The Villainess Became a Commoner - Vol. 2 Ch. 11

Dex-chan lover
certainly a bit sad with this ending, I was wondering if it got axed, but considering the amount of skipped content, I'm guessing it may have been the intention from the start, thus the Security people were skipped, and any references to this being the same world to the one he lived before are also gone.

I'm quite impressed that this is a webnovel to manga, so it's hard to say it's an Ad Manga, since there is no other medium, like, what is it advertising? A free WebNovel? Obviously not the case.

I think the most likely case is that the mangaka may have been a newcomer, so he failed in doing a proper adaptation of the story, I have felt it a lot during the scene transitions as I was reading these chapters.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for finishing it. That uh, wasn't that good IMO. Maybe the novel manages a lot better but as an adaptation? Eh. Still, closure is closure.

Dex-chan lover
This manga has been very underwhelming, it didn’t live up to the L

Yeah figures that this wouldnt go on for much longer but wow thats a shit ending
No central conflict, No arc and no clossure
This was like 11 chapters of filler
The web novel goes on way longer, and has much more story to it. This was just like a teaser, and skipped a ton of stuff.

Dex-chan lover
certainly a bit sad with this ending, I was wondering if it got axed, but considering the amount of skipped content, I'm guessing it may have been the intention from the start, thus the Security people were skipped, and any references to this being the same world to the one he lived before are also gone.

I'm quite impressed that this is a webnovel to manga, so it's hard to say it's an Ad Manga, since there is no other medium, like, what is it advertising? A free WebNovel? Obviously not the case.

I think the most likely case is that the mangaka may have been a newcomer, so he failed in doing a proper adaptation of the story, I have felt it a lot during the scene transitions as I was reading these chapters.
It's an attempt to drum up sales for the Light Novel, which has only had one volume so far (which would cover more than two volumes of manga, typically. Published by Gentosha.

Banned
A pity the manga was axed so long ago, the novel is actually fun. Is it a masterpiece? Nah, but it is good.

thanks for the translation/update. MTL is fine when it is at least proofread to make sense and this made sense fine.

Banned
Yeah figures that this wouldnt go on for much longer but wow thats a shit ending
No central conflict, No arc and no clossure
This was like 11 chapters of filler
The novel has more, this was axed manga or just promo For ln lol. I do so hate when things are just promo for another form of media.

Dex-chan lover
For people complaining about manga being axed. IMO, this is a hard one to manga-ize (that's a word now). It's one of those stories that is much heavier on dialog and MC thoughts -- which doesn't work well in pictures. What you get here is (some of) the events, but almost none of the characterization.

I'll see if I can give an example: One of the things skipped in the manga. After the watch situation is resolved...

Because of Kotone's adult personality, she tends to pick up more adult friends, and the principal becomes one of them. While the principal is very skilled and competent in running the school, he's also weak on personal relationships, and particularly in dealing with women. And he's interested in the school nurse (Saeki), and he wants Kotone (one of his students!!!) to help him set that up. Why Kotone? Because of her calm, competent, adult personality, and because Akane (Kotone's neighbor, aka the hospital nurse) is friends with both Saeki and Kotone have (in fact, she has Kotone making breakfast for her and calls Kotone her "wife").

So Kotone starts trying to help with the principal, but the principal is pretty much an idiot on this sort of thing, and keeps coming up with bad ideas which Kotone has to shoot down. So Kotone gets a bit aggravated, and starts losing her "polite female student" speech and talking more like annoyed friend/equal. (This is in private, though one of the student council members overhears it and is completely surprised by it.)

It's around that time that the principal recommends Kotone to help with the student council. Kotone is reluctant to do this because she thinks that it's too much of a hassle, but principal wants to do it to help Kotone redeem her reputation, so the principal bribes Kotone with a bag of high class coffee beans. (Which Kotone definitely wants, but which is outside of her budget.)

BTW, Saeke (who drinks like a fish) wants a man who can drink with her. Get ready for hangover-hell, principal-san!

So, it's a complicated situation, and most of the humor comes through the extended dialog, what Kotone is thinking, and the strong personalities of the people around her. And that's just hard to translate into a manga.

Ah here's a chunk of dialog/thought from that...
Starting with the principal bribing Kotone. Kishita (SC secretary is also present)...

Come to think of it, just today there were rumors that some of the 3rd year boys were brought to the infirmary due to stomach aches. I guess they sneaked some bites out of half-cooked meat or something. Well, it’s unrelated to me. Accepting the current situation I’m in, I poured myself another cup and ignored their following conversation.
There’s no meaning in me listening anyway. I’m not in any club after all.

「As I thought, you’re having quite some trouble. It’s about time for things to get busy too.」
「That’s right. Frankly speaking, we’re absolutely lacking in people right now.」
「I see. Kisaragi, do you have free time?」

Why are you bringing the conversation to me? Absolutely not, I’m not helping the student council. It’s pretty much the home base of people Kotone brought trouble to last year, so I really don’t want to go. I’ve had enough of being dragged into trouble.
Besides, I’m not going to work for free. Even now I already have my hands full with the principal’s love consultation, why should I add to my own problems?

「You’ll be compensated for your work, so could you aid them?」
「I respectfully decline.」

Ah, Kishita looks shocked. Well yeah. After all, I just refused the principal immediately, no questions asked. I was a bit swayed when he talked about compensation, but it’s still not enough. To begin with, wouldn’t I only get in their way if I go there?

Mostly on the mental level.

「I see. Just to ask, are you confident with your clerical capabilities?」
「Somewhat.」

If I consider my past life, I should be able to do well as long as I’m working on a PC but being frank here probably wouldn’t do me any good, so I gave a vague answer. Still, what does the principal see in me?

「I’ve told the Student Council about your situation, so it should be easy to improve your relations with them though.」
「The president has also shown interest in you, Kisaragi.」

Oi, principal. What are you leaking other people’s information for? The same goes with Teacher Kondou, why do people treat my information so lightly? And president, why are you interested in me? You’ve been plenty troubled last year too. I mainly remember following him around and recruiting him to be my underling or something, I think.

And obviously, he declined. Which was natural.

「Such a shame. I was thinking of paying with free cafeteria meal coupons too.」
「Guhk-」

That’ll cut my lunch expenses. Besides, I’m also curious about the cafeteria’s menu. I’d love to eat food other than my own cooking occasionally. And I want to eat meat. I shouldn’t ponder over this, what if this gets me straight into trouble?

「If you had accepted right now, I planned on adding a bag of coffee too.」
「I accept!」

Damn it! Coffee is cheating. That’s the only luxury item for me, you know? Moreover, the coffee I’ve been drinking has a great aroma and a delicious taste, as you would expect from high-class coffee. While only a bag, if I’m getting some of this, then I’ll play your game.

Damn, I hate that smile of his. Remember this, b̲a̲s̲t̲a̲r̲d̲.

「Well then, principal, please submit another one again. And please, carefully contemplate what I have told you before.」
「R-right. Come check it again later.」

I left the principal’s office with Kishita and together we headed for the student council office. However, there’s not a single exchange between us and it’s awkward. I don’t particularly feel animosity from Kishita, so she’s probably just like this normally.
Still, I wonder how the principal described me to the student council. He didn’t exaggerate anything, did he?

「Kishita, if I may ask, could you tell me what the principal has said about me?」
「I was told that you’ve gotten manly.」
「Pardon me, I need to go back for a moment to smack the principal’s head.」

Again, you can find the WN (translation ongoing) at https://re-library.com/translations/the-villainess-becomes-a-commoner/

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I have one question and only one. What about the watch? Do we know if she can replace it eventually or why that girl's mother had such expensive watch?

Dex-chan lover
I have one question and only one. What about the watch? Do we know if she can replace it eventually or why that girl's mother had such expensive watch?
I thought the manga handled this, but maybe not fully. In the WN at the end of the incident, Kotone gets the repaired watch back, with Uzuki having been forced to cover the (large) bill. (Note: Aside from the sentimental value to Kotone, the watch has the practical importance of hiding the wrist scar.) And yes, in the WN you do get to learn eventually why Saori (the mom) had such an expensive watch yet treated it so lightly.

Group Leader
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I had actually just cleaned chapter 9 not that long ago and was planning on doing it after I caught up with a couple of other series I was translating. Tbh there were other manga I wanted to translate more, but I had already worked on this one and felted kinda obligated to finish it since there were only 3 chapters left, so you helped me out a lot

Double-page supporter
Thanks for translating this one. I really liked it because of the slice-of-life approach to it. There was none of that crazy gender swapping fiasco that MC usually do when they find themselves in such a predicament, and because of that I really enjoyed reading a mature MC just trying to get through the usual pitfalls and highs of life in another person's body.

Wish they had released more manga of it, but I guess I'll have to settle with the novels instead.

Users who are viewing this thread