What Do You Think About Ultra Hi-Res Scanlations?

Dex-chan lover
Lately I've seen more uploads (English) with image resolutions above x3000 or even x6000.
That of course is fine, as it is still within mangadex limit, which is mindblowingly x10000,
Always appreciate the uploads, btw
However, I honestly couldn't feel the benefit of it when I read it either on my home PC, my phone, or my iPad

I have three 24 inch monitors on my PC, and I use fit page to screen setting when reading manga, so I can't see a difference for images larger than x~1100. If anything, I only noticed that it was ultra hi-res because it took a few milliseconds longer than usual to display the next image
(because fakku, I consider x1920 is normal, x3200 is still fast, and anything beyond that causes a slight delay)
(is it because my 7 years old 1080Ti?)

And then I only felt the downside of it when I read on my phone when I was outside.
Zenfone10 is such a small phone, so all I get is blew up my mobile data loading those images,
Especially these past couple months, since I got to travel a lot and I don't want to miss any updates.

My problem on iPad is unrelated to image size. It's just that my iPad + safari has like a weird timeout when loading a page. So a lot of time it just stop loading the images and I need to refresh the whole page (chapter) to load the images all over again.
Usually I need to refresh 1 chapter multiple times before it can load the whole thing. Good thing it's on wifi, because if the images were huge, it would've cost a lot

So that is just my rant because I was surprised I consumed that much of mobile data just to read manga during my travel,
and January isn't over yet,
but that is just my experience on it.

I might say something different if I had like a huge 4K monitor, tho.
I don't know, maybe only then I'll feel the need for those ultra hi-res images.
Or maybe when reading manga inside VR becomes a thing, then ultra hi-res images might be a good thing too.

File Attacher
Staff
Super Moderator
I was surprised I consumed that much of mobile data just to read manga during my travel
Could always enable data saver in the MD settings, it's device specific so you'll still get the full res glory on the pc but a bit more reasonable on the other devices

Dex-chan lover
Could always enable data saver in the MD settings, it's device specific so you'll still get the full res glory on the pc but a bit more reasonable on the other devices
oh really?
I'll check that
thanks

Group Leader
I think
oh really?
I'll check that
thanks
You should also check real paper!! It's so good, you can feel them with your hand, smell them with your nose, see them with your beautiful eyes. To be honest with you, me eyes always teary when i read mango on my phone for 3 hours straight, but dont get me wrong i can stare at it for 12 hours if i read some good doujin, especially when i see them tiddies, a @bigtiddyoneesan especially. Damn, bro. Arent those heavy, Ma'am? Might as well i help you with those with these hands.

Trust, me bro. you should check it out with your beautiful eyes, because if you dont have any, that's my world without you, bro.

Dex-chan lover
I think

You should also check real paper!! It's so good, you can feel them with your hand, smell them with your nose, see them with your beautiful eyes. To be honest with you, me eyes always teary when i read mango on my phone for 3 hours straight, but dont get me wrong i can stare at it for 12 hours if i read some good doujin, especially when i see them tiddies, a @bigtiddyoneesan especially. Damn, bro. Arent those heavy, Ma'am? Might as well i help you with those with these hands.

Trust, me bro. you should check it out with your beautiful eyes, because if you dont have any, that's my world without you, bro.
haha, so that's what you mean

no worries
I also bought physical manga and novels from time to time

I have dozens in my home country
I have the full volumes of old regular manga like Doraemon, Dragon Ball, Rave, etc.
(or should I say 'I had', because most of them are quite damaged now)
several volumes of shonen titles like Naruto or the never ending Conan and One Piece, obviously
(I don't buy physically any titles that I think I'll need to explain what the story is if my family ever ask about it)
I just went full digital around 2005 mostly because we don't have anymore space

and now, even if I have direct access to a plethora of manga in japan, my apartment is so small
so unless I really, really, really love it, I can't buy them physically

Group Leader
haha, so that's what you mean

no worries
I also bought physical manga and novels from time to time

I have dozens in my home country
I have the full volumes of old regular manga like Doraemon, Dragon Ball, Rave, etc.
(or should I say 'I had', because most of them are quite damaged now)
several volumes of shonen titles like Naruto or the never ending Conan and One Piece, obviously
(I don't buy physically any titles that I think I'll need to explain what the story is if my family ever ask about it)
I just went full digital around 2005 mostly because we don't have anymore space

and now, even if I have direct access to a plethora of manga in japan, my apartment is so small
so unless I really, really, really love it, I can't buy them physically
What a nerd dream. Geez, thats quite nice for a hobby tbh. Good to know that you also smell them new books!!

Dex-chan lover
I think

these tiddies aren't for touching, oomfie. only for looking. i keep them inside an airtight glass case, pristine condition. they haven't been washed in years. :boomer:

Users who are viewing this thread