The Romcom Where the Childhood Friend Won't Lose! - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Contributor
Wow! Never saw that coming! The MC had a rad childhood secret that no one knee!!! This is the most refreshing manga I have read in a while after going through so many shitfest.

The childhood actor thing is a fun twist, and I see that is why he isnt acting. But how does this play into the story?

Double-page supporter
This is kinda like oresuki. It started off special but down the line, it became a generic harem romcom.

Dex-chan lover
so either the title really isn't a lie and eventually the childhood friend won't lose or we're being played like a fiddle and mc-kun will get with miss unlikable.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, for those that wondering why Haru's backstory matters to the plot:

Like it was just revealed, Haru is an ex-child actor like Abe stated. He was actually pretty damn good and had starred in multiple dramas. Why did he quit? Well, his mom was a stunt woman and had been given a rare opportunity to act in one of the dramas. Unfortunately, she ended up dying in an accident on-set(I forgot whether Haru actually saw it or not, but he definitely knew she died) and the studio decided to keep it a secret from the media and asked Haru to finish the drama. That happens and Haru quits acting right after because the trauma of the memory is so bad that he gets violently ill and can't act anymore.

@Freestyle
@RiceFarmerVN
@BZo1480

Please spoil me. Does this get any better?

Because right now we've got a petty protagonist who can't handle that the girl he likes (to whom he never confessed) started dating someone else and is set on breaking apart that relationship as if he's bloody entitled to the girl. And on top of that we've got that enabling childhood friend who, instead of calling out the protagonist on his obviously delusional and somewhat psychotic bullshit, goes along with it (not to mention that she seems to have a secret agenda).

So, please tell me, is there some twist to all of this? Is there someone we have yet to see that makes this story worth reading? Or will this story really remain a crapfest?

Dex-chan lover
Let me guess, the actor and the novelist aren't really dating and this is only a lie/misunderstanding.

Dex-chan lover
@dummyaccount12345

I only read vol.1 so i dunno, it gets interesting towards the end, enough for me to binge read the latter half of it. Most of the mysteries surrounding the 3 of theirs relationship gets solved but Kuroha does something extremely stupid at the end and regrets it immediately

What a wicked Uno card; trying to bait you with what at first seems like a promising option when in reality it's a one-way trip to hell.

Dex-chan lover
@dummyaccount12345
The childhood friend really doesn't have an agenda. Idk why the manga made it seem that way. She just wants to date the MC even if its pretend dating. She's an alot better girl in the LN since she's always put the MC feelings before herself. MC being a child actor is just the usual generic anime bs. He used to be a famous actor until he had some traumatic experience and all that jazz. I can just breifly summarize volume 1 if anyone is interested.

@Xoldin

Thanks! And I most definitely am interested. In the the third comment after my own Freestyle mentioned that the childhood friend messed up in the end. Could you elaborate on that?

Dex-chan lover
@dummyaccount12345
Well, at the Confession Festival, Haru and Kuro's plan is to humiliate Kachi like they established last chapter. The problem is that Haru legit falls for Kuro and actually confesses to Kuro after his performance instead of Kachi. Now, this was Kuroha's plan from the jump and she rejects him, but she immediately realizes that she literally had exactly what she wanted(Haru falling for her) and threw it all away just for her petty revenge scheme.

Dex-chan lover
@dummyaccount12345
like the comment before me said, the MC did confessed to Kuro in the end of the arc. Except the part that she planned it from the start was wrong. the beginning of Volume 2 says that she panicked during the confession and accidentally rejected him. (its really dumb, i know)

The basic run down of the plot is that Haru and Kuro pretend date to make katchi jealous. The thing is that Katchi was already doing that with Abe so the whole operation is pointless. Katchi knows that Haru was a child actor because they already met as kids (Haru doesn't remember). Although child Haru suddenly disappeared and she kind of resented him for that. (because his mom died in a acting accident, so he quitted being an actor, but no one told katchi) She asked Abe to pretend to be her boyfriend to sort of get back at Haru by making him jealous and want to steal her back during the confession festival. Abe goes along with Katchi's plan because he was a fan of Haru as a kid and wants him to go back into acting, so he pretended to be the antagonist to force Haru back to the acting world. She later learns Haru's backstory and regrets the whole thing, but its too late to turn back now. During the confession festival Haru was about to confess to Katchi, but realized last minute that Kuro was the better girl and confessed to her instead. But Kuro being a dumbass rejected him and now everyone is single, confused, and heartbroken.

Thats the gist of it. I skipped over a lot of parts so tell me if anything doesn't make sense and I'll clarify.

@Freestyle
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess it's worth reading after all.

@BZo1480
Thanks for elaborating on that!

@Xoldin
Thanks! That was an awesome summary; everything makes sense. I was considering reading the novel in order to sate my curiosity, but your summary did the trick, so, again, thanks!
Now, regarding the story itself, although that is a rather common twist (that the girl was only dating the guy to make the MC jealous), I was actually not expecting that, so I think that's an interesting development. The story isn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, though. Sure, the protagonist still sucks, and all the other characters seem to be somewhat messed up in the head (Katchi, who thought it'd be a good idea to get a pretend boyfriend to make the MC jealous; and Kuro, who just... well, yeah). Still, I'm glad Kuro doesn't have a hidden agenda. That's so common nowadays that a straightforward plot like this is rather welcome (though her rejecting him due to being too flustered is a major minus; that's a cheap way, although common (sadly), to add drama to the story). Anyway, thanks again!

EDIT:
Just read it. It seems like both you and BZo are right, at least partially. Part of the reason she rejected him was due to being surprised, but part of it was also revenge. Mere details, though.

Users who are viewing this thread