The Twins' Circumstances - Vol. 1 Ch. 15 - Greeeeeen

Dex-chan lover
@StaK you seem to have misunderstood my comment. I was lamenting the cookie cutter nature of the love rival trope and how prolific it is within the manga industry. In the hundreds of manga I have read with romance there are love rivals in most of them, almost always female. The rare occasion it is male it's shoujo but even then it's rare. My lament is that, why is it almost always female? Why is there no variation? Why does there almost always have to be one?

I know the answers so those questions are rhetorical; most of these manga are aimed at males and as such are pandering to that. It's the later of those 3 questions that irritates me the most. If I had a $£ for every manga I've started reading with a romance tag that turned into a love triangle or harem I'd be effectively getting paid to read manga at this point.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
@MacMeaties

do you mean you'd prefer if there is a male rival to the male Mc in a shounen/seinen romance manga ? , if so, there are LOTS:

TAKAHASHI Rumiko's manga: ranma 1/2 , innuyasha (kouga) , etc.
seo kouji's manga: suzuka, Kimi no Iru Machi, etc.
SASUGA Kei 's manga: domestic no kanojo , good ending
yesterday no waratte
ichigo 100%
onani master kurosawa
Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
school rumble
Nana to Kaoru
Hetakoi
billionaire girl
Destroy All Humankind. They Can’t Be Regenerated.
nana to kaoru
unbalance x unbalance
genshiken

of course , female love rival for the female MC are still more common in shounen/seinen , but male rivals clearly do exist in shonen/seinen manga , and the male rival sometimes even win.

for shoujo/josei: there are lots more male rivals for male MCs: around 1/2 of shoujo series have at least one male rival

Dex-chan lover
@cgr nah man I didn't mean I preferred male rivals :) Was just having a slightly hyperbolic moan about the trope that drifted a bit honestly.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, I actually like this girl now. Too bad she has absolutely 0% of a chance.

"Uwu I just saw this guy 2 seconds ago who looks handsome and is nice and want to make him fall in love with me and completely disregard the woman who loves and is loved by him since childhood"
If you thought you were getting sympathy from me bitch, you got another thing coming

Users who are viewing this thread