Urasekai Picnic - Vol. 10 Ch. 61 - The Whispered Voice Requires Self-Responsibility VIII

Dex-chan lover
Toriko & Sorawo both were pretty fucking dumb in this chapter, but let's see how it's gonna play out.
I wonder if everyone will be able to see Satsuki thanks to the spooky cube of doom.
Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Eh, the shotgun was indeed a bad idea to fire there imo. The spread might be mostly fine (usually their arc is surprisingly narrow), but mc afaik has never shot it and won't know what margins she has and any certainty that she will handle the recoil. It is possible that it will clip the hostage (felt somewhat inconsistent regarding how close she sat, so I'm going to assume it was close enough to be potentially problematic). And that is before we consider the possibility for ricochets.
No, since she also had a pistol, so should have quickly pulled it and shot the girl with that instead. Or aimed the shotgun to the mother+floor and shot at the leg, shouldn't be likely to ricochet into any eyes and the mother was far to the side.
Ricochet?? Do you think she's shooting rubber pellets? God damn buckshot isn't gonna hit a person sitting on a desk then fly out the other side hit a wall and bounce back 180°.
ahe0Trf.png

They are nowhere near each other this is more than enough to make the shot and recoil is not even in the equation with a single shot.
Also yeah, pistol, fucking kill her. Sorawo is supposed to be the smart one that knows how dangerous people are.
She got kidnapped and almost killed once already.
You are fighting a brainwashing psychopath that could do who knows what to anybody.
She's an unimaginably serious threat. Kill. Her.

Supporter
Sorawo isn't in her "survival mode" right now, and crossing the line into actually shooting someone is actually a huge step psychologically. Also I feel like this might have been an adaptation moment; I bet the novel is a bit less clear about the exact distance between Runa and Kozakura; I kind of imagine her clinging to Kozakura.

Dex-chan lover
Ricochet?? Do you think she's shooting rubber pellets? God damn buckshot isn't gonna hit a person sitting on a desk then fly out the other side hit a wall and bounce back 180°.
ahe0Trf.png

They are nowhere near each other this is more than enough to make the shot and recoil is not even in the equation with a single shot.
Also yeah, pistol, fucking kill her. Sorawo is supposed to be the smart one that knows how dangerous people are.
You are fighting a brainwashing psychopath that could do who knows what to anybody.
Like I said, the distances/positions were inconsistently drawn. There was a panel where chair girl was pretty much touching table-girls leg. And iirc one where she somehow changed side? (prolly misremember that last one tho).

As for ricochet, isn't that table metal? Yes, I think metal tables and marble floor can ricochet buckshot.

ahe0Trf.png

From what i see we have no way to know what she has loaded, most likely buckshot but might be steel birdshot from all we know, and that shits ricochets. But ye, it should have been pistol time

Group Leader
In the novel, Sorawo did actually throw the shotgun the second she realized it was too risky, and took out her Makarov. (Wait actually, that's exactly what she did in this manga chapter too.) Right after, Urumi Runa "moved away from the desk she had been leaning on to fall against Toriko's chest" (as written in the novel), which means they were pretty damn close. Plus, killing another human being surely takes a lot of mental strength, and as someone mentioned, she isn't in "survival mode", because Toriko is there. She can't just let her mind go blank, and if there the slightest chance of hurting her, she might keep hesitating. That's my take on it, at least.

Dex-chan lover
The issue with this scene is not that Sorawo does not simply kill Runa. That would be obviously quite a boring end to this arc. No, the issue I can see is that she has the gun, and an opportunity to use it, but we're not given a clear motivation for why she does not take the shot.

Still, it's possible to infer the reason: e.g. shooting a high school girl in the heart (or the neck) is not something Sorawo can stomach. She may be "ruthless" when in survival mode, but she has not needed to actually kill any of the cultists so far either. And if she just aimed for Runa's limbs, Runa could still use her voice, and it would just make her more desperate.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
I feel like Sorawo not shooting Rumi (Even if it was just to incapacitate) was out of character, we've been repeatedly shown she's ruthless when necessary (especially when Toriko is in danger) and can remain calm in dangerous situations.
Exactly, i was the entire time like:

"Shoot her kneecaps!! SHOOT HER GODDAMN KNEECAPS SORAWO!! YOU TOO TORIKO!!"

Seriously, neutralizing a threat who can move should've been both top priority, even more when Kozakura was near Urumi and could be taken as a hostage/meatshield at any moment, i felt that all Toriko training experience was gone in such moment, but i guess that can be explained due to the Adrenaline pumping, the stress and mention of Satsuki, however, a threat is a threat regardless, if they didn't surrendered in the first two commands and they can get a hostage at arms lenght, don't take the chance, neutralize them, be it shooting the kneecaps, center mass or the head.

Now about Sorawo not shooting either is quite weird, it seems that she had all intentions of doing so but didn't do it thinking that the shotgun spray pattern could hit Kozakura, which makes me think...

WHY DIDN'T SHE USED HER MAKAROV INSTEAD.

Urumi was distracted with the conversation, i'm quite sure that if both mantained visual contact she could've quickly unholster in time to shoot her in the center mass multiple times, leaving the crazy lady to Toriko.

Double-page supporter
In the novel, Sorawo did actually throw the shotgun the second she realized it was too risky, and took out her Makarov. (Wait actually, that's exactly what she did in this manga chapter too.) Right after, Urumi Runa "moved away from the desk she had been leaning on to fall against Toriko's chest" (as written in the novel), which means they were pretty damn close. Plus, killing another human being surely takes a lot of mental strength, and as someone mentioned, she isn't in "survival mode", because Toriko is there. She can't just let her mind go blank, and if there the slightest chance of hurting her, she might keep hesitating. That's my take on it, at least.
Oh.. i see, so that does answer my question, however that makes me think, why she didn't tried to shoot her kneecaps instead ? I would bet on poor aim on Sorawo's side but not on Toriko one, as in, before the the whole conversation when both had clear aim of the targets which was at arms lenght of a Hostage, anyway, Adrenaline, and the pshychological side of the whole situation was too much perhaps.

Seriously, "neutralizing" a threat should've been top priority, like aiming at center mass trying to hit the shoulder, or aiming for the kneecaps, whatever is the case, the problem here wasn't about "killing" but not actually attempting to shoot, if it hit a lethal part ? Oh well, accidents happen, but not shooting was dumb.

Double-page supporter
The issue with this scene is not that Sorawo does not simply kill Runa. That would be obviously quite a boring end to this arc. No, the issue I can see is that she has the gun, and an opportunity to use it, but we're not given a clear motivation for why she does not take the shot.

Still, it's possible to infer the reason: e.g. shooting a high school girl in the heart (or the neck) is not something Sorawo can stomach. She may be "ruthless" when in survival mode, but she has not needed to actually kill any of the cultists so far either. And if she just aimed for Runa's limbs, Runa could still use her voice, and it would just make her more desperate.

Exactly!! Also, if she were to attempt using her voice after being shot, more two bullets could do the job, it is as when cops subdue a target but they still attempt at raising their weapon, its fair game, they became a full threat now, FINISH THEM. ☠

I'm not sure why anyone isn't considering the fact that there's 2 monsters there that are only held in check by the psycho on the desk.

Even if the simplest approach would be killing/incapacitating her, there's no way to know how those 2 would react. And in close quarters, at that. And there's also the mother to be considered as a wildcard as well.
True, Sorawo isn't in the right headspace to just shoot people, but even if she was it'd be unwise to do it with 2 or 3 unknown levels of threat in the same room

Dex-chan lover
Oh.. i see, so that does answer my question, however that makes me think, why she didn't tried to shoot her kneecaps instead ? I would bet on poor aim on Sorawo's side but not on Toriko one, as in, before the the whole conversation when both had clear aim of the targets which was at arms lenght of a Hostage, anyway, Adrenaline, and the pshychological side of the whole situation was too much perhaps.

Seriously, "neutralizing" a threat should've been top priority, like aiming at center mass trying to hit the shoulder, or aiming for the kneecaps, whatever is the case, the problem here wasn't about "killing" but not actually attempting to shoot, if it hit a lethal part ? Oh well, accidents happen, but not shooting was dumb.
What legit pisses me off the most is Sorawo not getting her fucking yuri drama out of her head during this LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION.

I'm not sure why anyone isn't considering the fact that there's 2 monsters there that are only held in check by the psycho on the desk.

Even if the simplest approach would be killing/incapacitating her, there's no way to know how those 2 would react. And in close quarters, at that. And there's also the mother to be considered as a wildcard as well.
True, Sorawo isn't in the right headspace to just shoot people, but even if she was it'd be unwise to do it with 2 or 3 unknown levels of threat in the same room
So heres the thing is Sorawo had like 2 other chances to just execute the girl with only humans in the room (which she could have eyeballed into insanity in moments, if need be) Why did Sorawo take none of those options? So much would have been resolved. The biggest one was obviously the one where everyone was piling in vision of Sorawo, into a single narrow doorway, with voice lady in lead.

Users who are viewing this thread