The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 13

I know that we like to think that our modern ideas are just natural and if anyone took a moment to think about it they would agree, but let me illustrate how many steps she's skipping to make that free marriage request.

In Sherlock Holmes, one of the stories hinged on the fact that the villains didn't realize that while they were out of the country (England) the laws had changed, and that a woman had to consent for a marriage to be legal. So they kidnapped and "married" an heiress while she was tied up... and this was 1880s Europe not 1500 feudal kingdoms.

Dex-chan lover
That's honestly kind of bad writing. Am I supposed to believe that in this world, it's such an important thing to marry for love as opposed to the wishes of the parents? This is despite the explicit fact that we see filial piety still held high in this society. It's important enough that she could bring it up to the emperor and have it taken seriously?

Yes, I'm applying real world thinking to this. Am I supposed to not do that? That part just disappointed me.

@comeonnow0 i think it's more he's placating her since he just came across a golden goose egg so to speak. ( although it could be he actually is open to the idea and simply had never given it much thought. i dunno...maybe it is just bad writing)

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow0 P.S. Rereading this a second time so im going through pages like the wind. Also, im sleepy, think too much, but not making proper decisions in deciding to reply to a 4 month ago comment.

I think the "love marriage" part is slightly more subjective in this case. While there is a political/filial piety side to things, both men and women should have "some love" for each other. At the very least, enough to accept each other. Otherwise the the women would sign themselves up to become property while the men sign themselves up to get backstabbed by a hateful woman.

Basically, I think Ivona is doing roughly 2 things between this chapter and the previous one

1. She is skilled and therefore an asset since she is an assistant to the Golden Summoner. While Gaspal is supposedly "of bigger value" she has the Duke on her side. At the same time implying that she is treated like an assistant, not a fiance.

2. It wasn't just a loveless marriage. It was a hateful marriage. She absolutely hates Gaspal to the extent of making said request to the Emperor. At the same time, this curries favor with a faction of nobility to show that she isn't just "some slut that jumped ship".

It WOULD be bad writing if the King straight up agrees but the King only gave a flimsy reply. This would be normal since Duke Sacred Sword is almighty.

Users who are viewing this thread