The Ravages of Time - Ch. 587 - The Sounds of the Borderland

Fed-Kun's army
Wow, Zhao Huo, that name's a throwback and half, all the way back to chapter 2. I always assumed he was killed by Liaoyuan Huo, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Dex-chan lover
Who do you mean by Zhao huo?
During the Xu Lin assassination mission Liaoyuan Huo (Zhao Yun) used the name Zhao Huo. The current name is caused by mistakes made by the three brothers. In the first instance, when Liu Bei asked him for his name, he pointed to flames (huo) in the distance but Liu Bei misunderstood and thought he was pointing at clouds (yun). In the second instance, he was impersonating an already-dead officer serving Gongsun Zan named Zi Long and the brothers thought that was his adult name. So, Zhao Yun / Zi Long.

This chapter suggests that there actually was a Zhao Huo.

BTW, I really like how this chapter captures the historical Zhuge Liang's most praised trait. He was noted as always having two possible solutions for every problem (like building twin fortress cities) then being able to proceed regardless of which solution ended up as the result of events.

Aggregator gang
During the Xu Lin assassination mission Liaoyuan Huo (Zhao Yun) used the name Zhao Huo. The current name is caused by mistakes made by the three brothers. In the first instance, when Liu Bei asked him for his name, he pointed to flames (huo) in the distance but Liu Bei misunderstood and thought he was pointing at clouds (yun). In the second instance, he was impersonating an already-dead officer serving Gongsun Zan named Zi Long and the brothers thought that was his adult name. So, Zhao Yun / Zi Long.

This chapter suggests that there actually was a Zhao Huo.

BTW, I really like how this chapter captures the historical Zhuge Liang's most praised trait. He was noted as always having two possible solutions for every problem (like building twin fortress cities) then being able to proceed regardless of which solution ended up as the result of events.
I'm pretty sure that's just Huo, the Zhaos and Wang Yi referred to him as such since they do not know his real identity.

And Chan Mou being cheeky.

Dex-chan lover
Man... Huang Hao and Lu Shan, huh? That makes me sad if you know what happens historically...

Fed-Kun's army
I'm pretty sure that's just Huo, the Zhaos and Wang Yi referred to him as such since they do not know his real identity.

And Chan Mou being cheeky.
Now that I re-read the 4th chapter that makes sense. My memories failed me because I thought that Zhao Xian always had a foster son but Liaoyuan Huo killed him and inpersonated him to get close to Xu Lin. And I guess the way this chapter was presented made me think that the guy sitting at the end there was "the actual" Zhao Huo, but now I think it's just his father-in-law, Fan Shuo.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Man... Huang Hao and Lu Shan, huh? That makes me sad if you know what happens historically...
This manhua is setting up a different Liu Shan than the one depicted in Romance. We are already seeing that this Liu Shan has both wisdom and a pacifistic tendency. I think Chan Mou is setting up a scenario like what Koei did with the Shu arc in Musou 6 (DW7) and above where Liu Shan would surrender his state to prevent further suffering of the people. In this case, this Huang Hao may actually turn out to be a loyal compatriot supporting his wishes.

Dex-chan lover
This manhua is setting up a different Liu Shan than the one depicted in Romance. We are already seeing that this Liu Shan has both wisdom and a pacifistic tendency. I think Chan Mou is setting up a scenario like what Koei did with the Shu arc in Musou 6 (DW7) and above where Liu Shan would surrender his state to prevent further suffering of the people. In this case, this Huang Hao may actually turn out to be a loyal compatriot supporting his wishes.
Oh, that's most certainly the case. But you never know sometimes with this author. Sometimes he throws in twists, and sometimes those twists is him just playing it totally straight. Though I like what you're suggesting a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread