Tsuru Tsuru to Zara Zara no Aida - Vol. 2 Ch. 26 - Satellite

Dex-chan lover
sign why the fuck do authors do this every fucking time? STICK TO THE MAIN FUCKING CHARACTERS NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR FUCKING SIDE CHARACTERS

Wow ... reading the comment about the satellite frog at the end of the chapter ... what the older sister said was actually pretty ... nasty. -_-

Group Leader
@Nozomi - Yes. When GreenMoriyama summarized the blog post to me (before I translated it for myself), my reaction was "that's harsh..." But that sister definitely has a nasty, self-centered streak.

Dex-chan lover
So "satellite mate" is pretty much the same concept as "beta orbiter"?

What's up with astrology and loser metaphors?

I mean I majored in biology and took a class on animal behavior and "satellite males" are common enough among reptile, insect, and bird species.
Commonly they are named "satellite males" because they will skirt and orbit like a satellite around another male's territory and attempt to mate with any females coming in. Others will try to jump in and mate with a female while the main territorial male is distracted or in the middle of copulation. There is also a subset of satellite males that will mimic females (aka look morphologically female) to gain the protection of the territorial male and mate with his harem when he isn't looking.

Basically it is a very passive method of breeding, as these males mate opportunistically and don't work on gaining territory and resources to court a female. The reason satellite males exist is because it is a relatively effective method of passing on your genes.

Basically she's saying he's passive, and gains female attention by being around his more popular brother. Rather than calling him pathetic, I think she's just pointing out that he has benefitted from his brother's resources and isn't working towards being likeable.
That's my biologist's 2 cents though.

Well but with how it was put it's like "you're an unlikeable loser because you have a complex about your brother". It doesn't make much sense why she said that. He isn't one that is opportunist or relies on his brother for girls' attention.

Double-page supporter
It reminded me of this

the-ruff-bird.png

@dexhaunter

The thing about satellite males is they occupy that niche due to knowing they can't compete. I should've probably mentioned that before, but that's probably what she was referencing specifically.

Given the context, I simply can't see how her comment could possibly be taken as anything other than a direct insult.

Dex-chan lover
@kronix
Not sure I understand. If you don't care about the side characters, why do you care about the main ones?
It's not like the two are fundamentally different, except that one was introduced earlier and has more screen time than the other.

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar: Well, first, some people just like a simpler narrative. The point isn't so much which characters, it's just keeping to a set of characters rather than interrupting their development/plotline. Paying significant attention to secondary characters is seen as basically filler.
Second, actually these primary characters do have very different personalities from the secondary ones, so it would be pretty easy to like one pair and dislike the other.

Users who are viewing this thread