Uchi no Musuko wa Tabun Gay - Vol. 1 Ch. 17 - Glasses

Dex-chan lover
Daigo and him should just fuck already.

Honestly, I want a few chapters focusing on his brother. That would be interesting.

Dex-chan lover
Speaking of character focus, let’s talk about the way the only female character is written. It’s like she does not have a life outside of her son and being a housewife. Although the gay representation is great I’m sorry to say I’m gonna have to ask Anita Sarkesian to #cancel this manga. 😔

Dex-chan lover
@gum_rummy gonna disagree with ya here. The female character ain’t written badly or anything. Obviously the focus character is like this because [read the title] it’s intentional. We’re not gonna get into the mother, father, brother or Eve the love interest that much. It’s about the mother thinking of her possible gay son lol

Dex-chan lover
@JKTV I think it’s possible to maintain the conceit of the manga while allowing the mom, the perspective character, to seem more human. Not saying I dislike the manga or don’t understand the scope of it, but how archetypical she is relative to how humanized the son is is weird to me personally.

Aggregator gang
@gum_rummy This manga is an elaborate metaphor? Are we reading the same four page comedy about a simple housewife's observations about her son?

Dex-chan lover
@Loksel I never mentioned metaphors. I think we’re reading the same comic but maybe not the same comments haha 😆

Dex-chan lover
@gum_rummy she seems plenty human to me; raising two kids practically alone wouldn't leave much time or energy for anything outside the "housewife archetype".

Dex-chan lover
@gronkle I'm telling you, even the busiest people have personalities, pasts, interests, ambitions, complaints, hopes, etc, and even when people find themselves in similar life circumstances, they're still unique. Not every story needs this, but I do think it's nice when the writing can suggest that a character is a complete individual outside of the role that the story they're in needs them to fulfill.

@gum_rummy
with any other series i'd agree, but i feel like the simplicity of the series grants that permission

it's simply a mother's observation of her son and switching topics to insights on her own life or anyone else would feel like a special episode or something haha

but in the end i do think learning more about her would be nice, it just doesn't feel like it's necessary given the premise 💔

Users who are viewing this thread