To Be Winner - Ch. 36 - heartbeat

Group Leader
i am absolutely answer choice C right now - momo is my favorite character in the series, and she looks absolutely gorgeous in her introduction! who cares about romance? i only care about feisty redheads!

cheng mo's username is actually something i had a lot of trouble with - it's 朱砂点墨 *zhu sha dian mo*. the last bit is, of course, a pun on her own name - 墨 means ink, but it's also the same *mo* that's in her name.
朱砂 means cinnabar or vermilion; 点墨 is a verb meaning 'to dip into ink,' and it's often used as metonymy for the act of writing or editing. in other words, she's an editor who uses red ink. but quite frankly, that doesn't make a good username - so i decided to defer to rule of cool and translate it more literally as 'cinnabar ink.'

the rest of the YG gang are much more straightforward, lol. ah tai's username is literally just his initials (AT).
yuncheng is a little more complicated - 允诚 *yuncheng* means 'sincere' or 'honest,' but it's also a common actual name. i considered translating it as 'sincere' for a while, but one of the S2 chapters actually confirms it's his legal name.

Kick her ass peach!!!

@astarael the double meaning names are always so cool - it part of what I love about Chinese names. It's a shame they don't translate as well into English

Group Leader
@yannickq i think almost all the names in this series are puns on some level - although sometimes i'm not sure if it's an intended pun or if i'm interpreting too much into them, lol. chinese is just such a fertile ground for wordplay.

take yang yao and xiang nan, for example. yang yao's name is written as 阳曜 - 阳 meaning 'sun' and 曜 meaning 'glorious' or 'sunlight' - a great name for our bundle of sunshine comic relief character, boss yang. c:
meanwhile, xiang nan's name is written 向楠 - 向 meaning 'towards' and 楠 being a particular species of tree, but also a homophone for 'south.' the south-facing side of a house is the one that gets the most sunlight... did i find a cool pun, or was it just coincidence?

Users who are viewing this thread