Usogui - Vol. 25 Ch. 273 - The Bee Acting In The Dark

Dex-chan lover
Souichi is fucking awesome <3 But honestly, why does he need to read up on Quantum Gravity and Topology? Rule of cool, I guess. No confirmation on Caracal, though </3

Dex-chan lover
@ricky_rk7 Yes, but why does he need to read that in the first place (curiosity, I guess, and he likes to learn), and more importantly, why is he rereading that now? If he lost his memories he shouldn't remember what he forgot (duh), so he wouldn't know that he might've already read that or not, which means there must have been an incentive or reason for him to decide to read that now - and since it seems unrelated to the current situation and of little practical use (Quantum Gravity and Topology won't really help you understand GPS and cellphones that much), it seems like a weird choice. It's not a big deal anyway, but if they just wanted to make him look smart (again) while also showing stuff that would make sense for him to be reading, they could just show some IT books or even Relativity, not this, even though it doesn't really matter. I guess it's just to show us he's a fickle reader maybe? He just saw that in the store and bought it on a whim and read it, judging by the amount of books it makes sense. Anyway, like I said, it's not a big deal and/or important~

@299792458
If that ends up being a plot point, that'd be crazy lol. I bet it's just some rule of cool thing like you said. Or it's just to show that he's picking up anything and everything that may be of use because from his perspective he lost so much information, and in order to keep the facade up, he's going to need as much data as he can get.

Dex-chan lover
@belkrax I'd almost be okay with that.

@idle_af You never know with the author, but I doubt it. I mean honestly, I can't think of a scenario other than an exam or a quiz where... Wait, he Googled Professor Eba, so that means Eba is probably in academia, maybe that's the connection to the books. That'd make sense...

Contributor
@299792458 My guess is that his memory was shot back so far in the past that he's regressed to a point where tracking someone's cellphone via GPS wasn't even thought of. Hell, maybe they didn't even have cellphones at that point. We notice Souichi learns based on astute observations, which is some Sherlock Holmes level stuff. Souichi destroying his cellphone shortly after using it was because he overheard two people shouting how they traced a criminal via his cellphone. Now that he has time, he's relearning everything as if he was learning it all for the first time. We can even see that he's reverse engineered a cellphone. He's probably hoping to track down Eba by using the same method he learned the police were using.

Double-page supporter
If this keep up the eventual Usogui vs Souichi battle would be indescribably hype. XD

While we're on it, have we been revealed the reason why Usogui wants to become Kakerou's leader? Like, what he actually wanna do as Kakerou's leader? Considering Baku's fame as the "Devil", i wouldn't be surprised if the "Surpassing the Leader" game would treat Usogui as the "antagonist", lol.

Fed-Kun's army
The first scene with Souichi defeating the money launders with baseball was so cool and fun.
I also love the panda socks (that I am assuming he borrowed from Gakuto) he wears on page 7.

I am also curious about Souichi's life growing up because he was told not to build deep relationships with anyone outside Kakerou.

Dex-chan lover
So really, the wards are for his memory, and the leader can easily defend himself.

I wonder how good of a direct fighter he is.

Dex-chan lover
@Ominous Yes, but that's not the point I raised and still wouldn't explain those books I mentioned, even though I agree with you. I think the connection is that Eba used to be a university Professor, and he's either rereading that stuff and/or just looking at the author's names to see if he can find a clue to find Eba or smth. Because as I said, those books won't help you understand GPS signals. Also yeah, Souichi is extremely adaptive and his observational skills are practically unparalleled in the series so far.

Double-page supporter
@Haremmony

Baku said to Yakou early on in the series that his goal for taking over Kakerou was "world peace". Not really sure what he meant by that though.

@299792458

Maybe he's reading them to invent some new/cutting-edge technology that could help him locate Eba? He did take apart the cell phone to analyze it, perhaps he engineered something to help him? It seems like a stretch, but Souichi does seem smart and well-rounded enough to pull it off.

He had what looked like around 40 books and 10 CDs, quite a high amount of material. I agree that it's likely he's aiming for something specific, and not only trying to re-educate himself.

edit: Thinking about his situation further, he should be in quite a hurry to resolve his memory gap. Spending time learning something that is theoretically interesting but won't help him immediately wouldn't be prudent of him.

Dex-chan lover
@catx3 I agree with the edit, which is why I raised the issue in the first place. But as I mentioned before, reading that won't be of any practical use at all, especially not to invent some sort of new device... Topology deals with mathematical geometrical shapes (mostly in higher dimensions too), and Quantum Gravity is part of Theoretical Physics, and is a field that tries to explain Gravity using Quantum Mechanics (as opposed to the current practical way we have of understanding it with Relativity; they're not exactly opposites, but our understanding of Gravity with Relativity only works on our "big" scales, and stops making much sense when you go really small, since gravity is the weakest of all four fundamental forces); basically, what I'm saying is that both fields won't be of much use for anything practical or of immediate use. So he's either just reading something on a whim (unlikely but possible) and/or to fill a memory gap (the problem with this is he wouldn't really know which gaps he had to fill so this doesn't make sense either), or it's something more specific and probably related to Eba being a Professor. If he invents a new device that somehow utilizes the knowledge gained from this then we'd be entering the realm of science fiction, and although the author has gone into the realm of the supernatural when it come to some character's strength and the action (not excessively, but perhaps a little bit), I doubt that he'd go as far as that.

He also swiped Gakuto's ID Card, so I'm curious what he's planning to use that for, as well. I doubt he would anticipate that he'd meet the wire puller face to face like this, but perhaps he just thought it'd come in handy in addition to using it for something specific that he has planned for later on.

Double-page supporter
@299792458

Hm, so four possibilities so far:

1) Just a whim/interest of his
2) Filling memory/education
3) Finding a clue to Eba
4) Using the knowledge for something

Yeah, I agree with your assessment that 4) or building something would be pretty crazy. From what little I understand, there are some interesting applications, but they would likely require specialized tools and machines to even begin approaching using those concepts, and he doesn't have anything like that with him. The reason I thought of it is because the author pulled the computer vision technology awhile back, so maybe he knows of some obscure new technology that he wanted to pull out here. But I agree that it's definitely unlikely.

I think for either 2) or 1), he could be doing both with the main intent of trying to scout out the current state of technologies, since he wasn't aware of GPS being used commonly, he might be trying to check all sorts of random/advanced fields of study to see if there exists other hypothetical technologies that may be used to track him. I think this one is somewhat likely, and the author probably didn't give too much thought on what books he chose in that case.

3) sounds very possible as well. If he's trying to find Eba, and Eba was a professor who specialized in either of those fields, then perhaps Eba used his own alternate identity in public? So Souichi is looking within those related fields to find out what that identity is? Perhaps trying to find professors who have a writing style similar to his or something.

---

About the card, I was thinking he may want to use it to rent a car or something after he leaves Gakuto, since it doesn't seem like he will stay with him for much longer. He can't use any of his own ID because it might be tracked, and he probably needs to start thinking about transportation if he wants to find Eba. I guess it can be used for renting an apartment too, but I imagine other pieces of information are needed for that, I'm not familiar with how it works in Japan however.

Dex-chan lover
@catx3 Agreed! I mean yeah, the computer vision was fairly sci-fiesque but not that far fetched, similar things have been created already, although not to that extent. As you said, for him to apply any of those two fields I mentioned to anything practical, it would require not only specialized equipment, but also insane scientific breakthroughs that are not really nearly close to being created irl, so I can see how the author would choose to implement the computer vision since it's not that far fetched with, but this would be something else since: 1) nothing similar exists irl. 2) there's still things about it that we don't understand even theoretically, so practical applications are a bit far away. 3) if you could think of some applications, it wouldn't be something that could be created quickly, efficiently, alone, and without specialized equipment. So yeah, the possibility number 4 is super low in my eyes.

I don't know, the ID card still has Gakuto's picture as well though, right? I agree that he'll probably leave very soon, but the picture makes the applications fairly limited, but I guess we'll see what he does with it.

Dex-chan lover
I think him searching up Professor Eba instead of just "Eba" means that Eba's public persona was an expert on these subjects so he's trying to find some clues related to where he is

Users who are viewing this thread