Until I Become Me - Ch. 64

Dex-chan lover
image.png

What the hell happened to her right arm 💀💀💀💀💀💀
Great chapter btw

Dex-chan lover
Yeah ok, these two are definitely getting together right?

This latest chapter does seem to suggest that. Ultimately, the decision lies with Satou Hatsuki. That being said, I wouldn't want Akira and Rumi to get together just because Akira used to be a boy, but because that's their inclination. But again, that's Satou Hatsuki's priority.
I hope this doesn't cause a scatstorm (been there, done that), but the artwork in this chapter does not wow me as much as the art of Chapter 63. The last panel of page 3 (in which the ladies are posing for a selfie) is unsettling to look at. Though Rumi is cute when she calls Akira a perv.

P.S. On another note, I've been wondering how this series would be adapted, if at all, and the more I think about, the more it seems that if Until I Become Me is seen outside of digital and physical pages, it will be as a live-action show instead of as an animated production. Which is a bit disconcerting, as few seem to care for live-action adaptations.
P.S.S. Having seen the raws,
I'm concerned about what happens next... or maybe it's just a-cup angst.

Dex-chan lover
After all before as far as she knew Akira was just a regular girl, liking girl too was always an unknown, but with knowing Akira was once a boy it's safe to assume she do like girls.
ok, can you rephrase that so I don’t misunderstand?
I’m just getting lost in the order of operations, here, and don’t want to misunderstand.

Dex-chan lover
This latest chapter does seem to suggest that. Ultimately, the decision lies with Satou Hatsuki. That being said, I wouldn't want Akira and Rumi to get together just because Akira used to be a boy, but because that's their inclination. But again, that's Satou Hatsuki's priority.
I got a similar feeling, but I actually think that could be played well depending on how Hatsuki-sensei handles it. Imagine an arc where Rumi reveals she's had feelings for Akira for a long time, but she ignored them and downplayed them because two girls being together would be too weird or whatev. Now that she knows Akira's past she thinks "oh maybe the reason I liked Akira all along was because she used to be a man" (repressed gay cope), which culminates in Rumi asking Akira to be her "boyfriend" to which Akira has to take time to think about how to respond, and finally comes to Rumi and says that she doesn't wanna be Rumi's boyfriend, but her girlfriend.

It would give a be a big moment for both Akira accepting that she's a girl as well as Rumi accepting her own sexuality.

Of course this is all my own demented ramblings, so it probably wont be like this.

Dex-chan lover
ok, can you rephrase that so I don’t misunderstand?
I’m just getting lost in the order of operations, here, and don’t want to misunderstand.
Ok, first of all, reminder that we did get chapters focusing on sexuality and how who Akira will be attracted to is unrelated with her being a boy or a girl.

So with that in mind, due to the heavy subtext let's assume that Rumi is indeed in love with Akira, thing is as far as she knew Akira was just your typical regular girl, Rumi would never be able to tell if Akira is interest in girls too, which would explain why she never said anything so far since Akira might have no interest in girls and at worst can run their friendship.

So my point is that from Rumi POV now that she knows Akira was a boy she probably will assume that Akira do like girls, or at bare minimum will wonder if that is still the case.

I feel Rumi eventually confessing is inevitable, finding about Akira past just makes it easier to happen because she'll assume she has a real chance now, while before it was a shot in the dark.

So rather than them getting together because Akira was a boy, Rumi knowing that will just speed-up things.

I assume that even if she confess they won't get together right away, after all Akira is unsure about her own sexuality, but I do assume that she still like girls, only question is if she's a lesbian or bisexual, I'm assuming the story will touch on that point if Rumi confess.

Does what I mean makes more sense now @Monstrengo and @Thrembs?

One reason I suspect it'll go that way and that will be Rumi logic is because so far the series has been pretty realistic over gender and sexuality, so Rumi not confessing out of fear makes sense, after all gays are a minority and I don't remember we seeing them knowing anyone who's gay, so realistic speaking Rumi confessing could go horribly wrong.

Of course we know it won't go wrong since I belive the series is too light-hearted for that, point is that would be Rumi logic.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I got a similar feeling, but I actually think that could be played well depending on how Hatsuki-sensei handles it. Imagine an arc where Rumi reveals she's had feelings for Akira for a long time, but she ignored them and downplayed them because two girls being together would be too weird or whatev. Now that she knows Akira's past she thinks "oh maybe the reason I liked Akira all along was because she used to be a man" (repressed gay cope), which culminates in Rumi asking Akira to be her "boyfriend" to which Akira has to take time to think about how to respond, and finally comes to Rumi and says that she doesn't wanna be Rumi's boyfriend, but her girlfriend.

It would give a be a big moment for both Akira accepting that she's a girl as well as Rumi accepting her own sexuality.
You make some good points, though somehow I think Rumi actually won't be the issue, but more Akira questioning her own sexuality and gender, with Rumi just saying she loves Akira no matter what, or that she loves Akira as a girl because she's confident of her own sexuality
Of course this is all my own demented ramblings, so it probably wont be like this.
Is there any other type of rambling though? :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
Me: Very sweet chapter of two characters patching old wounds and having a heart to heart
Comments: OMG LESBIANS ME SO HORNY

Duality of man LMAO

Dex-chan lover
did we really need a coming out narrative in this? it's so annoying how in every queer media authors think it's like required.
ok,
A: Tell me you’re not familiar with BL and yuri without telling me you’re not familiar with BL and yuri. It took until like 6 years ago for BL to stop acting like the main characters invented The Gaye (TM), and yuri is still in the land of “everyone is gay unless men exist, in which case they’re all gay but only temporarily”.

B: …OF COURSE MOST QUEER MEDIA HAS COMING-OUT AS PART OF THE STORY!!!

Dex-chan lover
did we really need a coming out narrative in this? it's so annoying how in every queer media authors think it's like required.
I mean a major part of this story from the start was that fear of what others would think and the shame for what Akira used to be, obviously the story was going to head towards a point where she can come out about her past. And yeah, as Thrembs noted, the vast majority of queer manga does not touch on coming out, can very much confirm that for yuri manga at least.

Dex-chan lover
Uh, yeah? What story are you reading? Coming out like this is pretty obviously a huge step for Akira’s character development. The entire story has essentially been about her guilt over “tricking” others into treating her like a girl despite her past as a boy and the various internal conflicts she’s facing related to gender identity. Guilt and struggling with self acceptance are extremely central sources of conflict for Akira.

It was going to have needed to be addressed eventually and I’m glad it did. I get being upset about common plot developments in queer related media being eye rolling, but this is definitely not one of those stories where it’s unnecessary.

Dex-chan lover
Uh, yeah? What story are you reading? Coming out like this is pretty obviously a huge step for Akira’s character development. The entire story has essentially been about her guilt over “tricking” others into treating her like a girl despite her past as a boy and the various internal conflicts she’s facing related to gender identity. Guilt and struggling with self acceptance are extremely central sources of conflict for Akira.

It was going to have needed to be addressed eventually and I’m glad it did. I get being upset about common plot developments in queer related media being eye rolling, but this is definitely not one of those stories where it’s unnecessary.
Yeah, not everything that usually happens irl needs to be part of every piece, but it makes sense for lots of them to be in lots of them.

and just because something is part of the story doesn’t mean it needs to be explicitly, directly addressed. This time it did, because THAT’S WHAT THE ENTIRE STORY IS ABOUT. It’s aaaaaaall about her struggles with identity and guilt and secrets and truths and facts regarding it.

This is the most important arc since she started dressing up and stuff.

I have been raving about “Haru no Mizu“ every for a while, because it’s FUCKING ADORABLE.
but part of the piece is one character being nonbinary. That comes up as “they kept calling you cute”
“did your friends think I was a woman?”
“yeah, I’m sorry”
“no, I get that a lot. I suppose it’s because I’m nonbinary”
“non…?”
“Basically I don’t mind if people think I’m a woman”
“oh. I’m glad it doesn’t bother you, because you really are cute.”
and that’s the moment where the guy stops being ”?” when he goes “doki“.
Never comes up again. Doesn’t need to. Just a simple, cute love story.
Still uses the right pronouns (he/him equivalent, which is the “I/me” the other person uses.)

This, in 2 pages, flashbacks (establishing general backstory, which is more important to the plot) and subtle phrasing tell us “This is an AMAB enby, this is a man who is neither straight not gay.” Without belabouring either point, because that’s hardly even part of the plot!

There are stories where that is the entire point, for better or worse.

Also, while I am trans, I am homosexual, and not nonbinary. I just thought that was such a good way of showing that orientation and identity aren’t just “boy or girl, straight or gay”.
One can not be attracted to one or either of the basic* genders, but to the less common ones (or those that have none, ofc).
We don’t even know if he’s into girls or not (not relevant). Just that he’s not into guys, but is into his sort of enby (because “?” before the two panels of coming out, then “!” after)

(nothing wrong with being basic! I was mildly disappointed when it turned out I wasn’t bucking gender standards and norms and was just an old dyke, and wasn’t even cool anymore, just a neurotic Jewish mother.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread