The Rising of the Shield Hero

@swordmaster2551

You cannot compare WN and Manga, the two of them split up really early and from then on
the story of the manga becomes pretty light-hearted compared to the darkness of the novel. There is no Glass and those other "heroes" don't exist in the WN either [at least till halfway in, I haven't completed it yet], with the other 3 heroes being far more sinister and selfish.
There is no humanoform turtle familiar either, with the turtle being finished while it already broke into the city [it never battled with Fitoria].

I believe this manga just wants to play down the seriousness of the web novel [although it still is pretty graphic by times], with the anime adaption being a complete farce of what the story is actually about, the constant struggle of Naofumi against everything in this world.
And, of course, make it more "interesting" by spicing it up with some battle scenes deemed to be "interesting" for the reader.

To be honest, making it another predictable "sentai" series this way is what I dislike about this adaption.

For once you got a decent "isekai" story that doesn't remind you every 5 minutes that it's about a person who came from another world, and then it's ruined by putting generic elements in it (even if it's not generic isekai stuff, at least)...

No offense but that turtle arc is ..... Let just say this manga have seen better days.

On an other note, I'm starting to wonder if that's the fate that is reserved to those kind of isekais when they last for too long. I'm starting to feel the same way about Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken

Aggregator gang
@hugswingpolarisliverabovebowtie: Except technically Shield Hero ended long ago. The novel, anyway, back in 2015. We're just getting the manga adaptation as well as the light novel adaptation now, true THOSE are ongoing, but when you compare it to the novel, you realize they're stretching out a story (art-wise) that's already been completed.

This latest episode is dumb. The way for the villains to win is right there and they fight against the Vassal guy because reasons. Either world and all of it's innocents die depending on which set of heroes fail.

Dex-chan lover
To people who have read the novel, is it worth sticking with this series? The last few arcs, especially the turtle one, have been wayyyy worse than the start was.

@Tigerstar186

I'll let you know when I get there. I read the webnovel many years ago which had an ending that enraged the readers and the author wound up retconning the ending and continued on to a different end.

I just recently started reading volume 6 which starts with Naofumi returning from the island so I'm probably not too far from where the Manga is currently at.

Dex-chan lover
@tigerstar186 The story has peaked quite a while ago. It has a handful of interesting events here and there after current arc but really it's only worth if you want closure on it all.

i had this one on hold since chapter 53. so tried the latest chapter, hoping for cute bird and raccoon scenes, nope it's just a boring fight
my rating at this point has fallen to 6/10 probably time to drop it

Users who are viewing this thread