Tokimori-san ga Muboubi desu!! - Ch. 34 - Tokimori-san and new ally

Dex-chan lover
It always amazes me how rom-com stories are so hung up on "the chase" that they feel like the act of someone confessing is the conclusion rather than just another waypoint in the story. To the extent that stories like the above (and I love both of them) are by far the exception rather than the rule. Another series that runs mostly on the leads being in a relationship rather than just building up to one is Ase To Sekken. They're basically a couple by the end of chapter 2 and the whole rest of the series is about them navigating how to be in a relationship while dealing with stuff like insecurities, jealousy, communication, and so forth (but it's a comedy so for as heavy as it gets it's not 100% oppressive drama. It's really sweet and at times really funny and I love it. It's one of the few series that I own the complete official English run of.)

I know this whole idea of "the characters being in a relationship ruins the tension of the will-they-won't-they buildup" has been a trope forever and not even just in Japan (in the west it's sometimes called "Moonlighting Syndrome" after the 1980s dramedy series with Bruce Willis where people tend to remember the show getting cancelled right after the two leads were put together after seasons of sexual tension) but it's just so dumb. Enjoyable characters can still be enjoyable in a relationship. If you play your cards right the relationship actually opens up a whole bunch of new plots to explore that weren't there before. The only reason things fall apart is because unimaginative writers romanticize the chase and the confession so much that they just can't be bothered to think about how to work past that.

A short manga that follows this line of thought is Telework Yotabanashi. I just don't consider it the best adult romance because it's short.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaduufrrj (I can't quote your post directly because of how my quote tags from what you quoted seem like they've screwed it up)
A short manga that follows this line of thought is Telework Yotabanashi. I just don't consider it the best adult romance because it's short.

That's by the same author/artist as Ase to Sekken (there's even a tiny reference gag as the manga the MC reads at one point is one of the early chapters of Ase to Sekken). I haven't read all of her other works but she generally does really enjoyable stuff that is written in a fairly mature way where the drama is about sensible relationship and personal issues and not about insecure protagonists with the emotional maturity of stunted high-schoolers fretting about whether someone saying "I like you" actually means they like the other person or not.

Dex-chan lover
RrXSHaC.png

she's so precious

Group Leader
As usual a big nothing heh and next chapter will also be a big nothing heh and the next... heh

Dex-chan lover
Probably one of the best romance manga I've ever read started with the confession and the rest of it was then trying to navigate through their relationship while keeping it secret
Which one was that?

Dex-chan lover
One year... :glee:
The time just pass when you have fun :smug:
Anyway, ...
Thanks for the realease

Dex-chan lover
SHE'S DOING IT ON PURPOSE I SWEAR! DROWSY ONE MOMENT AND AWAKE THE NEXT? HUH?!

Dex-chan lover
Poor guy. She is already experienced enough so she doesn't see him as a man. He should have self respect and quit at this point

Users who are viewing this thread