Uglyhood

This Manhwa is still so good, I wish I could read Korean just to read this in its entirety lol. It’s very similar to OPM, with its weird slap stick comedy with serious plot lines (of course the OP main character) and the art is just, meme worthy dude.

It’s not everybody’s cup of tea of course, but just having a female lead who’s unique (and not sexualized) as Elsa is awesome. I wish there were more badass female protagonists in shounen like stories who are the main characters. Kinda like Emma from Promised Neverland

Dex-chan lover
I like the story, except for the few chapters that do nothing but go on about "Class" this and "Class" that. Like, we get it, there's a class system and the disparity between classes is very much established. The characters are interesting, but sometimes come off a little one-note, particularly the villains except Sera and the new leader of TOY. The art is really sub-par, especially the backgrounds, but that's fine- the characters are interesting enough to keep reading and it's much better than anything I could muster to draw. But the humour seems to rely heavily on online memes and inside jokes, which I don't mind every now and then, but they're wayyyy too frequent for me. I don't understand Korean but the translations are pretty sub-par. Reading "rofl" and "lolol" in the speech bubbles is weird for me, but that might be a personal preference, others might not mind it.

I'm still interested in this but there's too much humour

another person compared it to one punch man and that's a good comparison. OPM knows how to balance humour with seriousness, and will have long periods of serious bouts (usually when Saitama isn't around) and most characters stay serious

literally everybody is cracking jokes in Uglyhood and it makes it really hard to take the evil alien church very serious

edit: oh yea, the author draws silly faces EVERYWHERE

I really love this manga. It is quite original and funny at times. Although I agree with other comments that at times it cant balance the serious vs funny and it takes itself less seriously than it probably should.

the comedy and serious was a bit confusing to me at first when i read this but the more i read this the more tolerable the comedy is and once you get used to it its pretty amazing

well in my opinion at the very least

Maybe it's cause I'm Asian and get plenty of the memes, but holy sh*t, the memey faces parts got me gasping for air 😭. The story of the bullying and sh*t, got me feeling things. But maybe again, it's 'cause I'm very.. sympathetic? an empath? I don't know, but I also have no problems with the (lol) and (rofl) added to the chat bubbles. It just adds up more to the fun. This was a fkn masterpiece for me since I didn't sleep on a school day for it. The serious parts too, I'm 100% hooked. Hail Uglyhood 👹(rofl)

Honestly this whole story is just endlessly frustrating. The constant back and forth inconsitencies with powers make it come to a standstill. It's just all so drawn out that it becomes really boring. The only reason I read it this far is because the evil characters piss me off so much and I want to FINALLY see at least ONE of them pay.
The only ones really dying are cannonfodder that you have no emotional investment with and even then it's 90% dying becausse of the other evil people.
I get that there has to be struggle to get everyone motivated and you can't just kill them off, but if everything that is done always ends in a "bleh"/negative/neutral outcome then it's just not interesting. Why does EVERYONE (that is not a minor character) ALWAYS have to survive "just barely" this makes me so unfathomable angry and I want to reimbursed fro the time I spent on this boring shit

Users who are viewing this thread