Usogui - Vol. 25 Ch. 271 - Encircle The Bee

Dex-chan lover
Enjoyed the conversation. I think it was crucial to highlight Souichi's thoughts during it instead of simply hinting at the fact that his questions were very generic.

Fed-Kun's army
@catx3

True. Now it makes me wonder how much of a front Souichi potentially puts up, or if he feels differently compared to how he acts and claims his objectives are as leader.

Can't imagine his upbringing was all that easy as well, given his position in life.

Just created an account to say this. First off, thank you so much to team Duwang.

Now, Souichi is what is generally called a savant. You may have heard of it. These are people who have extreme aptitude in very specific areas. Art, memory, spatial recognition, arithmetic and music. If youve seen some guy in tv name what day it was on 25th of december 1650, that is a savant. Souichi is shown to have aptitude in multiple areas, rare but possible.

Savants are commonly autistic. But in rarer cases that they are not, all of them have some sort of dysfunction in the central nervous system. Some leading to early death. Souichi has memory loss, but im pretty sure this will be expanded on.

Lastly, savants are hypersensitive. They have extreme perception. They can observe details on a superhuman level. This due to the fact that they access low-level processes that most people are not even aware of. Just think that they can use parts of their brains used by the sub and unconscious in a conscious level.

This is Baku's opponent. My god, it is gonna be epic.

Double-page supporter
@Mhyrria

That's interesting. Your post made me wonder if Souichi was really a savant, or just had excellent memory as a result of something else.

After taking a quick look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exceptional_memory, it seems that Hyperthymesia or Eidetic Memory could fit, but they are not really well researched, nor have any obvious symptoms that fit here. Your point about the memory loss being related to savants and their central nervous system issues seems to fit very well.

It seems that savants with CNS issues are all 'acquired savants', meaning they acquired the condition due to some sort of head trauma or disease, rather than being born with it (otherwise they would have autism or some other developmental disease). I wonder if there's a disease that fits the bill here, or perhaps it was just a case of a freak accident resulting from head trauma.

Dex-chan lover
@Mhyrria @catx3 The thing with savants is, like you said, that half of them are autistic and the other half had an accident or similar that resulted in their exceptional abilities ("In some cases, savant syndrome can be induced following severe head trauma to the left anterior temporal lobe. Savant syndrome has been artificially replicated using transcranial magnetic stimulation to temporarily disable this area of the brain"); since I don't think Souichi counts as autistic, and I don't see foreshadowing for any head injury in his early childhood, it makes it hard for me to believe that Souichi is a savant. Especially since savant syndrome is also partly defined by the savant excelling in some areas (usually just one, and we saw Souichi excel at memorization, artistic ability, spatial ability, and learning) while also having a developmental disorder that hinders them in most other areas (e.g. autism). Hyperthymesia would also be kinda weird, since the whole deal with those is that they remember their personal experiences with extreme detail (of course this would also include books), but Souichi even has a disorder in this area, where he regularly loses episodic memories (personal experiences). Also, people with Hyperthymesia are just automatically exceptional at remembering everything (or more accurately, they just remember everything without trying), but this doesn't make them more intelligent and often doesn't go into different areas ("For example, "AJ", who has the first documented case of hyperthymesia, has difficulty consciously applying her memory strategies to help her memorize new knowledge, making her rote memorization abilities below average. "); All in all, I don't think Souichi is autistic, since he's very psychologically skilled and has been shown to be able to manipulate people (as well as being a good actor, otherwise he wouldn't be able to have a public persona), and it seems unlikely he's a savant or simply has hyperthymesia because he's extremely intelligent in seemingly every domain, so it's either a combination of a few of these things (I mean obviously we can't rule anything out since not enough of his past has been revealed), or he just has an extremely high IQ with an eidetic memory or just great memory due to other traits. The amnesia is probably related to this too, but until we find out if he's an autist (which I consider very unlikely) or that he had an accident in his early childhood, I'd say it's unlikely that he's a savant.

But I don't think that's important anyway, unless the author himself gives confirmation, all of this is just hypothesizing and us trying to label everything. I mean, his bloodline has been at the top of an extremely intellectual and influential organization for what, centuries? At least decades? It makes sense that all of them are extremely intelligent, and one more extreme case after generations isn't unlikely at all.

PS: the "expect" instead of "except" typo is still there in page 14, btw.

Double-page supporter
@dbpop

No exact date, but hopefully sometime within the week!

@299792458

I agree that autism seems unlikely. Although he does have some unusually playful traits from what we've seen, he doesn't seem to have any lack of social development skill at all. Him being someone with just general high intelligence and learning ability towards everything seems to fit well too. We will probably be able to know more once we see more of his traits and skills. I especially wonder how he stacks up or differs against Baku.

Also thanks, we'll get that typo fixed!

@catx3 Thanks for the answer!
I've been looking for the raws forever, any hint where I can get them ?

Thank you!

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the helpful charts, I appreciate it. So many foreshadowings and hints.

Thank you to whoever at Team Duwang that makes these diagrams (especially the ones at the end of arcs). They've been incredibly helpful in reviewing events!

Double-page supporter
Nice, I was actually able to guess the Leader's condition! Surprised I got a foreshadowing right for once.

Users who are viewing this thread