On the Balcony Again Today - Vol. 3 Ch. 35 - Follow the Veranda Rules!

Dex-chan lover
Imagine how much better this manga would be if they were just already dating by now, and we got fluff along with them navigating how to be close as she does her acting stuff and he freelances, all while figuring out the co habitation thing along the way.
that's reserved for later chapters, we need to get to chapter 200 at least to reach confession :fml::fml:

Dex-chan lover
just let them date man. japan needs to stop blurring the line between actor and idol

Imagine how much better this manga would be if they were just already dating by now, and we got fluff along with them navigating how to be close as she does her acting stuff and he freelances, all while figuring out the co habitation thing along the way.
As someone who is currently up to date with the raws, I'd say that it would be way worse if they were dating by Chapter 35.

The Manga does a great job exploring both characters' feelings and perspective. It benefits from the various slice-of-life stories that we get in this pre-relationship phase which give us actual time to explore how both of them are trying to feel out the situation and how they work to make the best of it within the lines they've drawn for themselves.

The point of this manga isn't just to watch their romantic relationship, it's also to watch their struggles as individuals who have flaws that are holding them back from moving forward. Shun in particular is established early on as someone who is so poor at building relationships that his entire social life atrophied to the point that he never left the house after becoming a freelancer.

Dex-chan lover
As someone who is currently up to date with the raws, I'd say that it would be way worse if they were dating by Chapter 35.

The Manga does a great job exploring both characters' feelings and perspective. It benefits from the various slice-of-life stories that we get in this pre-relationship phase which give us actual time to explore how both of them are trying to feel out the situation and how they work to make the best of it within the lines they've drawn for themselves.

The point of this manga isn't just to watch their romantic relationship, it's also to watch their struggles as individuals who have flaws that are holding them back from moving forward. Shun in particular is established early on as someone who is so poor at building relationships that his entire social life atrophied to the point that he never left the house after becoming a freelancer.
That's a counter factual that you're just emptily asserting.

Sure, the pre-relationship stuff that is still ongoing in the raws can be good. I haven't read them, but I won't dispute that at all. But that doesn't mean it would be bad if they were already dating. It could have been an even better story if they were.

You know what my evidence is? Literally the same evidence you have for saying it would be worse. Absolutely nothing.

Dex-chan lover

None of this refutes that the manga could (and in my opinion, would) be better if they were dating already.

From another perspective, everything you said furthers my original point. They like each other, are adults, and still have things to figure out individually. That doesn't preclude them from being able to be in a romantic relationship with each other and could make for interesting dating dynamics. We could still watch their struggles as individuals while also knowing they have secured a relationship with each other so that we as readers are less anxious about unnecessary drama.

It's evident and obvious that they like each other - the "will they won't they" bait feels like a trope - them not communicating like adults is very strange. He damn near let the woman leave without saying a damn thing. That's just annoying to read more than anything else. And if you're saying "Well that's just how the characters are written" then that's fine, but I still think it'd be better and more enjoyable if they acted a bit more like real adult human beings.

Even the reaction to the manager calling them lovers' thing in this chapter was a reaction you'd expect from two 14-year-olds. I'm pretty tired of Shun acting like a single woman, who lets him into her house, wants to be taken care of by him, wants to spend all this time with him, is willing to sacrifice to be with him, etc. etc. etc... is also not interested in him as anything but friends. It's denseness for denseness' sake.

I know I'm complaining, but I do enjoy the manga. I just feel like there's no relationship progress (for no good reason) and that's kinda frustrating.

I do personally feel that the primary point of this manga is to see their romantic relationship progress. Maybe the fact that I would prefer to see that instead of other things colors my view of the character development and plot, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.

None of this refutes that the manga could (and in my opinion, would) be better if they were dating already.

From another perspective, everything you said furthers my original point. They like each other, are adults, and still have things to figure out individually. That doesn't preclude them from being able to be in a romantic relationship with each other and could make for interesting dating dynamics. We could still watch their struggles as individuals while also knowing they have secured a relationship with each other so that we as readers are less anxious about unnecessary drama.

It's evident and obvious that they like each other - the "will they won't they" bait feels like a trope - them not communicating like adults is very strange. He damn near let the woman leave without saying a damn thing. That's just annoying to read more than anything else. And if you're saying "Well that's just how the characters are written" then that's fine, but I still think it'd be better and more enjoyable if they acted a bit more like real adult human beings.

Even the reaction to the manager calling them lovers' thing in this chapter was a reaction you'd expect from two 14-year-olds. I'm pretty tired of Shun acting like a single woman, who lets him into her house, wants to be taken care of by him, wants to spend all this time with him, is willing to sacrifice to be with him, etc. etc. etc... is also not interested in him as anything but friends. It's denseness for denseness' sake.

I know I'm complaining, but I do enjoy the manga. I just feel like there's no relationship progress (for no good reason) and that's kinda frustrating.

I do personally feel that the primary point of this manga is to see their romantic relationship progress. Maybe the fact that I would prefer to see that instead of other things colors my view of the character development and plot, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.
To be clear, I don't think there's any refuting or proving as far as how much you enjoy it. If you would enjoy the story more if they were already together at this point, that's just as valid as any other view. My apologies if I suggested otherwise. For me, the current status quo at this point in the story is very cozy, but if you get anxious about the dramatic parts then I can see how that wouldn't be the case.

The one thing I will disagree with is the idea that avoiding confronting their feelings means that they're not acting like real adult human beings. That sort of repressed and self-doubting/self-deceiving behaviour is 100% something that a lot of adults in the real world end up doing.

That's why I think that details like "Shun barely left his house and basically didn't socialize for like five years" are important for understanding his character. He let his social awareness and initiative completely atrophy, if he ever even developed it properly. He can't get into a relationship with Yuu and then work on his issues because those issues are what's holding him back.

Dex-chan lover
My apologies if I suggested otherwise.
I'm fine with all the rest of your post except this part. This sounds like such massive back-pedaling in an effort to minimize what you did and to deny what you yourself said.

Your own explicit words were not a "suggestion". You directly said "it would be way worse if they were dating by Chapter 35". That's not a suggestion at all, and your comment here is an attempt to avoid responsibility for that.

Let me be clear that I'm being overly critical of you. I fully admit that. Your other points are mostly reasonable even if I disagree with some. But this is just a personal pet peeve of mine, when people backpedal and don't own up to what they said.

can anyone tell me what the, "one last thing" is? and hat is the fmc referring to close to end of the chapter? Maybe I've forgotten but i looked tice and I couldn't find it

Dex-chan lover
I have the exact same issue, and I can put it to precise words.

It looked like the "one last thing" was going to be a confession of love. A change in their dynamic. Some kind of moving forward, regardless of if it were accepted or rejected.

Now, instead of moving out, she's staying, and we get the status quo. The author gets to spin her wheels on this story and just keep it in a state of nothing happening for however long she wants.

As you said, it makes the issue seem meaningless. Hopefully the author doesn't drag this out, but we'll see.
The actress always meant to move out, so in my view, that was the status quo. Her staying breaks that.

But I do see what you mean. Author can just suspend progress indefinitely, but based on the story so far, I don't think it's her style. Author-san has been inserting micro steps of progress here and there, but I am honestly just not into the plant education part. That's why I think pacing is still acceptable, because I haven't started complaining yet unlike Dress Up Darling. (But hey, that last chapter, boat got shaken a bit).

Dex-chan lover
The manager already approves them as lovers, so there's no more obstruction from her at least lol

They can slowly find their love now :p

I'm fine with all the rest of your post except this part. This sounds like such massive back-pedaling in an effort to minimize what you did and to deny what you yourself said.

Your own explicit words were not a "suggestion". You directly said "it would be way worse if they were dating by Chapter 35". That's not a suggestion at all, and your comment here is an attempt to avoid responsibility for that.

Let me be clear that I'm being overly critical of you. I fully admit that. Your other points are mostly reasonable even if I disagree with some. But this is just a personal pet peeve of mine, when people backpedal and don't own up to what they said.

This is a mischaracterization of my post, and it's rude to boot.

I'm going to go back to having fun talking about a romcom I enjoy now.

Dex-chan lover
The author created the perfect opportunity for their relationship to progress but then just walked back on it to resume the status quo :/

Dex-chan lover
This is a mischaracterization of my post, and it's rude to boot.

I'm going to go back to having fun talking about a romcom I enjoy now.
And again, you're back pedaling. It's even more rude for you to deny your own words.

I quoted you and pointed out your exact words. Then you come in and say no and give zero explanation for your own words.

Youre doing it again. You're covering up your own words that you wrote right there.

Dex-chan lover
Nice to see the mum giving her blessing, now they can quietly start dating :')
Also Yuu has got a surprisingly large butt on the last page.
Thanks for the chapter!

Aggregator gang
ok nice calm romance story mixed veranda gardening hobby too : D
it would be more good story again if there is extra maybe they're finally become couple ><

Dex-chan lover
Are they in love already though? I'm not so sure they're there yet. I think what neighbor-san was supposed to say there was that he will miss her, and maybe attempt to establish some form of contact after she moves away.

Of course, there's no way confirm it unless one of them actually says it out loud or even monologues it. My personal interpretation is that they currently just make each other feel better, which can still be construed as companionship. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the story just works better for me if they have to go through some more experiences together before they actually start having undeniable romantic feelings for each other.
Ironically, Sakurai Norio of BokuYaba fame talked about this... There's a time between developing feelings for someone, and fully understanding those feelings. Leaving aside even any hang ups and preconceptions, I'd say that's where these two are at. They're obviously very fond of each other, and have had romantic thoughts, but that's not necessarily the same as "deciding" that you love or are in love with someone. Yuri is written as more experienced and emotionally mature (overall) than our delightful pair of knuckleheads; apart from her overt assumption, her pained expressions and irritation is likely due to being able to see (at least in potential) what they cannot, or will not, allow themselves to see. Part of what I find wonderful about this series, apart from feeling genuine, is that it does a fairly good job of not glossing over the "little steps"; it deftly avoided "love at first sight" and used it's unique element to great effect to draw them closer.

Users who are viewing this thread