Uma Musume Pretty Derby: Star Blossom - Vol. 2 Ch. 15 - Snow In Hazard

Dex-chan lover
So, if I understand, Uma Musume does a very great and good work for fans of the original sport, but you have to be good at it to catch all the references and lore? As for the deaths, I'm not sure they could have gone for it, but the drama was clearly in the anime's favor since you were getting a real serious sports show instead of the expected waifu bait. I always loved when Cygames or Bushi did things like this because you really start to take seriously a brand, that can be seem just gatcha and bishoujo oriented.

Thanks for the clarification. As far as I can see, you have a good understanding of the subject.

Dex-chan lover
So, if I understand, Uma Musume does a very great and good work for fans of the original sport, but you have to be good at it to catch all the references and lore? As for the deaths, I'm not sure they could have gone for it, but the drama was clearly in the anime's favor since you were getting a real serious sports show instead of the expected waifu bait. I always loved when Cygames or Bushi did things like this because you really start to take seriously a brand, that can be seem just gatcha and bishoujo oriented.

Thanks for the clarification. As far as I can see, you have a good understanding of the subject.
the designs for the girls are really done with great care for detail. Especially those with specific origins like Matikanetanhausser and Eishin Flash with both being German base which then reflects to their racing uniform... Oktoberfest ladies.

Narita Brian's racing silk colours are also implemented well in the Umamusume version including Brian's iconic shadowroll with the band-aid on her nose and the big white accessory she has on her racing uniform.

So yeah... you gotta have some level of knowledge in Keiba to catch all the tiniest easter eggs in the franchise.

One easter egg in Season 2 was Daitaku Helios's introduction. She was letting out her frustration about her "ojou/m'lady". She was actually talking about Daiichi Ruby. Fun fact, IRL Helios was known to run better whenever he races with Ruby. Said he's in love with her which then their Umamusume version having Helios a major simp towards Ruby.

The other one is McQueen-Teio ship is just impossible since McQueen's legal wife is also present in the anime.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
the designs for the girls are really done with great care for detail. Especially those with specific origins like Matikanetanhausser and Eishin Flash with both being German base which then reflects to their racing uniform... Oktoberfest ladies.

Narita Brian's racing silk colours are also implemented well in the Umamusume version including Brian's iconic shadowroll with the band-aid on her nose and the big white accessory she has on her racing uniform.

So yeah... you gotta have some level of knowledge in Keiba to catch all the tiniest easter eggs in the franchise.

One easter egg in Season 2 was Daitaku Helios's introduction. She was letting out her frustration about her "ojou/m'lady". She was actually talking about Daiichi Ruby. Fun fact, IRL Helios was known to run better whenever he races with Ruby. Said he's in love with her which then their Umamusume version having Helios a major simp towards Ruby.

The other one is McQueen-Teio ship is just impossible since McQueen's legal wife is also present in the anime.
While we're talking about ships, is it like in Azur Lane, some characters have different crushes on each other or even just a shipable meaningful relationship, but generally also have a attraction on the trainer or something? As far as I know, in the universe of the game, horse girls are only a female race, so they do not have to have relationships with human men or have relationships at all in order to produce offspring. As in the AL I mentioned, but there the game rarely goes too deep with canonical yuri like Princeton simping to Saratoga or the "ojisan" mentality of Prince Edward.

I understand that a certain yuri bait is common in these kinds of franchises (as far as I understand game premise, rivalries very easily turn into ships if you want), even if the anime made the story somewhat less fanservicey (for example, making Special Week a more serious character), but I was confused that some of the characters were actually siblings and parents and children in real life.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
While we're talking about ships, is it like in Azur Lane, some characters have different crushes on each other or even just a shipable meaningful relationship, but generally also have a attraction on the trainer or something? As far as I know, in the universe of the game, horse girls are only a female race, so they do not have to have relationships with human men or have relationships at all in order to produce offspring. As in the AL I mentioned, but there the game rarely goes too deep with canonical yuri like Princeton simping to Saratoga or the "ojisan" mentality of Prince Edward.

I understand that a certain yuri bait is common in these kinds of franchises (as far as I understand game premise, rivalries very easily turn into ships if you want), even if the anime made the story somewhat less fanservicey (for example, making Special Week a more serious character), but I was confused that some of the characters were actually siblings and parents and children in real life.
it's more of these girls draw massive inspiration from other horse girls. Cases like Helios are quite rare in the game. Because more or less, they have sort of relationship with each other. Which can cause hilarious drama for the fans tbh. The Narita Top Road and Hishi Miracle is one example. :kek:

As for being attracted to you, the trainer, that'll depend on the girl's history. 'cause a lot of the time, the girls are way too pre-occupied by their quirks and "romance" take a backseat. Telling the horse's history is far more important. E.G. Lying to Sakura Bakushin O that running 3 short distance race is equal to one long race (1200m*3). To which the lovable idiot believes.

but that doesn't mean others aren't affectionate or shippable with the player. Curren Chan and Nice Nature are an example of an affectionate Umamusume. With Curren's history of being a kind mare to her jockey and Nature being the caretaking type of a Mafia Boss.

Heck Eishin Flash introduced the player to her parents in a courting atmosphere. :kek:

Dex-chan lover
it's more of these girls draw massive inspiration from other horse girls. Cases like Helios are quite rare in the game. Because more or less, they have sort of relationship with each other. Which can cause hilarious drama for the fans tbh. The Narita Top Road and Hishi Miracle is one example. :kek:

As for being attracted to you, the trainer, that'll depend on the girl's history. 'cause a lot of the time, the girls are way too pre-occupied by their quirks and "romance" take a backseat. Telling the horse's history is far more important. E.G. Lying to Sakura Bakushin O that running 3 short distance race is equal to one long race (1200m*3). To which the lovable idiot believes.

but that doesn't mean others aren't affectionate or shippable with the player. Curren Chan and Nice Nature are an example of an affectionate Umamusume. With Curren's history of being a kind mare to her jockey and Nature being the caretaking type of a Mafia Boss.

Heck Eishin Flash introduced the player to her parents in a courting atmosphere. :kek:
You want to say that token yuri girls are still frankly rare, but we have a lot of girls with "strong emotional bonds" like Special Week and Suzuka, whom I mentioned earlier? And such girls are guaranteed Trainer-zoned you? I just didn't quite understand what kind of drama you meant.

So, can this be compared to IMAS in the end, where most of the girls are "friendly" with P-san, but the game focuses on your professional work together first of all and only then remember about fanservice? I'm sorry if I'm asking too pointed and stuffy questions, I just easily become obsessed with franchises that catch my attention.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You want to say that token yuri girls are still frankly rare, but we have a lot of girls with "strong emotional bonds" like Special Week and Suzuka, whom I mentioned earlier? I just didn't quite understand what kind of drama you meant.

So, can this be compared to IMAS, where most of the girls are "friendly" with P-san, but the game focuses on your professional work together first of all and only then remember about fanservice? I'm sorry if I'm asking too pointed and stuffy questions, I just easily become obsessed with franchises that catch my attention.
Basically yes. A lot of "yuri" in the game just come them acting very close due RL connection. Mostly come from parent-child relationships. King Halo and Kawakami Princess is an example (RL Dad and Daughter) and in game, King Halo is an actual ojou-sama while Kawakami Princess was born dirt poor but wanna act and feel like a princess so she takes a student approach and copy King Halo's mannerisms like the Ojou laugh.

There are like 3 legit yuri ship that can be done atm. McQueen and Ikuno Dictus, Daitaku Helios and Daiichi Ruby, Symboli Kris S and Cesario (Special Week's daughter)

Also yes on your second question. The fanservice here is clearly the history of the horse which a lot of Keiba fans like 'cause it can be funny or tragic.

Now about the drama:
Umamusume Road to the Top finishes airing.
Cygames teases the next character to be released in the game with the clues "son of Soccer Boy" and "Won Kikka Sho".
Narita Top Road and Hishi Miracle fits both as the two are sons of the known Soccer Boy and both won Kikka Sho.
Fans got mad that they got NTR'd of their NTR with a lazy horse. :kek:

One thing I almost forgot to mention is that the girls have human dads. Narita Top Road and Kitasan Black proves this.

No probs in the questions. It's quite rare an Umamusume discussion gets held here :kek:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Basically yes. A lot of "yuri" in the game just come them acting very close due RL connection. Mostly come from parent-child relationships. King Halo and Kawakami Princess is an example (RL Dad and Daughter) and in game, King Halo is an actual ojou-sama while Kawakami Princess was born dirt poor but wanna act and feel like a princess so she takes a student approach and copy King Halo's mannerisms like the Ojou laugh.

There are like 3 legit yuri ship that can be done atm. McQueen and Ikuno Dictus, Daitaku Helios and Daiichi Ruby, Symboli Kris S and Cesario (Special Week's daughter)

Also yes on your second question. The fanservice here is clearly the history of the horse which a lot of Keiba fans like 'cause it can be funny or tragic.

Now about the drama:
Umamusume Road to the Top finishes airing.
Cygames teases the next character to be released in the game with the clues "son of Soccer Boy" and "Won Kikka Sho".
Narita Top Road and Hishi Miracle fits both as the two are sons of the known Soccer Boy and both won Kikka Sho.
Fans got mad that they got NTR'd of their NTR with a lazy horse. :kek:

One thing I almost forgot to mention is that the girls have human dads. Narita Top Road and Kitasan Black proves this.

No probs in the questions. It's quite rare an Umamusume discussion gets held here :kek:
In any case, thanks for the answers. I enjoyed the first season, but gradually lost track of the franchise as I missed the broadcast of the second one.

So, these three ships are the ones where the characters show some canon attraction/romantic interest? Or does it also depend on whether the player/viewer will be interested in shipping or not? After the first season, it seemed to me that the anime was actively teasing the idea of McQueen x Gold Ship, although from what I heard, they parted ways after the second season. Eh, it seems like I'm just paying too much attention to the shipping instead of what could be the experience of cooperation and communication between each character and "me" directly. Unless the anime goes too far with this, given the Player's formal absence from the plot.

Human fathers? I can understand why the media doesn't show them as often, but I get the impression that the world of horse girls is built around IVF so as not to interfere with the fantasy that each character is pure and innocent. Although if I understand you correctly, lore mostly ignore parent-child bonds to avoid problems with age.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
In any case, thanks for the answers. I enjoyed the first season, but gradually lost track of the franchise as I missed the broadcast of the second one.

So, these three ships are the ones where the characters show some canon attraction/romantic interest? Or does it also depend on whether the player/viewer will be interested in shipping or not? After the first season, it seemed to me that the anime was actively teasing the idea of McQueen x Gold Ship, although from what I heard, they parted ways after the second season. Eh, it seems like I'm just paying too much attention to the shipping instead of what could be the experience of cooperation and communication between each character and "me" directly. Unless the anime goes too far with this, given the Player's formal absence from the plot.

Human fathers? I can understand why the media doesn't show them as often, but I get the impression that the world of horse girls is built around IVF so as not to interfere with the fantasy that each character is pure and innocent. Although if I understand you correctly, lore mostly ignore parent-child bonds to avoid problems with age.
Gold Ship is McQueen's grandson. So if anything, GolShi was just playing with grampa.

the yuri shipping I provided actually has RL history to it. McQueen IRL shows deep affection to Ikuno and vice versa despite the two birthing foals that weren't up to par for races. In the anime/game they get along very well with the air of professionalism.

Helios, like I said, is said to be smitten by Ruby IRL and would perform better in races with her in it. So his anime/game version is a simp.

Cesario and Kris S haven't established any solid interaction in the game but since Daring Tact (their grandchild) is in the game, the shipping sailed along with Special Week memes of not giving Cesario to Kris S

About fathers, yeah... Narita Top Road's dad ask his acquaintance to be the trainer for her and Kitasan Black's dad can be seen in her flashback.
Sweep Tosho also mentions her dad whom she has tantrums with, who is based on her actual IRL jockey, Ikezoe Ken'ichi.

Kitasan Black's dad is actually based on Kitajima Saburo, who is the actual owner of the horse.

Dex-chan lover
Gold Ship is McQueen's grandson. So if anything, GolShi was just playing with grampa.

the yuri shipping I provided actually has RL history to it. McQueen IRL shows deep affection to Ikuno and vice versa despite the two birthing foals that weren't up to par for races. In the anime/game they get along very well with the air of professionalism.

Helios, like I said, is said to be smitten by Ruby IRL and would perform better in races with her in it. So his anime/game version is a simp.

Cesario and Kris S haven't established any solid interaction in the game but since Daring Tact (their grandchild) is in the game, the shipping sailed along with Special Week memes of not giving Cesario to Kris S

About fathers, yeah... Narita Top Road's dad ask his acquaintance to be the trainer for her and Kitasan Black's dad can be seen in her flashback.
Sweep Tosho also mentions her dad whom she has tantrums with, who is based on her actual IRL jockey, Ikezoe Ken'ichi.

Kitasan Black's dad is actually based on Kitajima Saburo, who is the actual owner of the horse.
Ah, now I understand what you meant. I just initially thought that you wanted to say that they have a canon relationship or canon attraction like Helios has for Ruby. So, any shipping is still mostly entirely voluntary, as the relationships of real horses serve as a big source of inspiration for the characters and their dynamics with each other, including such close, but this doesn't necessarily literally translate into the anime/game literally like Helios simping?

Even so? This is refreshing after universes like Love Live, where all the male relatives of the characters suddenly had urgent matters to attend to and disappeared from focus :D That is, girls still require a full-fledged relationship in order to have offspring, although the game and anime ignore the fact that some characters were parents and children in real life, like the mentioned McQueen and GoldShip?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ah, now I understand what you meant. I just initially thought that you wanted to say that they have a canon relationship or canon attraction like Helios has for Ruby. So, any shipping is still mostly entirely voluntary, as the relationships of real horses serve as a big source of inspiration for the characters and their dynamics with each other, including such close, but this doesn't necessarily literally translate into the anime/game literally like Helios simping?

Even so? This is refreshing after universes like Love Live, where all the male relatives of the characters suddenly had urgent matters to attend to and disappeared from focus :D That is, girls still require a full-fledged relationship in order to have offspring, although the game and anime ignore the fact that some characters were parents and children in real life, like the mentioned McQueen and GoldShip?
the thing with the girls is that majority of the time, they're just massive fans of the older generation and fangirls a lot. How they show their adoration varies. So yes... literally not on the same level as Helios's romantic simping.

Older generation uma being the actual parent of the girls is so, so, so ultra rare in Umamusume with Special Week being the prime example so far to have her actual mom, Campaign Girl, appear and voiced.

Oguri Cap's mom, White Narubi, is also prominent during the prologue arc in the manga.

This works since the horses are only fully recognized as siblings if they came from the same Dam (mother), not Sire (father).

Dex-chan lover
the thing with the girls is that majority of the time, they're just massive fans of the older generation and fangirls a lot. How they show their adoration varies. So yes... literally not on the same level as Helios's romantic simping.

Older generation uma being the actual parent of the girls is so, so, so ultra rare in Umamusume with Special Week being the prime example so far to have her actual mom, Campaign Girl, appear and voiced.

Oguri Cap's mom, White Narubi, is also prominent during the prologue arc in the manga.

This works since the horses are only fully recognized as siblings if they came from the same Dam (mother), not Sire (father).
I see. Thanks for your answers and the overall conversation, you've really helped broaden my understanding of the franchise and now I will know more nuances when I finally have the opportunity to return to anime and trying out the game. I wish you a good weekend and I apologize if I’ve already gotten bored you over these two days. I'm a really picky person :D.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I see. Thanks for your answers and the overall conversation, you've really helped broaden my understanding of the franchise and now I will know more nuances when I finally have the opportunity to return to anime and trying out the game. I wish you a good weekend and I apologize if I’ve already gotten bored you over these two days. I'm a really picky person :D.
no man. I actually enjoy this convo since you won't literally get that convo about keiba pretty easily unless you know JP peeps or happen to meet someone in the internet who knows about it.

been fun and I also wish you a good day too! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread