The Skeleton Soldier Failed to Defend the Dungeon - Vol. 2 Ch. 133

Dex-chan lover
RIP Amazonian Waifu, see you next time around. Also CLANG doesn't sound like a deathblow unless he's fighting a robot.

Aggregator gang
People are surprised about Skelly being sentimental when every iteration has tried to save someone for sentimentality sake. The only recurring acquaintance that Skelly hasn't bothered to actively save is the wolf pup / skeleton pup.

Dex-chan lover
@PGOTP No, that's generally right. They's original singular usage is for ambiguous genders, assuming a knight is he without a particular reason to would be what's flawed, not the usage of they.

On the contrary, lots of series translators don't use it when they should. I'm not sure about korean, which this series is, but I know in japanese gender can often be ambiguous when referring to a stranger, and yet manga translations often fudge that.

Wouldn't be surprised if the original korean did refer to her in an ambiguous way instead of a masculine way, unless your comment is in reference to knowing the raws and it not being that way in the korean? Honestly, even if that's the case, if it's a korean limitation (which it may or may not be, don't know) they can still be absolutely appropriate in English, such is translating in general.

They as an ambiguous singular is hundreds of years old at the least, though 'he' for ambiguous people is also woefully used by some people too, in my opinion the former is much better but both are technically 'acceptable' even if the latter really shouldn't be. Basically, ambiguous he only exists as a colloquialism.

Anyways, sorry, you said you're not English native and still I dumped quite a bit on you, but TL;DR 'they' is totally acceptable, ideal even.

So, Rubia has escaped? Interesting ...

That said, it is really a shame Christina had to serve under that sleazebag ... but isn't Skellebro being a little too reliant on his reboots? He literally has no way to know if he will have another life at all to compensate who he kills :/

Anyway, we were left with with the MC literally hanging in the air ( you would only need a cliff to be a literal cliffhanger :D ). Surely this guy will be a tad tougher for sure, but even he said he is trying simply to save face and allow the remnants of his forces to retreat. He will get down most likely ...

Group Leader
@rrolo1 To clarify, nothing says that Rubia escaped from the towers. Kurk is referring to Rubia escaping from him by leaving Erast immediately after Skele was awakened. Thus why he mentions his orders to Yublam, the largest town close to Erast.

@ParaculasRevolution there is a novel for this manhwa, this manhwa is an adaptation of a novel, but it's in korean and the only translation available is MTL and only easily accessible till chapter 453 if I'm not mistaken (and the story doesn't end there).

@Fari wow, I didn't know it, thanks for correcting me and sharing info! I googled singular they and that's really a thing, my english textbooks never mentioned it... however I didn't learn english because of them, as they were crappy, but because of games online. Guess my learning was flawed. Is this common knowledge for native speakers (singular they and it's usage)?

I thought it'd be correct to assume the knight was he since the large majority of knights/troops/soldiers/etc both in real life and "magic medieval settings" are male (so you'd assume it is a male until proven otherwise), but if I were to know when singular they can be used I don't think I'd make this mistake.

Don't be sorry! I'm glad you teached me something new :). Also, I like english quite a lot and even wish it were my native language :( haha.

Dex-chan lover
@PGOTP Happy to help! Always glad to help singular they's usage. It's fairly common I'd say? I learned it when I was a little kid (like 20 years ago), and I've seen it in lots of media such as games and books both in the past and more recently.

Yeah it is true that assuming a knight is he isn't too faulty all in all, granted in fantasy series there seems to be more exceptions. But yeah, might as well use they when it exists largely for that purpose, haha. There are a lot of native english speakers who do default to just saying he ambiguously as well, but they is a lot better for my money.

Well, I'm glad to impart some knowledge! Hope your English growth continues nicely :)

@Fari

Technically, given the non-human creatures around in the setting ( from shapeshifting worms and slimes to animated statues with dead sorcerers souls inside ... not mentioning the MC itself :p ), even "it" would be acceptable from someone like Skellebro ( it would be weird from someone that thinks there are only humans around, though ). But it would definitely sound problematic ( like if the char was implying that the being in front of him was non-human , something that is not happening here ), so better not use it ;)

Group Leader
@rrolo1 A very good point! I actually did use the word 'it' when skelly was wondering if Christina was an actual ogre.

@prstone

Now that I reread it ... yup, you did use "it" at that part ;)

Now should I bask in praise or admit I had skimmed that until you mentioned it and just was recalling the olden days I did translations from English in another lifetime? ... Hum, choices :D

Double-page supporter
how many times will this guy have to be reborn to get the perfect timeline?

Users who are viewing this thread