-chan lover
I remember that one friend who never took off her mask, and decided to did that in graduation.
It was horrifying.

Users who are viewing this thread