Ura Baito: Toubou Kinshi - Ch. 160 - Estate Liquidator ②

Aggregator gang
Yeah right, no clue at all😭
Is the father inside the doll now? Was the detective's luck all from the father's hobby?

Why that face inside the cow's stomach? Symbolizing rebirth?
I only understand our girls escaped and I'm glad.

Btw, thank you for the quick update! I thought we would wait for a few weeks since you have caught up with the Japanese release.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I'm hella confused about this one. The figurine was evil because... why? What connection did it have with the detective's father? Why did the father's dead body appear in a random cow?

I'm guessing that maybe this all has to do with the Yagi's assertion at the end that the reason that he got involved in the gray is because it's super mysterious and unfathomable, hence why the stuff that happened makes no sense because it's part of the gray, but other than that I'm stumped.

Dex-chan lover
If I read this correctly, this is just a Chekov Guned Red Herring chapter, the two incidents are not directly related to each other.

so basically, Takuma (the detective)'s father collects various gray objects, to the point of obsession, which eventually leads to his divorce, and now one of his collections also kills him in the most bizarre way. yet even so he is dead smiling.

Takuma hearing his father's demise now has to clean his house (liquidate his property) and there they find a gray doll that may or may not have killed his father. Yet that is not important for this chapter. the more important thing is Takuma and his mother's conversation.

Takuma's mother tried to convince him to stop his current job as a gray worker broker because she had prepared a better employment, (and implicitly) She also worried that his job would lead Takuma to the same fate as his father. which Takuma declined as his current job as a Gray Worker Broker is his obsession (much like same as his father)

So what this chapter wants to convey is... sometimes, people will risk their lives for their obsession / to escape their boredom of mundane life. Takuma's father's death condition and the creepy doll are just Chekov Guns Red Herring that are not really important and just tools to show the danger of the Gray world, yet in the end, Takuma's father dies smiling, and now Takuma also doesn't want to forfeit his job.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
When something "stink" it mean it pose a threat to Kokuryou and company. So it can also mean that all of these items are gray items but since they do not pose an immediate threat or their activation requirement are not fulfilled they do not "stink". The figurine can be activated right away so it "stink".

Supporter
I like that this ended up having nothing to do with the mystery of the figurine. Instead of being just another 'haunted toy makes scary faces' story we got a little psychological portrait of why somebody, Takuma in particular, is drawn to grey work - and the weird figurine was just a parallel sidenote. I don't want every story to be like this, but once in a while it's neat.

From my understanding, this time's story is purposely written in a way that makes no sense. This is precisely what Mr. Yagi talks about, he was bored of the "right" path because he was so intelligent that he could more or less grasp and predict everything he dabbled with. However, horse races and "gray" cases offer him an aspect of unpredictability/incomprehensibility. Why his dad ended up in a cow's stomach, and what the fetish actually does is unknown but that's exactly why Mr. Yagi likes gray cases.

Double-page supporter
If I read this correctly, this is just a Chekov Gun chapter, the two incidents are not directly related to each other.

so basically, Takuma (the detective)'s father collects various gray objects, to the point of obsession, which eventually leads to his divorce, and now one of his collections also kills him in the most bizarre way. yet even so he is dead smiling.

Takuma hearing his father's demise now has to clean his house (liquidate his property) and there they find a gray doll that may or may not have killed his father. Yet that is not important for this chapter. the more important thing is Takuma and his mother's conversation.

Takuma's mother tried to convince him to stop his current job as a gray worker broker because she had prepared a better employment, (and implicitly) She also worried that his job would lead Takuma to the same fate as his father. which Takuma declined as his current job as a Gray Worker Broker is his obsession (much like same as his father)

So what this chapter wants to convey is... sometimes, people will risk their lives for their obsession / to escape their boredom of mundane life. Takuma's father's death condition and the creepy doll are just Chekov Guns that are not really important and just tools to show the danger of the Gray world, yet in the end, Takuma's father died smiling, and now Takuma also doesn't want to forfeit his job.
100% agree with your assessment, but I don't think thats what "chekhov gun" meant.

Group Leader
Also he gambles not cuz he's a gambling addict but cuz he craves things he doesn't understand. If he won in horse races he would just quit after a few times

Dex-chan lover
If I read this correctly, this is just a Chekov Gun chapter, the two incidents are not directly related to each other.

So what this chapter wants to convey is... sometimes, people will risk their lives for their obsession / to escape their boredom of mundane life. Takuma's father's death condition and the creepy doll are just Chekov Guns that are not really important and just tools to show the danger of the Gray world, yet in the end, Takuma's father died smiling, and now Takuma also doesn't want to forfeit his job.
Instead of "Chekhov's gun" I think you meant "red herring."

Dex-chan lover
I like it, surprised the doll thing was just running after them. I dont mind if this guy comes in later for further weird shit happenings.

Dex-chan lover
I really do kind of enjoy that the child who stayed with the "normal" parent seems to have wound up more twisted... sometimes it turns out that way....

Users who are viewing this thread