Togabito no Kokuin - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Jack the Ripper and Cain Encounter 1

Dex-chan lover
Are we sure this shouldn't have a bl tag?

cuz that's some insane levels of queerbaiting to pass off as straight dudes just being straight

Are we sure this shouldn't have a bl tag?

cuz that's some insane levels of queerbaiting to pass off as straight dudes just being straight
It probably should be tagged bl... I've sent in a report. :)
It was actually published in a Shonen magazine so that might be why the tags got missed. I also don't think it was ever sold/advertised as a 'bl'. But it does explicitly contain that element/storyline.
Hope that helps!

Dex-chan lover
It probably should be tagged bl... I've sent in a report. :)
It was actually published in a Shonen magazine so that might be why the tags got missed. I also don't think it was ever sold/advertised as a 'bl'. But it does explicitly contain that element/storyline.
Hope that helps!
Yeah that makes a lot of sense

Cuz i've seen a lot of queerbait in my life, and this felt way to open to be "bait"

Contributor
Sorry to say, but this isn't BL. Just BL bait. The bait doesn't make it BL.
If it is then a lot of Shounen, Seinen, Josei (male centric) series will be considered as BL.
I have not seen a Japanese store front have it labeled as BL and not even chil-chil lists it as such even though it's already a completed series. So, it's safe to say that this is, officially, a non-BL series.

Sorry to say, but this isn't BL. Just BL bait. The bait doesn't make it BL.
If it is then a lot of Shounen, Seinen, Josei (male centric) series will be considered as BL.
I have not seen a Japanese store front have it labeled as BL and not even chil-chil lists it as such even though it's already a completed series. So, it's safe to say that this is, officially, a non-BL series.
Hi, thanks for the comment, I'm one of the scanlators currently working on this project. :) Sorry I was trying to figure out the best way to respond. Genre is so unreasonably complicated sometimes.
I understand that a series probably should be tagged how it is sold. So thanks for changing the tags. However, I take issue with your description of it as 'bait'. As you pointed out, many different kinds of manga do use elements from the boys love genre as bait. That isn't exactly what's happening here.
Yes, it's an action fantasy shonen that's fanservice heavy and uses that fanservice to draw in it's audience. But, well... (Apologies for spoilers).
There are explicitly romantic feelings here. The two main characters kiss. There is a big double page spread of them making out in the third volume. You don't get much gayer than that. The vampirism is a clear metaphor for 'certain things'. (Okay, granted, that bit is metaphorical but it is undeniable). They struggle with figuring out the exact nature of their feelings but those feelings are queer, explored and a big part of the series. Mikage literally tells Kanna he loves him in this chapter! They move in together and promise to live their life together. Dates, sharing a bed, talking about being in love ect I could go on... I have seen 'boys love' manga that is less explicitly gay than this.
I think it's self evident.
These elements are not the entire (or even main) part of the narrative. A gay subplot doesn't make something 'boys love' inherently when the focus is elsewhere, I guess.
Kanna and Mikage also aren't the only LGBT+ characters in the series. There is a bisexual side character who is introduced later. Say what you will about how all of this is handled (I have my own issues with some aspects).
But, personally, I don't feel it meets the definition of 'bait'.
If you decide to read the manga in the original jp and still feel it does, that's okay. :) (But I would be surprised.)
Anyway, I hope it's officially translated some day. It's rare to find a series like this that has this kind of a storyline and representation in it. You're not the first to be confused. (Nor will you be the last haha).

TLDR it's gay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread