The Mute Girl and Her New Friend (Webcomic) - Ch. 3 - Cafeteria

Dex-chan lover
@Lilliwyt @Epsilon04 I apologize, I have been acting pretty shitty lately and randomly attack people on the internet. Please pardon my ignorance and hostility.

Dex-chan lover
rSfHlkq.png

Dex-chan lover
Adorkable.

I guessed this would have some discussion on the whole shoujo ai and yuri thing after I looked at the tags. Personally, as long as searching for shoujo ai brings up the combination of tags it replaces, I couldn't care less. It'll become a new norm over time. Since even if I'm open to change, old habits will take awhile to naturally switch away from.

It's something that needs to change across the internet to really work out though. Popular usage will typically drown out intended usage. Almost nobody refers to ".gif" as "jif" despite maker's insistence on pronunciation for example. Not quite the same here, but that's collective mindset as a whole. There's also racial terms that are vast examples of this, and how they change over time.

siu

honestly taco rice is good. if anyone has the chance you should try it sometime. its better than you would think

Dex-chan lover
Not unlike use of the words geek and nerd in the West. They used to be pretty negative, now people are proud to associate with those terms, though the media still stigmatizes them sometimes.

Dex-chan lover
I knew about the Japanese using shoujo-ai very differently and not using it for what Western fans have generally used it for. And I don't really mind it being phased out in places where we have tags that can do the same thing.
But that doesn't make it wrong for anyone to have ever used it. Western fans had uses for the term so they used it; the yuri vs shoujo ai distinction very nicely mirrored the yaoi / shounen ai distinction, back before fashion shifted towards calling everything BL. I don't really care that the Japanese didn't do that any more than I care that there was no such thing as a California roll in Japan; they're good, so whatever. (California rolls were in any case invented by a Japanese sushi chef; his restaurant just happened to be in Vancouver)

She should have just told the lunch lady herself that the girl can't talk...

Fed-Kun's army
I always thought Yuri meant lesbian and not just 2 close female friends like these 2 obviously are?

Dex-chan lover
@Shewy92
You actually have it right. Yuri means lesbians. All these commenters are just being stupid shippers, and apparently whoever tagged this series too. That is unless we get confirmation that one of them wants to date later on. But for now we don't have that beyond the shipper's imaginations.

Dex-chan lover
@orochijes Oh, I didn’t even think that I’m not the only one for who shoujo ai / yuri tag caused big doubts after reading the manga. It seems like now any female friendship-focused title can get such a tag.

@Purplelibraryguy In fact, the problem with shoujo ai is not that this term does not loophole in Japan, but that it became a very dirty lopphole for shippers when the work does not have actual lesbian content, but they really want to justify it. Every time a franchise like Eupho appears and people ignorantly try to pass it off as yuri, you will always hear something like “it's just shoujo ai, so there is nothing obvious”. People even forgot that originally it meant simply “pure romantic”, now it’s just a loophole to rationalize the real or imaginary yuri subtext. Not to mention that the manga got serialized in shonen magazine, and shonen publications very rarely publish yuri due to censorship restrictions and tastes of the audience.

@Shewy92 Looking in what context. It can also mean platonic love between girls in hard female nakama power works. But in this case, it was obviously put because of someone else's speculation.

Group Leader
You dumb motherfuckers, the shoujo ai tag was added because mute girl literally thinks "I love her!" at the end of Chapter 1, it's not rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread