Ura Baito: Toubou Kinshi - Vol. 7 Ch. 83 - Archaeological Excavation Assistant ③

Dex-chan lover
Huh, yup this is one of those mysteries that do just need to be mostly explained because the whole deal is that it makes itself never happen.

I do wonder to what degree all of this was really just an experiment by the mystery institute to see if the change would happen rather than the archeology itself.

Also arguably this is the first time our two main characters have for real died. If we're to believe that it's not just that it never happen but that things get overwritten. Then yeah the version of them that went to do some digging is now dead and gone.

Dex-chan lover
Okay actually after thinking on this for a bit. Them turning back to continue digging for the fossil even though it's going to be overwritten may have actually saved their lives in a fucked up way.

Because clearly this "designer" wants them not to make that discovery and has been like showing probably the same thing to all the research assistants that it showed to the professor.

So it's been locally changing history to get people to back off and presumably get them to disappear/kill themselves by driving them mad, but because Yume and Nagomi didn't back off the "designer" decided instead to just do a global rewrite to make it so the two of them don't even come to the archeological dig. Making sure that no undue discoveries are made that way.

Group Leader
this arc is so confusing.

why was 1 of the monsters white smelling in the last chapter? they were all enemies except for that one that they ran to the direction of.

what was the point of the flashback to the professors past, and why is the monsters he draw basically the superior beings?

was the professors getting attacked after insulting professor a real event or imagined?

Dex-chan lover
why was 1 of the monsters white smelling in the last chapter? they were all enemies except for that one that they ran to the direction of.
My theory is that the enemy was the designer, not the monsters so what 'smelled white' was actually just getting away from those closest to the grotesque man, which is what triggers the designer to reset the clock.

Dex-chan lover

what was the point of the flashback to the professors past, and why is the monsters he draw basically the superior beings?

was the professors getting attacked after insulting professor a real event or imagined?
The professors getting attacked was the archeology guy's imagination, just like his childhood where he imagined a monster attacking his parents to get them to stop fighting.

My theory as to why that was shown at all was to draw a parallel to the "designer." Apparently it's some sort of UMA like being that is able to rewrite reality/history if people get too close to it/unearth it like from the dig. When it rewrites history it makes what happened like it was "imagined" just like how the archeology guy "imagined" attacking his parents/other professors with his made up monster.

Anyway this is pretty huge, history literally got rewritten and it affected the two MCs, we'll see if this has any repercussions in the future.

Dex-chan lover
BreadBunny kind of explained it? History being rewrote so the MCs never went there. Don't really get the other details though.

Dex-chan lover

The non-stinky creature is the previous Mr. Hirakawa who got erased in the last universal iteration.

The superior beings of Hirakawa's imagination eating the professors aren't important to the story. What is important is what they're saying about history being a lie. Hirakawa is remembering his old belief (expressed in a psychotic delusion) and realizing that he was right all along.

Dex-chan lover
BreadBunny kind of explained it? History being rewrote so the MCs never went there. Don't really get the other details though.
The shamanic ritual is explaining why the "god" can be found in Japan. Ito Hirobumi's assassination is an important historical landmark, but in one of the iterations Ito beat up the assassin and survived.

Group Leader
The non-stinky creature is the previous Mr. Hirakawa who got erased in the last universal iteration.

The superior beings of Hirakawa's imagination eating the professors aren't important to the story. What is important is what they're saying about history being a lie. Hirakawa is remembering his old belief (expressed in a psychotic delusion) and realizing that he was right all along.
i thught the replica they dug out of the grround was the previous hirakawa. then what was the white smelling white guy that they run past?

Dex-chan lover
i thught the replica they dug out of the grround was the previous hirakawa. then what was the white smelling white guy that they run past?
Well, no. The replicas aren't replicas. The "god" skeleton prepared them for the next iteration. I think if the girls had continued digging they would have found statues of themselves.

Dex-chan lover
The more I try to understand the less I understand. Fitting for a being called designer. What's important is something changed. Like that one arc where they literally went into a different timeline. I love this series man. It's so fucking vague and totally represents what an encounter with beings from a higher level of existence.

Dex-chan lover
It seems that this entity was created via ritual sacrifice, perhaps? And this is where it happened, this is its corpse. Or something.

More importantly, this entity has reality-altering abilities and time manipulation. But notably cannot control or predict the actions of sapient beings. It can turn back time and make it storm, but it cannot simply force Yume and Hama to turn down the job, and it couldn't know that they would interfere ahead of time and make it storm from the beginning.

We also don't know how far it can turn back time, or what the limit of its reality-altering abilities is.

And it's called the Designer. Not the Creator, or even God. This thing didn't make the world. It has no particular right to choose the course of history, it simply has the power to do so. So it does choose the course of history as it sees fit.

Dex-chan lover
Second story where we've seen a child's play do things which manifest as horror on "the real world". Perhaps a thematic throughline?

Anyway, I deeply appreciated some of the "good" spirits here. Professor from a past age, the bouba-shaped hollow being, all that. It's cool! I'm not catching all of the history shenanigans, for example the shaman's ritual is lost on me, but it's all cool. I just wonder what Tokiko knew?

Users who are viewing this thread