The Monster Duchess and Contract Princess - Ch. 10

Hey, now she realizes using her powers willy nilly and suddenly acting confident can come bite her in the ass. She should have played along as falsely submissive while plotting her escape since the beginning, her change in behaviour just attracts suspicion.

Group Leader
Thanks for the fast release! Leslie might be one of my favorite little girl protagonists. She's gone through a lot of shit, so she isn't naive but she isn't consumed by hatred either. For the most part she's a really sweet and courageous child you can't help but cheer on.

Thanks for the chapter!
Her expressions are great, hope she can pass the month peacefully and fast

Aggregator gang
isn't the first daughter should be questioned about her birth? she's got a light green eyes, while the father got blue eyes and the mother got a purple eyes like the MC. or is she from different mother? blue+purple became more darker purple, while the purple is from a red and blue combination, considering a color mixing. i don't know about dna tho... and i know this is just a fantasy writings.. but maybe there's more depth to it?

Dex-chan lover
@undercurses That isn't how it works especially since that probably isn't earth, but even if it was Purple eyes are pretty rare to the point I don't think they know how they happen or what they produce offspring wise

Fed-Kun's army
Love the maids as a Greek Chorus for this.

@karolyn

The Duchess seems too nice and too perfect.

She does have a believable mixture of "this kid could be an incredibly powerful asset - and it would weaken a rival noble house to take her" (she doesn't seem to know the full tale, but there's the chance she's at least heard rumors about the sacrifice ritual, since it's been happening for a thousand years, in which case she's realized poaching Elise would basically be the equivalent of stabbing that family in the gut. Even if she hasn't heard about the sacrifice ritual to empower the heir, she does know Elise can black out her whole castle, while her sister hasn't demonstrated anything on that level, so she's still getting the stronger daughter), and having a degree of empathy with Elise over the fact they have (technically, had) similar scars given to them by people they trusted.

On the more sketchy side, it's been mentioned that the Duchess has three sons, but no daughters, so adopting Elise (despite what Elise said about leaving the family when she reached 18) could potentially give the Duchess a bargaining chip she doesn't currently have for any political marriage alliance she wants to make with folks that have an heir, not an heiress, anywhere up to six years down the line (and six years is a long time).

It's not full-on nice & perfect, but there are enough logical reasons this would all seem like a good idea to the Duchess which aren't flat-out evil that I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. And my impression of the earlier scar scenes was that the Duchess absolutely saw a reflection of herself herself in Elise, and is (in addition to having entirely logical reasons for the adoption) motivated to some degree by what she sees as their similarities.

Dex-chan lover
@undercurses : The sister have the family's power (nowhere near as strong as our girl, of course) so depending on the setting the father might accept her in the family regardless, because his desire for power is stronger than the thought that his wife might not be faithful.

Alternatively he marries into the family so he has no real say even if the mom got herself some lovers.

Dex-chan lover
I have a feeling blob will be contacting the FBI just about every chapter lol

With the meeting of the duchess's sons I think I can imagine how the story gonna go

@undercurses I think it's just the author because sometimes in other chapters he has green and once in a while blue. So the older sister takes after him. Also they wouldn't question the sis, but the mom, right? ( :

@EaterOfBooks It's Leslie, not Elise. I think you're getting confused with the sister whose name is Eli. Also the Duchess has two sons, not three. What you said about marriage could be true, but she said in Ch. 7 that she needs a dependable child who can help her (with the work of being a Duchess I guess). Like managing the territory and estate, I assume from the comment she made about what she was just doing. Her sons are unreliable/not suitable because of their personalities and she wants a break. She also said at one point that her grandfather used to tell her that the Sperado family had an unusually high amount of deaths in their second and third born children. So I don't think she totally knows maybe suspects something. It's weird because in ch 8, Leslie says the royal family may know of her family's backstory but she doesn't actually mention what it is to the Duchess. Just that she wants to survive etc which implies neglect or more.

Users who are viewing this thread