The Secret of the Partner Next to You - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
I hope that's not a NTR foreshadowing, please development please
More than anything, I think he's reacting to the "mesugaki" (lit. "fem-brat") bit.

From the little I know... it's a Japanese otaku term that can be understood as a "cheeky brat", denoting a character archetype of a girl* that teases a man... largely in regards to his sexual potency and virginity. She accordingly is also sexually provocative, in a way that-- I think, narratively speaking-- is meant to challenge the man to "teach her a lesson" (read: senselessly rape/have sex with her), as if to "prove" his masculinity. At least, that's what I understand given its seemingly regular association with the term "wakarase".

It would presumably be the case that this is sometimes executed in a way where the man doesn't flip the script, in which case it's a particular kind of femdom wherein (I assume) the male target's masculinity is successfully denied. Given the manhwa's premise, I heavily suspect that it's this variation that he's into. Still, it'd be embarrassing for him either way.

As the archetype becomes more regular in mainstream manga and anime, I suspect antics in mesugaki narratives are decidedly less sexual.

* I say that it's a female character archetype, but it's more usually affixed to characters with a "loli" aesthetic, with some liberality regarding the male target (could be a guy in her age range, could be a young adult man, could be a fat bastard). "Mesugaki" is still firstly a character archetype that theoretically can be affixed to any kind of female character.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
More than anything, I think he's reacting to the "mesugaki" (lit. "fem-brat") bit.

From the little I know... it's a Japanese otaku term that can be understood as a "cheeky brat", denoting a character archetype of a girl* that teases a man... largely in regards to his sexual potency and virginity. She accordingly is also sexually provocative, in a way that-- I think, narratively speaking-- is meant to challenge the man to "teach her a lesson" (read: senselessly rape/have sex with her), as if to "prove" his masculinity. At least, that's what I understand given its seemingly regular association with the term "wakarase".

It would presumably be the case that this is sometimes executed in a way where the man doesn't flip the script, in which case it's a particular kind of femdom wherein (I assume) the male target's masculinity is successfully denied. Given the manhwa's premise, I heavily suspect that it's this variation that he's into. Still, it'd be embarrassing for him either way.

As the archetype becomes more regular in mainstream manga and anime, I suspect antics in mesugaki narratives are decidedly less sexual.

* I say that it's a female character archetype, but it's more usually affixed to characters with a "loli" aesthetic, with some liberality regarding the male target (could be a guy in her age range, could be a young adult man, could be a fat bastard). "Mesugaki" is still firstly a character archetype that theoretically can be affixed to any kind of female character.
Thats an interesting insight and summary.

Users who are viewing this thread