Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Finnish internet.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Group Leader
I've been having problems with my internet quite bad recently, about a few months ago. It has always been bad for gaming, but this year, it was the worst. All of my devices, note 3, note 10, PC, TV, tablet, anything that can connect to the internet have been getting frequent disconnections randomly. They often get disconnected at the same time, but sometimes, my PC can still work, but my phone doesn't. Or the TV can still run Youtube, but my phone or PC are disconnected. Usually when this happens, I'd have to disable and reenable my wifi to get a connection. On my phone, it usually works, but not always. My PC has a harder time with this method, though. If this doesn't work, I can only wait or manually unplug and plug in the router's power cable again.

Besides the default router, I also have a wifi extender in the room. It says 5G, but I wonder... Doesn't seem like it helps much, though. My devices are connected to the extender's connection. But no matter if I connect to the router or the extender, the connection is still bad. If the connection goes out, connecting to either one doesn't work. Worst is when I play online games, like CS or BF, connection drops very often. I get lag spikes, lag, disconnection warning, straight disconnect from servers often when I play CS. BF is even worse. Can barely finish a match without getting the "connection to EA has been lost" message. Seems like EA servers are worst than Valve servers, though, since I get booted from the game even if Youtube is still working. But who knows, maybe it kicks me out even with just a slight internet drop.

The place I live in has a lot of big trees, so I can see how the internet is this bad. Would it help to buy a new router this Black Friday? What other problems could there be, besides the router? It's about 6 years old, I think. How much should I spend on a router? I don't play that many online games, but it'd nice to not have disconnections this frequently. Still doing research on choosing a router, but if you have any helpful advice, please share. Do I need to ask the internet company, or is it just plug-and-use? That white cable at the back seems pretty sturdy, though.

This is my speed test for the extender.

Untitled.jpg

Don't let the number fool you, lol. Usually it's 50, but I guess I'm the only one using the internet right now. If I connect to the router, it's 25 or so.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Somehow I knew it was you without being able to see the OP.

Idk man, sounds like it is your company's router that is failing, in my house the moment the internet starts failing like you said, we'd call the company and ask them if it's a singular case or an entire section, then we would ask them to send a technician or something. If you have tried this and still doesn't work, I suppose you should change the router.

Dex-chan lover
Try moving the extender right next to the router and just connecting to the extender.

The router at my family's old house a few years back was complete shit. It turned out to be the signal strength. I bought a WiFi extender, put it right next to the shit router, and the signal strength easily reached the entire house, which is impressive considering we lived in a space mansion.

The router I got was the TP-Link AC2300 Wifi Router.

Group Leader
@Richman No, I haven't called the provider or technician yet. I'm not the one responsible for internet fee, my brother is, and asking him anything is a pain in the neck. Figured it'd be faster if I just get a new router...

@bigtiddyoneesan I haven't tried setting the extender near the router yet. Not sure if my brother did, since he bought it. Maybe. But it makes more sense to put it in my room than together with the router in the living room, no? Though, honestly, our house isn't that big. My room isn't more than 10 steps away from the router. Even when I am right next to the router, I still get disconnected.

Now I gotta figure out which one to get... =.=

Dex-chan lover
@Mr_Detective
But it makes more sense to put it in my room than together with the router in the living room, no?
Not necessarily. The extender boosts the signal at the strength it receives the signal. If it's getting, say, 5 mbps in your room, then it's only going to extend that 5 mbps signal further.

If the problem is just a signal that drops off fast, then putting the extender right next to the router should fix it. If that doesn't work, then yeah, it's best to call your provider and/or get a new base router altogether.

Group Leader
So, if I keep getting random disconnects, is that the router or the signal strength's problem? Lemme try moving the extender later. But why is it that sometimes all of my devices are disconnected, while other times, only either my phone or PC loses connection? Sometimes, I need to unplug the router to reset it completely.

Also, like I stated, the place I live in has a lot of big trees. Would getting a new router change anything?

Dex-chan lover
Assuming you're not in a rural area, no, the trees shouldn't do anything to your signal. Before buying anything, it would help to know the wifi speed of others that live nearby so you can see if it really is just the area.

Personally, I'd try moving the extender right next to the router and only connecting to the extender. If the speed/disconnect issues persist, then the problem is something else (most likely the router is just shit).

Users who are viewing this thread