Tougen Anki - Vol. 5 Ch. 34 - I Hated Him

I am pretty glad that the author isnt really good at creating characters. Thanks to that, the villain didnt even get a chance at sympathy or redemption in his last moments. Thank you author-sensei.

Dex-chan lover
@Kolderen really, when I read the raw for a moment I thought the guy got killed while being kiiiinda innocent... but nope, they raided an Oni house, just like the family of Mei, did they do anything to deserve getting killed??

the guy doubted the kid that looked like the daughter, but how about the parents?? did he went on a rampage outta nowhere?... just the thing, the asshole doesn't look death, I was hoping for him to get burned too.

Dex-chan lover
Aaaw, the poor widdle child-murdering asshole is having a sad, how terrible!

Dex-chan lover
If author really wants us to feel somewhat sympathetic for the vaillains he should just go with them being taught from childhood that oni aren't humans and being ordered to kill them gave them a false sense of getting washed off the guilt, because they were only following orders, pretty much just use the excuse the nazis were using

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes. The classic "someone biologically similar to you did something bad" justification behind cold-blooded murder and torture

Trying to make the villain sympathetic by making them a racist is pretty whack

Dex-chan lover
"I'm a genocidal maniac, but you should feel bad for me." lmao, I hope the author doesn't intend for this to be sympathetic. Kinda hard to feel bad for literal child murderers.

Waste of a chapter. I like the lore behind why he's using a momotaro as a corpse but its also just racism as a defense for why he does things. Now i'm curious what inspired author to create this story

Dex-chan lover
I don’t like this typical use of hatred as an excuse for the racism either, but some comments seem to be missing the point where at this point it’s blind hatred being churned in a vicious cycle. Both sides have immense loss which fuel their hatred.

Sure, it’s the oni that are being primarily persecuted and killed despite their innocence, but it’s also a fact that their presence and berserk nature is a threat to the majority. The situation could definitely be handled better from an organizational perspective, but this is such a long running feud there is little chance for easy change at this point. Even the MC, an oni raised by a mamtaro, doesn’t seek to reach peace but rather pursues revenge against a mamtaro. I’m not saying he isn’t justified to seek revenge, but rather it’s not easy to toss aside those feelings of revenge for a more peaceful approach.

Now to get back to this particular chapter: this villain is a piece of shit through and through, so much so that it disgusts even the other mamtaro involved, and the author didn’t make his backstory appealing at all. I dislike the disconnect in personality that was shown in the backstory, because previously he seemed very half-hearted before joining the team but now he’s full on psychotic and sadistic. There’s no real explanation given for why that is, even with the trauma of losing his friend and the family he became close with. The only major explanation would be that he’s always been like that, and his friend’s dying words became a trigger for a dangerous and disgusting obsession. Or perhaps it’s his own power of pseudo-necromancy that corrupts him. But again, there’s no tangible given explanation so it’s just lame.

The flashback was pretty unoriginal. And incredibly predictable.
Not that it's a bad manga, I'm having fun reading it. But it's a very "follow this basic plot structure here" storyline that doesn't invoke any feelings of sympathy or attachment. Not only to this enemy in particular, but to any of the characters in the series so far.
The only ones so that have made a slight impact on me have been pushy girl and scaredy cat boy.

Dex-chan lover
@Koyomiya
There's also the fact that Oni are routinely hunted down. Only the most powerful and viscious survive, leading to those traits being passed on. Either through genetics or nurture. So in a way, Momotarou actually amplify the berserk nature of Oni.

If the Oni were left well alone, who's to say they couldn't find a peaceful way to coexist? A way to curb the blood. Instead they have no choice but to give in to their darker nature.

Okay everybody I want to ask something. We're all saying how cliche this story is but I can't see this kind of sceptical comments under a Korean webtoon comment section. We all know that they are worse than this manga. Same isekai fantasy stories. But everybody loves it.
I'm looking forward for your answers

There’s a odd catharsis in watching that piece of shit’s flashback and seeing the foundation of his dreams and ideals fucking burning to ashes in front of him. Fuck that guy, fuck his friend, and fuck that family. Oni for life.

Also really like the art of this manga, makes me almost forget about the chickens. Almost.

@Katsuramuki
i like this manga but lemme try to explain others
when reading this your expecting a high dining experience and you get nitpicky with the details
when ur reading korean isekai ur expecting mcdonalds and ur fine with imperfections

Users who are viewing this thread