Usami-san wa Kamawaretai! - Vol. 1 Ch. 12 - Festivals are Fun!

Contributor
marshmallowfluff.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Looking at how that kid keeps saying how he doesn't understand a woman's heart...he might be a reverse trap too!
That would be so hilarious if the long haired one is a boy and the short haired one is actually a girl.

Double-page supporter
p. 7: Was the term he used something like "otoutotachi"? Because that would just mean something like, "a group of people including my little brother", usually fairly "clear" from the context, in this case meaning, "my younger siblings who are here right now". Kinda like saying, "EternalSnowmantachi" to refer collectively to the members of Daishouri Scanlation. I don't have access to the raws so this could all be moot if he used a different term.

Dex-chan lover
@EternalSnowman & @Walter_vi_Britannia: Actually, it's normal in Japanese to use 兄弟 (kyoudai, lit. "older brother(s) and younger brother(s)") as a catch-all term for siblings regardless of sex; this is reflected in the existence of 男兄弟 and 女兄弟 as specific terms for "male siblings" and "female siblings", as well as the words 姉妹 (shimai, lit. "older sister(s) and younger sister(s)"), 兄姉 (keishi, lit. "older brother and older sister(s)"), 兄妹 (keitei, lit. "older brother and younger sister(s)"), and 姉弟 (shitei, lit. "older sister(s) and younger brother(s)") all have kyoudai as a valid (though irregular) alternate pronunciation. And if you look up the Japanese translations of terms with "sibling" (e.g. "half-sibling"), you'll find that they commonly use 兄弟.

The language also has 兄弟姉妹 (kyoudaishimai, lit. "older brother(s), younger brother(s), older sister(s) and younger sister(s)"), but the lengthiness of the word probably explains why 兄弟 got its gender-neutral connotation.

Group Leader
@MarqFJA87 Yeah, the specific term was used was "otoutoutachi" but like @rebel16 said, it probably was as we originally thought (meaning just siblings), sorry for the misleading info potentially! Thanks for the help as well!

Dex-chan lover
Beaten to the punch on clarifying the "siblings" bit. I'm so proud of our smart little community of manga fans. : )

Dex-chan lover
@EternalSnowman: Ah, yes, the -tachi suffix. Most people mistake it for being having a pluralizing function, when in reality it just means "X's group" and thus "otoutou-tachi" actually translates to "little brother's group" (the closest natural English equivalent would be "little brother and company"). That said, in modern Japanese, the construction does get used often in a manner similar to English plurals, possibly due to influence from English-speaking and other Western cultures.

All I can do is roll my eyes at this MMC but Usami is always adorable so it balances.

Double-page supporter
99.99% OF GAMBLERS STOP BEFORE THEIR BIG WIN!!!!
TURN THAT 50000 DOLLARS INTO 50000 USAMILLION DOLLARS 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

Users who are viewing this thread