Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru. - Vol. 10 Ch. 78

Dex-chan lover
Mr. Monk is surprisingly savvy on the occult. I thought he was just going to give some shallow aphorism. Is he going to save the day with a proton pack?

Contributor
Calling Isekai colonialism when the vast majority of it is a simple power fantasy in a JRPG-esque world is an overanalysis that you could really only create by viewing the Japanese-born genre through a western lens.
No piece of literature lives in a vacuum. Even if you don’t intend it, the circumstances of your life and your unconscious biases influence what you write and what you enjoy watching. Of course everybody’s story is different, but you can definitely analyze trends - even the schlockiest of power fantasies. After all, the authors are writing about what they - and their audience - most desire in life.

"Native person"? I would never use the word "native" to describe people in an isekai They are almost always more akin to medieval Europe in terms of technological advancement.
See, this is a perfect example of one of those biases. The dictionary term for “native” refers to people who were born there - it’s based on the Latin word natus. But we hear so much about Native Americans or indigenous people that our vision of “native” gets warped into civilizations that don’t have indoor plumbing and would have a heart attack if you showed them Skibidi Toilet.

If aliens came and visited our earth, no matter how technologically advanced they were to us or us to them, we would be considered natives of Earth.
You didn't even touch Ascendence of a Bookworm, which actually acknowledges the death of the person who the protagonist replaces in a very emotional scene. Hell, the protagonist is physically frail and unable to exert herself to much without get dangerously ill, which is very atypical of the genre.
You’re right, I didn’t. There are plenty of exceptions to this rule. But I was responding to the original post of “All those protagonists are killing someone else to live their superpowered wishful-thinking lives,” and for that particular situation you’d be hard-pressed to consider Myne’s story a superpowered wish fulfillment tale.

Dex-chan lover
Hey! Another great day for a new chapter! I hope you liked it (or could read it since, well, my english is not as good as you might have noticed). If there are some TL mistakes I made, please make me know about them so I can make the proper correction right away. Thanks as always and see you later! :thumbsup:
I think it's fine but you could always have someone else proofread if you're still unsure

Dex-chan lover
EDIT: never mind, I'm not sure I wanted to bother going there.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Woah what the actual fuck is that first line about. Why are you going on and on about isekai now? Calling Isekai colonialism when the vast majority of it is a simple power fantasy in a JRPG-esque world is an overanalysis that you could really only create by viewing the Japanese-born genre through a western lense. "Native person"? I would never use the word "native" to decribe people in an isekai They are almost always more akin to medieval Europe in terms of technological advancement.

You didn't even touch Ascendence of a Bookworm, which actually acknowledges the death of the person who the protagonist replaces in a very emotional scene. Hell, the protagonist is physically frail and unable to exert herself to much without get dangerously ill, which is very atypical of the genre.
Some people can't tell the difference between fantasy and real life. Some people still thinks playing video games makes you a serial killer or killing animals in video games glorifies animal cruelty. People who equate Isekai with colonialism are pretty much the same.

Dex-chan lover
Monk:"you wife is a ghost, the only solution is make her reincarnate in your daughter daughter"
Dad:"What?!"
Monk:"What?!"

Dex-chan lover
This story puts most isekai in a weird conundrum. All those protagonists are killing someone else to live their superpowered wishful-thinking lives.
Most isekai are reincarnation where memories of past life resurface, or literally being transported/rebuilt by a god, etc.

Not normally a sort of possession.

The exception to this typically comes from the story isekai(reincarnated into a book/series/game. Which most never really address how the game is actually related to their new world, or how they got there(which depending on the answer could solve potential connundrums)

Users who are viewing this thread