Under Ninja - Ch. 104 - Those Two Don't Get Along

Fed-Kun's army
@grimdotmp4 - is there a recurring joke about ninjas not understanding slang over the phone? On page 4, Toichi has to repeat "No, not 'Im', 'Him'" on the phone with Big Dick - echoing Ozu's phone call on Ch. 68 pg. 18 where he has to clarify "'yello" as "hello". Are they using some slang that the other side doesn't get, sliding into an unintelligible Nermia accent (?), or is it just a bad phone connection?

Group Leader
is there a recurring joke about ninjas not understanding slang over the phone?
While it could technically be a recurring joke just because it involves phones, the actual joke behind the interactions is different in both cases.

In chapter 68, Ozu is unintentionally speaking with very informal speech, and then he corrects himself with more formal language.

In this chapter, Toichi uses まかす (makasu), and Big Dick confuses it as マンカス (mankasu), which is slang for “vaginal smegma”.
I tried my best to make a mispronunciation-like workaround in English but ended up settling with something that didn’t capture the crudeness of the raw.

Fed-Kun's army
While it could technically be a recurring joke just because it involves phones, the actual joke behind the interactions is different in both cases.
Thanks! I totally see it now, in retrospect - Ozu even corrects himself the same way a second time. I think until I read the chapter TL notes for Ueno-san, I never appreciated just how hard it is to carry over many jokes and puns (though that series is based entirely on them). Appreciate all the hard work on the series and answering my dumb questions!

Users who are viewing this thread