The Villainess Turns the Hourglass - Vol. 3 Ch. 98

Dex-chan lover
I don’t why, but I keep thinking about Mielle’s death even months later. She was a cruel, arrogant, classist fool. She’s not even on par with some of manhwa’s most spiteful ladies, like Rashta from Remarried Empress or Sumin from Marry my Husband. She deserved all the punishments she got.
But when she finally got beheaded, I realized that as awful as she was, she was also the most pitiful character in the series. She was twisted by the nobles around her, manipulating her into being the prime example of a noble lady. She ended taking all the negative attributes instead and being stubborn until the end, because she only knew how to be what she was and nothing else. And all she did upon her death was smile and imagine a world where she could make a different choice, the path to real happiness.
I dunno, Mielle was a grade-A bitch, but she went out like an old snarling dog waiting for the sweet release of death. At least she’s free from her own depravity.

Dex-chan lover
I don’t why, but I keep thinking about Mielle’s death even months later. She was a cruel, arrogant, classist fool. She’s not even on par with some of manhwa’s most spiteful ladies, like Rashta from Remarried Empress or Sumin from Marry my Husband. She deserved all the punishments she got.
But when she finally got beheaded, I realized that as awful as she was, she was also the most pitiful character in the series. She was twisted by the nobles around her, manipulating her into being the prime example of a noble lady. She ended taking all the negative attributes instead and being stubborn until the end, because she only knew how to be what she was and nothing else. And all she did upon her death was smile and imagine a world where she could make a different choice, the path to real happiness.
I dunno, Mielle was a grade-A bitch, but she went out like an old snarling dog waiting for the sweet release of death. At least she’s free from her own depravity.
Definitely an interesting character. She never questioned the advice of those she trusted, and never let herself question her convictions. Even as her world fell apart, Mielle kept jumping from one sin to the next. You could call her a product of her society/upbringing, but she never took the responsibility to actually question her actions. Mielle turned off her brain and refused to hold herself accountable. A true noble to the very end.

I can't help but feel bad for Mielle, while fully agreeing with her death. But I think I would've said the same of Aria in her past life.

After all, pastAria tormented and viscously hurt her own maids and the people who tried to get close to her. She had people kicked out on the streets and tortured Jesse. And just like Mielle in her new life, though others may have manipulated pastAria, she chose to make her wicked decisions. At the end of the day the reason pastAria died was due to her own actions. presentMielle is very much the same.

Last edited:
Supporter
damn. I thought I would be disappointed when Mielle died, but that was actually a really good end.

my favorite character in this series. well said by those above.
I've read a lot of stories but never seen anything quite like this

Dex-chan lover
Mielle is such a tragic character. Because even with Aria intentionally drawing things out for more sweet revenge, it created numerous chances where she could've genuinely changed. And after killing her brother, she almost was on the cusp of it.

But instead she chose to double down on it, tragically, only perhaps at best having some clarity in death.

In a alternate world, Aria even out for vengeance, would've had mercy if Mielle would've repented and their relationship could've been repaired. She still would have to live with her consequences,but she could've lived a humble life.

Initially I really disliked Aria. She was vindictive and petty(though she had 100% justification)(I don't think it is right to punish someone for something they haven't actually done, especially without at least extending one last olive branch).(it is not completely unlike bullying the bully, 2 wrongs don't make a rignt)

But as time grew on Aria abandoned her proper plotting, and just focused primarily on amassing wealth and power to survive, rather than getting back. Letting Mielle and others dig their own holes, they could've easily avoided if only they repented.

Aria earned my respect as the series progressed, showing remarkable restraint. And then, even if it was expecting Mielle to finish herself off, Aria seemed to genuinely give her chances. Even egging Mielle on to "prank"(poison) Annie, seemed like it was pushing Mielle to a crossroads. One where Mielle could determine those actions are wrong, and not follow through. They may never repair the relationship between them(certainly there is negative obligation to even try), what Mielle already had done was way too much. But had Mielle turned her ways, it could've become a good conclusion where they come to a mutual understanding, where she lives a quiet humble life, and perhaps genuinely appreciates the chances.

In the end, I would still critique Aria in one way. Letting the Brother die like that, when she specifically was prepared to save a life, was ice cold, particularly because she was responsible for him being alive, and even being there to drink poisoned tea in the first place. She was the one who gave him a chance, and he genuinely seemed to accept it and was repenting. She literally had the ability to save him easily, but didn't, even after his and Mielles true colors were shown there. And Mielle still could've been beheaded for attempted murder.

It was like the ethical trolley dilemma, only the train is heading towards one person, and all the other person had to do is pull the lever and a life is saved for free.

It just would've been nice if one of the family could have properly changed their ways and live their life. Just like there can be life that is worse than death, a person living their life repentent can be better than death.

But in the end,it is great Aria can live a happy life. She certainly deserves it.

Dex-chan lover
Definitely an interesting character. She never questioned the advice of those she trusted, and never let herself question her convictions. Even as her world fell apart, Mielle kept jumping from one sin to the next. You could call her a product of her society/upbringing, but she never took the responsibility to actually question her actions. Mielle turned off her brain and refused to hold herself accountable. A true noble to the very end.
in the end, I think it is because she never took responsibility or questioned anything that she can most be said to be a product of her society.

It was really a nice ending. I would love to see a story when everything is working good between the two sisters :p

Dex-chan lover
This is very intriguing. I really despise Mielle. A self-centered entitled spoiled brat that she is, as her last actual words seen here are "I'm so miserable". I must say that I am really disappointed with the outcome. I hate the fact that she find solace in her death. It could be because of her sanity waning away that she's able to delude herself into a "future" in which she's experiencing happiness, but it doesn't sit quite right to me. The sole fact that she had a smile on her face.

As much as I'm disappointed, I don't think I will make a comment about it and will think of this as another villainess manwha. It's a series worth noticing. But God I wish Mielle suffer even in death.

Dex-chan lover
I have mixed feeling about her death. she died happy and smiling clinging to her delusion of "what if" dreams. which is true to her character but I kinda want her to suffer after being exile with a hope that she's may or may not change. because letting her die like that is kinda make her getting a pyrrhic victory. she died but able to uphold her noble pride and make an impact to our MC.

Honestly, I think they would've been great sisters if Mielle wasn't so evil/if Mielle didn't take the advice of the other characters.

Users who are viewing this thread