Today, Again, on This Veranda - Vol. 3 Ch. 31 - Shrine Visit

Dex-chan lover
While this was super sweet and I'm enjoying their interactions, I can't help but dislike the fact that they've left this pending move up in the air. They really are just going to let it happen... or is there more to this? When are they gonna admit they want to stay close, at least to themselves if not each other? It's hard to enjoy the trope-y "new years shrine" chapter knowing she's about to leave.

I'm guessing that one of them is gonna make their feelings known and she doesn't end up going back to her old apartment, but this glacial progress really makes it feel like these are two teenagers and not adults lmao

The veranda rules are kinda dumb too. Just be normal adults and get into a relationship already.

I know I'm complaining a lot but I am really enjoying this, so I'm gonna keep reading but I hope there's tangible progress soon.

Dex-chan lover
Screenshot-20231219-140524.jpg

Come on, don't be another one of those dense MC

Dex-chan lover
Right?!? This dude is acting like they're actual laws and not some stupid shit he made up.
The veranda rules are there so that they can avoid the very real danger of her career coming to an end because of jealous, parasocial fans that are guaranteed to boycott her as an actress and harass her nonstop if it ever came out that she was a normal human being with romantic prospects in her life, thus shattering their precious fantasy of her magically falling in love with them. It's a terrible, suffocating part of the culture of the Japanese entertainment industry that won't end until companies stand with their female employees and law enforcement start taking all forms of harassment seriously, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

He's being extra cautious so she doesn't get hurt, but I feel like the moment she fully accepts her feelings, she'll go for it, "consequences" be damned. I think she's the type to see that she'll be happier being true to her feelings than sacrificing her feelings for a career that suffocates her, or at least I hope she is lol

Fed-Kun's army
The veranda rules are there so that they can avoid the very real danger of her career coming to an end because of jealous, parasocial fans that are guaranteed to boycott her as an actress and harass her nonstop if it ever came out that she was a normal human being with romantic prospects in her life, thus shattering their precious fantasy of her magically falling in love with them. It's a terrible, suffocating part of the culture of the Japanese entertainment industry that won't end until companies stand with their female employees and law enforcement start taking all forms of harassment seriously, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

He's being extra cautious so she doesn't get hurt, but I feel like the moment she fully accepts her feelings, she'll go for it, "consequences" be damned. I think she's the type to see that she'll be happier being true to her feelings than sacrificing her feelings for a career that suffocates her, or at least I hope she is lol
This is applicable for idols, not for actors and actresses.

Actors and actresses are allowed to have relationships. They're still subjected to thr paparazzi over it, but they're allowed to date. I think the idea more or less is that a young rising star dating some commoner would be scandalous instead of her dating some other famous pop star

Dex-chan lover
On the one hand, its easy to dismiss this chapter as filler, buy I find more in it than that. Situations like this demonstrate the "walls" between them that they're steadily wearing down, emotionally, mentally and in this chapter, physically as well, like a few chapters ago. Yes, the move element is still there... But I would say they're not quite uninhibited enough yet for a "don't go away from me" declaration yet, we'll have to settle for "can you still be neighbor-san..." For a while longer.

As ever, thank you for scanlating.

Dex-chan lover
This is applicable for idols, not for actors and actresses.

Actors and actresses are allowed to have relationships. They're still subjected to thr paparazzi over it, but they're allowed to date. I think the idea more or less is that a young rising star dating some commoner would be scandalous instead of her dating some other famous pop star
It's the worst for idols because they're actively marketed as your dream gf, but all publicly active women in entertainment are subjected to it to varying degrees. Iirc there was even a case recently of a newswoman having a scandal for dating someone.

And yeah, it being socially acceptable for an actress to be dating another famous figure is part of maintaining that fantasy because those fantasies are only let go when the girl dates someone so rich and good looking that her fans feel like there's no way in hell they could ever compete. If her fans discover that she's not dating someone rich and ridiculously good looking, then they can't let go of the "why couldn't it have been me!?!" mentality and go full scorched earth.

Dex-chan lover
She is a wonderful actress. Thank you very much for the translation
Screenshot-20231219-140524.jpg

Come on, don't be another one of those dense MC
he's not dense. He is painfully aware that she is aspiring actress and he doesn't want to ruin her career or public image in any way. It's more like he has no confidence to be anything more than a neighbor

Users who are viewing this thread