The Struggle of Being Reincarnated as the Marquess's Daughter: I'll Deal with What's Coming to Me! - Vol. 2 Ch. 9

Dex-chan lover
O . o
What is this fuckery... fortune telling.... as a business... in a medieval setting? People looking funny at you is the least of your worries. Your lucky to have not been arrested, run out of town, or just as likely stoned to death where you sat. Honestly, save the fake mystic fortune telling for modern-day school festival arcs, not a superstitious medieval castletown where people are overworked and taxed into near starvation.

Dex-chan lover
O . o
What is this fuckery... fortune telling.... as a business... in a medieval setting? People looking funny at you is the least of your worries. Your lucky to have not been arrested, run out of town, or just as likely stoned to death where you sat. Honestly, save the fake mystic fortune telling for modern-day school festival arcs, not a superstitious medieval castletown where people are overworked and taxed into near starvation.
She has a plethora of modern choices shed know about even as a hospitsl kid and she chooses the 1 that could have major repercussions.

Dex-chan lover
O . o
It's not Earth. What do we even know of the religion and culture? Even in RL, the medieval people often had a pretty conflicting view of the supernatural. They could have been deeply religious, but also could have believed in all sorts of charms, spells, and other non-Christian things to get the luck on their side or ward off evil. Astrology has always been huge, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. It's also good to remember that Christianity didn't fulfill a void. Before it Europe was full of other religions. Christianity even saw it efficient to rededicate old "pagan" celebrations/events to Christian events, to make it easier to convert people. Old customs and beliefs lingered from the pre-Christian religions and beliefs. Most of the time the clergy ignored it, as long as it didn't become too glaring.

Dex-chan lover
It's not Earth. What do we even know of the religion and culture?
Fair, I use this argument rather frequently myself. However even though she is a reincarnator, its clear she didnt bother researching the local culture either and ends up just looking suspicious. In the end it just feels like the author forced a quick way for the sisters to talk, while keeping their identities hidden from each other.
Even in RL, the medieval people often had a pretty conflicting view of the supernatural. They could have been deeply religious, but also could have believed in all sorts of charms, spells, and other non-Christian things to get the luck on their side or ward off evil. Astrology has always been huge, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity.
NGL, I don't find it hard to believe that those who put their faith In a work of fiction, would be easily swayed by superstitions and con men.
It's also good to remember that Christianity didn't fulfill a void. Before it Europe was full of other religions. Christianity even saw it efficient to rededicate old "pagan" celebrations/events to Christian events, to make it easier to convert people. Old customs and beliefs lingered from the pre-Christian religions and beliefs. Most of the time the clergy ignored it, as long as it didn't become too glaring.
Yeah, I'm not good with organized religion. To much hypocrisy, and need to control how others live their lives. Your casual dismissal of over a thousand years of witch hunts, indoctrination, and ethnic cleansing shows just how out of touch with their past that modern religions are these days.

Dex-chan lover
Your casual dismissal of over a thousand years of witch hunts, indoctrination, and ethnic cleansing shows just how out of touch with their past that modern religions are these days.
The witch hunts didn't last a thousand years in any one place, as far as I know. They began earlier in the southern Europe, moved north, and across the Atlantic, but also quieted down in the south earlier in turn. The number of victims, while tragic, was still a mere speck compared to the deaths caused by all the diseases rampaging across Europe at the same time, so people dying left and right was the norm in those times. Also, what does it matter if the religions are out of touch with distant past in such shameful matters? All the victims are hundreds of years past caring. We also know for a fact quite a good portion of the victims got accused for reasons that had nothing to do with any kind of witchcraft or pagan beliefs. People just conveniently got rid of others they didn't like.

Dex-chan lover
The witch hunts didn't last a thousand years in any one place, as far as I know. They began earlier in the southern Europe, moved north, and across the Atlantic, but also quieted down in the south earlier in turn.
Not really, they just got rebranded. While I wouldn't go so far as to say the majority of racism and homophobia has its roots in religion, its kind of chilling when the ultra conservative religous family members use the hard R word not five minutes after talking about how the "gays" need to be fixed in re-education camps. Then when they realize your in the room the conversation quickly changes to bake sales and who is going to be doing Missionary work in the godless countries. As I said, I'm not overly good with organized religion. The family really helped open my eyes to the real hypocrisy in their hippy trippy, Kumbaya bullshit. I'm just glad I'm a straight white male...
The number of victims, while tragic, was still a mere speck compared to the deaths caused by all the diseases rampaging across Europe at the same time, so people dying left and right was the norm in those times. Also, what does it matter if the religions are out of touch with distant past in such shameful matters? All the victims are hundreds of years past caring. We also know for a fact quite a good portion of the victims got accused for reasons that had nothing to do with any kind of witchcraft or pagan beliefs. People just conveniently got rid of others they didn't like.
Sorry m8, but because they are not openly burning witchs at the stake, or able to legally torture someone to death for their sins, hardly means the persecution, harassment, and act of violence are not carried out on a regular basis. And lets not get started on the travesty that is stoning and genital mutilation in Northern Africa and the Middle East.

It's easy to be ignorant when your so indoctrinated that you believe their lies that everything is ok, and you don't need to fact check or do your own independent research. But shit get real rather fast if you befriend wrong person or take up a hobby that conflicts with their religious views.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread