The Princess of Sylph - Vol. 3 Ch. 11 - Snapdragon (3)

Group Leader
Planning to start uploading chapters from the original tomorrow over here.
First a big batch release, since the early chapters are all shorter and don't have much plot, which will catch us up to roughly where this version is. Then from there a new chapter every day/other day. Should take about 2-3 weeks, (then I can finally start working on extras.)

And this chapter is a particularly good starting point for the original. The stage is set for all the same events to play out. The sylph's walls were one of the final missing pieces, but also it shines a light on Sara's suicidal nature. In the original, she was ready to die before she even got the sword and I doubt that's changed here. This story started with Sara trying to give Natalia the will to live, but the heart of it is that relationship goes both ways.

It adds some nice context to earlier chapters, like 6 when Sara melancholically realized her resolve was wavering because she was falling for Natalia. Or chapter 2, when she was very willing to die to protect Natalia from the dire wolf. Speaking of which, remember how monsters hadn't gotten past the city walls in 300 years? I wonder if that's about to be relevant?

Luis remarks that lately people have started treating spirits and children of spirits the same, which applies to his family's demigod status but could also explain why Snake Princess is going around calling herself Undine. Her culture might have embraced it and treats their lord like a god themselves. It's something Kamejiro brought up years ago but it looks like we'll explore it in more depth later.

I might as well go over some key differences from the original doujinshi this flashback arc adapted too:

Originally, Sara intentionally set out to take Sylpheed in Natalia's place, because she was so weakened Sara was afraid the ritual would kill her. Luis was originally playfully standoffish with Sara, asking why she'd be dumb enough to take the sword (and half-die in the process), but happily helped her once she proved how much she cared about Natalia. Ultimately Sara needed Natalia's blood to survive the ritual, which only exhausted her more and undid any good Sara was trying to do. That's a recurring theme in this story you should watch out for.

In this version, it seems like Sara receiving Sylpheed was a complete accident, but Luis absolutely takes advantage of the situation. It's not explicit but it looked like he tricked Sara from the start; pulling the sprout into the sword is how you initiate the ritual. Maybe he wanted to test her first and was both impressed/concerned with how willing she was to give her life for Natalia. One of the flower meanings of snapdragons is deception after all, and he was awfully calm watching his sister's lifeline kill herself after confirming her intentions.

The state of peace in the land of wind is also an extreme change. In the original it was natural for the lord to go out using Sylpheed to pacify monsters, something the people were very confused by Natalia not doing. It's probably going to be Natalia's turn to take the spotlight in the coming chapters.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the chapters!!!

I love Sara, but I feel like not only did she become the plot driven, she also became the plot weaken. Sara's kind, thoughtful, clever, and even funny, but we've still not seen her human flaws so far, which makes the whole story seem less dimensional since she's the protagonist
But because her good and unique traits alone can be so interesting and fun to see, I'll stay and see if we can see more of her character

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
we've still not seen her human flaws so far
Isn't that what was meing shown this chapter?

Her intransigence around her religion, her martyr complex, her denial of herself and the way this entails a selfish foisting of responsibilities on others, her unwillingness to listen or work with change, etc.

Almost everything she was doing this chapter was her being flawed.

Dex-chan lover

Her intransigence around her religion, her martyr complex, her denial of herself and the way this entails a selfish foisting of responsibilities on others, her unwillingness to listen or work with change, etc.

I guess they want her to be edgy.

Dex-chan lover
The brother is an asshole. He totally patronized his sister, even taking decisions that should be hers to take. I don't like him one bit.

And that thing about there being no monsters, it's already proved wrong since Natalia already fought a wolf-type monster in one of the early chapters. And I bet many more are coming. And they have no sword to protect the kingdom. Stupid brother.

Dex-chan lover
lii5L2I.png

This face is everything lmao

Dex-chan lover
Planning to start uploading chapters from the original tomorrow.
First a big batch release, since the early chapters are all shorter and don't have much plot, which will catch us up to roughly where this version is. Then from there a new chapter every day/other day. Should take about 2-3 weeks, (then I can finally start working on extras.)

And this chapter is a particularly good starting point for the original. The stage is set for all the same events to play out. The sylph's walls were one of the final missing pieces, but also it shines a light on Sara's suicidal nature. In the original, she was ready to die before she even got the sword and I doubt that's changed here. This story started with Sara trying to give Natalia the will to live, but the heart of it is that relationship goes both ways.

It adds some nice context to earlier chapters, like 6 when Sara melancholically realized her resolve was wavering because she was falling for Natalia. Or chapter 2, when she was very willing to die to protect Natalia from the dire wolf. Speaking of which, remember how monsters hadn't gotten past the city walls in 300 years? I wonder if that's about to be relevant?

Luis remarks that lately people have started treating spirits and children of spirits the same, which applies to his family's demigod status but could also explain why Snake Princess is going around calling herself Undine. Her culture might have embraced it and treats their lord like a god themselves. It's something Kamejiro brought up years ago but it looks like we'll explore it in more depth later.

I might as well go over some key differences from the original doujinshi this flashback arc adapted too:

Originally, Sara intentionally set out to take Sylpheed in Natalia's place, because she was so weakened Sara was afraid the ritual would kill her. Luis was originally playfully standoffish with Sara, asking why she'd be dumb enough to take the sword (and half-die in the process), but happily helped her once she proved how much she cared about Natalia. Ultimately Sara needed Natalia's blood to survive the ritual, which only exhausted her more and undid any good Sara was trying to do. That's a recurring theme in this story you should watch out for.

In this version, it seems like Sara receiving Sylpheed was a complete accident, but Luis absolutely takes advantage of the situation. It's not explicit but it looked like he tricked Sara from the start; pulling the sprout into the sword is how you initiate the ritual. Maybe he wanted to test her first and was both impressed/concerned with how willing she was to give her life for Natalia. One of the flower meanings of snapdragons is deception after all, and he was awfully calm watching his sister's lifeline kill herself after confirming her intentions.

The state of peace in the land of wind is also an extreme change. In the original it was natural for the lord to go out using Sylpheed to pacify monsters, something the people were very confused by Natalia not doing. It's probably going to be Natalia's turn to take the spotlight in the coming chapters.
So both version would be available or just the original? Sorry today my brain doesn't want to do the effort can someone dumb it down for me?

Group Leader
So both version would be available or just the original? Sorry today my brain doesn't want to do the effort can someone dumb it down for me?
This one will have the original twitter manga, and extras for the serialized manga after that's done. The main story of the serialized manga stays here. This is just so I can avoid clutter. It'll be less confusing later.

Dex-chan lover

Sara has plenty of flaws, but I guess you could argue those flaws have never resulted in anything bad for her. Yes, she almost killed herself, but was rescued. She's reckless, but never really suffers consequences because the princess is there to fix it. So on and so forth. I get from where the complaint is coming from. Having said that, though, I feel it's still too early to have our characters losing/crippled because of their flaws.

Dex-chan lover
So....original and this serialized is different? I'm interest. Looking forward to it in mangadex. Thank you.

Comment for this chapter.. the bro don't want Sara to die. He know people who serving the royal only care for child of wind, not as human being. His judgement is right, the sister is very healthy in the future. Good bro. Lol

that thing about there being no monsters, it's already proved wrong since Natalia already fought a wolf-type monster in one of the early chapters. And I bet many more are coming. And they have no sword to protect the kingdom. Stupid brother.

That's right. Sara near the monster still can invade the city. This need explanation. All I think is that's because the wielder in the past 3000 years are the child of wind. This is the first time normal human being wields it. Maybe not strong enough to repel that? Or maybe someone release that hound?

Dex-chan lover
And that thing about there being no monsters, it's already proved wrong since Natalia already fought a wolf-type monster in one of the early chapters.
...Pretty sure that was just a normal wolf, not a wolf-type monster.

Dex-chan lover
No it was a monster. Confirmed in chapter 2. They literally called it a monster.
Yeah, by a civilian who wouldn't know the difference between a wolf ard a monster. No one who would know the difference calls it a monster.

Users who are viewing this thread