Touhou Chireikiden - Hansoku Tantei Satori - Ch. 31 - Subterranean Animosity (Pt. I)

Dex-chan lover
So is this gonna be the final arc? It kinda feels like it, and it would make sense given that Satori is a Subterranean Animism character, after all.

Personally I'd have liked to see them at least go up to Ten Desires before circling back to SA, though tbf I'm not sure how the spirit would even get to Miko and her harem friends.

Dex-chan lover
I know that the Touhou community usually exaggerates just how crazy Flandre is, but this manga honestly makes me think that maybe she really IS crazy, yet also knows when and how to restrain herself. That or she's just really, really bored.

Fed-Kun's army
Something I noticed is that Mizuchi has similar hair ties like Reimu does. And when she's possessing Mokou she says that "humans must've lost" for Yokai to be in the village so easily. Maybe she's an old Hakurei shrine maiden with a grudge against the current for "failing." That's my 5-second theory.

Fed-Kun's army
I know that the Touhou community usually exaggerates just how crazy Flandre is, but this manga honestly makes me think that maybe she really IS crazy, yet also knows when and how to restrain herself. That or she's just really, really bored.
I've always figured it's likely a combo of bordom and being a little unhinged alongside immence power, rather than a frothing berzerker as the fandom likes to think.

Dex-chan lover
Like with everything it depends on the writer
Depending on the manga Reimu's either ruthless in FS, uncharacteristically nice in the fairies manga, a brainless lazy drunkard in Kasen's manga, or THE CRIMSON SLASHER if you go by the games

Now, we have canonical proof that youkai won't die by being stabbed in the "heart" by a sword. We knew that "youkai aren't easily harmed" but we never had an occurance with graphic depiction of this. It's too bad that Satori had to be the one to be on the receiving end, tbh. Some other would greatly deserve it for their holier than thou attitude. looks at Aya

Re: Flandre. I agree with Valahuir. Centuries of isolation did a number on her mental health and, on top of that, she's a vampire. She's a demon. She is supposed to be evil and love violence and death. And she possess extreme power to boot. You're glad she's on your side. (Yes, I know, there's some headcannon - and it always as been my interpretation of her). Except that, she locks herself up in the basement of the SDM on her free will and does not search confrontations but will take any opportunity to beat up / kill somebody if offered to.

Can I have a word about Yukari as well? We know she can warp to the moon with the help of its reflection and she's the co-creator of Gensokyo and all but... can we talk on how seamless the transfer of the Myouren temple to the Old Hell as been? It's just another reminder how absolutely insanely OP the power over boundaries is. The fog helped maintaining the illusion so perfectly.
Like with everything it depends on the writer
Depending on the manga Reimu's either ruthless in FS, uncharacteristically nice in the fairies manga, a brainless lazy drunkard in Kasen's manga, or THE CRIMSON SLASHER if you go by the games
Each and everyone of those are a facet of her personality.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Don't see why she's so worried about Byakuren and not Flandre in terms of her odds. How powerful is she that somehow a big fight where she's against Reimu, Byakuren, Aya, and Flandre will somehow end with Reimu dead?

Dex-chan lover
If the root of Mizuchi's grudge is that Reimu, or the Hakurei shrine maidens, are cooperating with youkai to suppress humans, then there's no question that if she was around when Byakuren was getting infamous for trying to foster human-youkai coexistence she would have been firmly on the side of hunting her down. Maybe it took her until now to make the connection that the youkai Buddhist monk in front of her could be the (still very recently) unsealed Byakuren, and that's the significance of that one-off panel.

Or it's Byakuren's aura screaming out "I'm a pacifist who is really, really good at fighting and never gets to do any. Go on, start something. Make my day, punk" that Mizuchi is sensing.

Group Leader
3 things to say about the chapter:

1. Damn it, i forgot Yukari was involved in this. With her OP ability available it's easy for Satori to elaborate a master plan.
2. When she's not destroying things, Flan is extremely cute. I want to spend 20 minutes hugging her and patting her head.
3. You guys forgot about Marisa. What the hell happened to her?

Also, I was really hoping to see Miko, Futo and Tojiko, but considering they live in Senkai, it's really complicated. This SA arc is probably gonna be the last one.

3. You guys forgot about Marisa. What the hell happened to her?
That's a good point. However, nobody's possessed at the end of this chapter so, we can only assume she's okay. Well, she has to be because Zun and his status-quo mentality; nothing bad really happens to anybody and everybody becomes friend with everybody.

Now, we have canonical proof that youkai won't die by being stabbed in the "heart" by a sword. We knew that "youkai aren't easily harmed" but we never had an occurance with graphic depiction of this. It's too bad that Satori had to be the one to be on the receiving end, tbh. Some other would greatly deserve it for their holier than thou attitude. looks at Aya
Not sure how you arrived to that conclusion with Aya, but Yukari is right there if you want someone to be angry at.

Last edited:
I've always figured it's likely a combo of bordom and being a little unhinged alongside immence power, rather than a frothing berzerker as the fandom likes to think.
I think one of the Aya articles had Remilia imply that Flandre is a chuuni. She is a shut in with the power to destroy most anything in a very weird way (squeezing something with her right hand), and her theme title is a book reference. Specifically a title that makes her out to be edgy. She is everything that a chuuni wants to be, with a rather cutesy outfit.

As for Byakuren being a threat, she is a monk. A demonic monk, but a monk still. She can purify spirits to force them on their way. I think it is mentioned in FS that Reimu also has a bit of skill in that area, but either Zun forgot, I am misremembering, or the difference in skills in that area is quite profound.

Not sure how you arrived to that conclusion with Aya, but Yukari is right there if you want someone to be angry at.
General behavior - which is mostly selfish and self-centered.

Yukari, on the other hand, her actions are mostly (because there are exceptions) related to Gensokyo's wellbeing. So, why would I be angry at her?

Don't see why she's so worried about Byakuren and not Flandre in terms of her odds. How powerful is she that somehow a big fight where she's against Reimu, Byakuren, Aya, and Flandre will somehow end with Reimu dead?
Because at the core. Flandre is a true pacifist, not a real threat.

General behavior - which is mostly selfish and self-centered.

Yukari, on the other hand, her actions are mostly (because there are exceptions) related to Gensokyo's wellbeing. So, why would I be angry at her?
Yukari has a recorded history of abusing Ran, and very few were made aware of this plan that had them be trapped inside this limited area with an escaped convict capable of putting them in a coma for days on end.

In Forbidden Scrollery and Lotus Eaters, Aya, alongside Mamizou are responsible for resolving various incidents, as recently as Aya covering for Orin so she wouldn't be blamed for the various smoke sightings around the village. Please don't spew baseless hatred towards characters you know nothing about.

Users who are viewing this thread