The Mentor and the New Employee Who Gradually Change Each Other - Ch. 77

Dex-chan lover
Can bro not say love? I get aishiteru is a word that Japanese people rarely say but like if you're confessing to the love of your life then surely you would right?
That’d be pretty weird though. Like as much time as they’ve spent together, to hear that someone you aren’t even dating say they love you (especially with its deeper meaning and seldom usage in Japan) would make most people shudder. The point of dating is becoming more intimate and getting to know each other more closely while pursuing romantic interests (I could probably word that less like I’ve never dated myself 😅), you can’t accurately say you love someone before you’ve crossed the first threshold (not physically but just like living together, learning habits, going through good and bad times, etc). Even if you could, it’s still like 100% a bad move against someone you’re asking to date (not marry). Plus I like to think a big point of saying you love someone is the firmness of the word, like infatuation, attraction, etc all imply temporary feelings (and even if they last long they can still be fallen out of), but when you say you live someone it gives finality snd both parties KNOW you mean it and you can never just get rid of it (which is part of why its scary for early couples).

But hey, hopeless romantic.

:haa: what if she still says no
If she does, it’ll be because of the haircut and I will NOT blame her.

Contributor
More like because of @xyzzy , amirite? :meguusmug:

4j1jaz.jpg

Dex-chan lover
That’d be pretty weird though. Like as much time as they’ve spent together, to hear that someone you aren’t even dating say they love you (especially with its deeper meaning and seldom usage in Japan) would make most people shudder. The point of dating is becoming more intimate and getting to know each other more closely while pursuing romantic interests (I could probably word that less like I’ve never dated myself 😅), you can’t accurately say you love someone before you’ve crossed the first threshold (not physically but just like living together, learning habits, going through good and bad times, etc). Even if you could, it’s still like 100% a bad move against someone you’re asking to date (not marry). Plus I like to think a big point of saying you love someone is the firmness of the word, like infatuation, attraction, etc all imply temporary feelings (and even if they last long they can still be fallen out of), but when you say you live someone it gives finality snd both parties KNOW you mean it and you can never just get rid of it (which is part of why its scary for early couples).

But hey, hopeless romantic.

If she does, it’ll be because of the haircut and I will NOT blame her.
Hey I'm a hopeless romantic just like you I never thought of it that way. Maybe I just want some progress after seeing literally none in a lot of manga that I read

Dex-chan lover
Well, neither is someone saying "radical" or "far out dude", but you don't hear it anymore

P.S. I miss saying "wizard" tho
The difference here is that "Ara Ara" is still a common phrase in Japan, it's only associated with older women in the west due to anime and manga.

Dex-chan lover
I like this outcome JUST because Japanese courting puts WAY too much effort and pressure into confessing. Like dude, you’re asking her to go steady, not for marriage. The worse she/he can is definitely beyond “No”, but you ain’t gotta say anything more than “I like you (optional: because xyz), do you want to go out?” or some variation. Rom coms especially seem to forget the act of dating is to get to know each other better and become more intimate. Nothing’s sealed in stone exactly, you’re just saying you like spending time with someone and want to explore a deeper relationship with romantic intentions.
like those extra prom proposals, totally unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread