Tonikaku Kawaii - Vol. 10 Ch. 97 - Recommendation of mountains

Dex-chan lover
@bejad007
Which humans didn't walk a lot before cars? Sure there were horses and some had carriages, but most people walked or rode a bike at best.

@Bengon @NezzKind

Right, the ancient bullshit way to walk is totally the right way to go about things. I was not aware of the Nanba walk, and the inclusion of this makes sense now for the sake of plot: the girl is supposed to be some kind of historical figure, so she knows how people walked in the olden days.

However, that is not to say that it is the correct, or even a remotely efficient way to walk. Not only do you need to consider the fact that walking in this "Nanba" style simply does not work (with a 26% increase in effort: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/shc17/Arm_Swinging/ArmSwinging_experiment_videos.html), you also need to consider the learning curve. Telling someone to walk in a completely different manner right off the bat is not going to make them more efficient in the short term, that kind of walking style would need to be developed over time. And I emphasize developed over time, because literally no land animal has ever naturally walked like that ever, including humans. Not only is Nanba walking slower, it is less efficient. There is a reason why it has never even been considered a viable gait in race-walking, an Olympic sport.

Fed-Kun's army
while i am still loving this story, i wish the author would actually go into tsukasas backstory a bit, its pretty obvious at this point that shes an alien or something.

Dex-chan lover
@hahaxd
Aw, kiddo. You don’t need to try so hard to make yourself sound in the right. You didn’t know Nanba was a thing, that the mangaka actually knew what they were talking about, or that the chapter’s pretense had actual roots, tied to what people factually did in the past.

Acknowledge you made an ignorant mistake. Move on with less passive aggressive undertones. Easier that way. Trying to salvage your point after that fact is kinda sad. You didn’t know what you didn’t know. You can only learn what you don’t know. Easy does it.

@hahaxd
You went from "it's simply not even possible to do" to "it's possible but it's bullshit", lol.

To add on the topic:
"Nanba-aruki" comes up regularly in martial arts, where it makes sense to have the hand in front be on the same side as the foot in front. Recently, a Koryū (traditional style) researcher named Yoshinori Kono has been talking about it. According to him, messengers from the ancient days would walk very long distances, sometimes several days in a row, using this walking form. The clothes in that era might have played a role too - women in kimono supposedly walked naturally like this.
Note that IIRC, he says that you're actually not supposed to swing your arms.

Personal experience: I got used to walking like this. It's weird at first, but nothing dramatic. I think if you really want to compare energy efficiency, you should experiment on someone being used to doing it, otherwise the comparison is flawed.

@NezzKind
Aww kiddo. You knew an obscure fact about Japanese walking that I didn't know. You do realize your reply here is the most passive aggressive thing I've ever read? Why tell me to not be passive aggressive when you yourself are equally if not more passively aggressive?

You know what you didn't know? You didn't know that Nanba walking has no scientific basis. You didn't know that the author is historically correct, and factually incorrect. Know the distinction between these two things. I acknowledged that it made sense for the plot, but it also does not make sense anatomically. Not everything is black and white, and that is something you will have to learn as you continue growing. Kiddo

@Faeldrin

"It's simply not possible to do" reflects the fact I, and most people, are going to be untrained in walking like that, and are therefore going to have a terrible experience walking like that. History is history. It does not matter to me. Is historical basis more important than scientific basis? That is up to the author, or the interpreter to think for themselves.

Double-page supporter
@ monka188 Thanks for the chapter!

p. 12: The mushroom name in panel 2 should be "matsutake": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsutake
Or does the character mispronounce it in the original? She is a ditz.

Dex-chan lover
@hahaxd
Lol. What was passive aggressive about what I said? I just called you out on your crap in a very straightforward manner. Nothing passive about that. Oh, well. If you want to keep being crazy defensive, you can do it on you’re own. I see your inferiority complex is lashing out on this whole comment section already. Have fun, if this is what you like. I have left the comment section. You win.

Dex-chan lover
@NezzKind How about nanpa walking? Apparently the efficiency is not that high if you look at the number of successes per attempts, but if you only look at the number of successes and compare to those who don't practice it, it can actually make a big difference.

Just noticed that the chapter name is literally just a title drop of Yama no Susume! Nice.

kek they're using saronpasu which is sounds familiar for me, and when i check on google it's actually the legendary Salonpas

Double-page supporter
Nanba walking from my experience is not that much more ''efficient'' long term cause what you are actually doing is using the shifts in your centre of gravity and arm swings to lightly propel you forward. you are essentially slightly running in that posture which isnt that energy saving compared to just walking normally at a consistent pace. The worse mistake people make when walking is to have inconsistent pacing which tires people much more.

SBP

Saronpasu is most likely Salonpas. In INA here that's its name. Japanese had restriction on their brand naming by their language after all.

Double-page supporter
@CKT0304 > To be honest, Tsukasa just said idiot or baka in original japanese raw.

Yeah, this is a case of translator/adapter being too clever by half. But I guess "Idiot" or even "Moron" was too simplistic...or offensive...or something. 😅

@rebel16 > p. 12: The mushroom name in panel 2 should be "matsutake": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsutake
> Or does the character mispronounce it in the original? She is a ditz.

Mataka is what Kyuuma called the mushroom.

@MesaOracle > Tsundere ninja time traveling alien. It all makes sense now.

Hahaha! Indeed! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread