Dex-chan lover
- Joined
- Aug 9, 2018
- Messages
- 463
Wikis are made by people you know? If nobody wants to share, you get no wikiBuddy never learnt about wikis.
Wikis are made by people you know? If nobody wants to share, you get no wikiBuddy never learnt about wikis.
There's wikis for games with 10 players total, you will never convince me a game called "masterpiece" has none, not even if you give the yakuza my home address and the prime minister of Japan publically bows down asking me to suspend my disbelief.Wikis are made by people you know? If nobody wants to share, you get no wiki![]()
And there are also games with thousands of players but still lack a wiki, it really depends on the game. Even if there might be one, in a competitive game, a hidden mechanic that's not listed in the game skill descriptions might be secretly monopolized by people in the know. Just sayinThere's wikis for games with 10 players total, you will never convince me a game called "masterpiece" has none, not even if you give the yakuza my home address and the prime minister of Japan publically bows down asking me to suspend my disbelief.
(Also I was just being sarcastic.)
Can you think of a single example of a game where such "monopolizing" was present for any reasonable amount of time (i.e. more than a few days)?And there are also games with thousands of players but still lack a wiki, it really depends on the game. Even if there might be one, in a competitive game, a hidden mechanic that's not listed in the game skill descriptions might be secretly monopolized by people in the know. Just sayin
I'm not a runescape player but google research showed that there was a mechanic where being skulled increase drop rates of rare loot from revenants and it was kept hidden from patch notes until 8 months later where a mod finally revealed the secret in a tweet after someone complained to that same mod about the drop rates. Going by reddit comments on all the threads on this topic, very few people knew about this secret. I'm sure there are other examples if you are willing to search for it.Can you think of a single example of a game where such "monopolizing" was present for any reasonable amount of time (i.e. more than a few days)?
My bad for not mentioning it, but single player games especially where speedruns are concerned really shouldn't count - it's hard to talk about monopolizing when there's no interaction between people, save on message boards. Most speedruns in particular are all about finding and reliably replicating obscure bugs in the game, so there's little chance something would be known unless someone decides to explicitly share it.I'm not a runescape player but google research showed that there was a mechanic where being skulled increase drop rates of rare loot from revenants and it was kept hidden from patch notes until 8 months later where a mod finally revealed the secret in a tweet after someone complained to that same mod about the drop rates. Going by reddit comments on all the threads on this topic, very few people knew about this secret. I'm sure there are other examples if you are willing to search for it.
Edit: Another example -> https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20220114-8505/
What about this one then? https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/lfg-addon-free-epics-timers/281941/2My bad for not mentioning it, but single player games especially where speedruns are concerned really shouldn't count - it's hard to talk about monopolizing when there's no interaction between people, save on message boards. Most speedruns in particular are all about finding and reliably replicating obscure bugs in the game, so there's little chance something would be known unless someone decides to explicitly share it.
The Runescape one is interesting. I suppose drop mechanics are opaque enough that it could be the case here. I was imagining something that is a visible advantage to others, like the ability to do more damage for an unknown reason etc. - hard to imagine that kind of thing would stay hidden for long.
Nice find, but they seem to be complaining that it trivializes the raids, not that it was kept secret. The argument is that one side wants it gone and the other doesn't, citing that it has been there for a long time, just not widely known.What about this one then? https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/lfg-addon-free-epics-timers/281941/2
War of Warcraft strategy where you mind control mobs to use their buffs on you that directly counters the raid difficulty feature making it for an extremely easy run. I think it fits very well in this case since it's a game mechanic thats gatekept by veteran guilds. It was hidden enough that people are complaining about it in that thread.
Isn't not 'widely known' equivalent to keeping things secret/hidden? I don't understand your criteria? Anyway, what's the point you are trying to make though? I believe I have found enough examples proving that people do gatekeep beneficial game mechanics and it's simply idealistic to believe that people won't be tempted to do so. It's just human nature especially if there is any form of competitiveness in the game. It's really not that hard to search for other examples yourself.Nice find, but they seem to be complaining that it trivializes the raids, not that it was kept secret. The argument is that one side wants it gone and the other doesn't, citing that it has been there for a long time, just not widely known.
Relax, I'm not trying to move the goalposts. Just commenting on it. You already found more than I expected.Isn't not 'widely known' equivalent to keeping things secret/hidden? I don't understand your criteria? Anyway, what's the point you are trying to make though? I believe I have found enough examples proving that people do gatekeep beneficial game mechanics and it's simply idealistic to believe that people won't be tempted to do so. It's just human nature especially if there is any form of competitiveness in the game. It's really not that hard to search for other examples yourself.