Usogui - Vol. 29 Ch. 313 - The Million Yen Picture Book

Dex-chan lover
First thing Hachina does is compliment that damned eyepatch, lol.

Past Hachina getting played by Baku literally within minutes of meeting, although Baku intentionally giving him 990k instead of a million means he never actually wanted to take the book away like that, and wanted this game anyway. I wonder if he'll manage to win it.

Dex-chan lover
Hahaha, I love how Baku just mindgamed Hachina right after meeting him. Really ironic for their first meeting in that bookstore to be under practically the same circumstances as their present meeting. I missed Baku.

Fed-Kun's army
So does Hachina even remember Baku? He has such a nonchalant attitude all the time, and seeing him sorta brush Baku off like that in the beginning of the chapter, I can't tell if that's due to amnesia or just his general indifference. Poor Baku looks distraught though regardless. Lol

Double-page supporter
@Veshv
It seemed like a weird or unnecessary move to me, I wonder if there's a reason for why he even had a 99 stack on him. I'm thinking that when he said 1 million, Baku panicked slightly because maybe he only had 990k on him, but still tried to pass it off as 1 million?

---
My other observations:
-Hachina was at an airport when he lost his memory. Wonder what for? Studying abroad? Or does Kakerou have connections in other countries? Or maybe it was simply a domestic flight.
-Baku was carrying a 99 bill stack. Seems slightly suspicious, though I suppose he may have used one to pay for the snacks he eats. I wonder if maybe he slipped a bill to the cashier in order to rig this bet? Like marking some indents on the pages, and making the cashier call out numbers he has prepared for. But in order to do that, he would've had to know that Hachina was coming in the first place.
-Baku said he likes to collect rare goods, but we haven't seen that quality in any scenes from present Baku. Feels like a lie to make it seem like this meeting was a coincidence, but still uncertain.
-Hachina doesn't actually need the book itself, just the order form. So he may not even need to win to achieve his goal.

Dex-chan lover
page 9, hachina riffled the cash and counted it in the middle panel

Dex-chan lover
also duwang, are you going to do a timeline of this memory lapse arc? i loved the previous ones that help fill the small details that we miss

Dex-chan lover
@catx3
I do think it's a bit odd that he specifically had a stack of 99, unless he took one out just to test Hachina? Since he proposed the match, it may have been to confirm Hachina's sensitivity to touch.

In any case, there's something that's been bothering me. In the flashback for memory loss, how old is Souichi? He seems older than the 1998 Hachina we're seeing at the moment.

there's just no way this whole thing is a coincidence that Baku's there, unless this is actually the very first time they meet and is how Baku found out about Kakerou, which probably isn't the case and i'm forgetting some things

Dex-chan lover
@catx3 So that really was a flashback within a flashback? Seeing another faded-tone panel threw me off.

I was also wondering, isn't "1 million" basically Hyaku-Man (100x10000)? Did he say it in some fancy borrowed-English kinda way, or was he predicting the one bill missing beforehand? Or perhaps something else witty that's lost in translation?

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the chapter, Team Duwang!

Actually, I think Baku used the 990k as a trick to see if he was against some kinda freak who'll be able to count the book's pages.
I mean, in normal circumstances, knowing there's not enough bills, Hachina should have refused the game, saying "that's not 1 million yen. Goodbye". But by staying silent, maybe he made Baku think he was not able to count the bills?

Power Uploader
@Lithe
The raw is 100.
bs0P7qI.png

Dex-chan lover
That makes sense.

I trust you guys with the translation liberties, but the detail-oriented nature still fucks me up.

Double-page supporter
@Lithe

Yeah, it was a flashback within a flashback.

@Veshv

That confused me a bit too. I think it's likely just the author having difficulty showing Souichi looking young, since his hairstyle and outfit is the same as the present-time Leader look. Mostly because it doesn't make sense for an older Souichi to be talking to Eba. I tried thinking about if there was a second promise or some other crazy theory, but it didn't make much sense.

Random note, since he was wearing the Leader outfit since that young, I'm starting to think his 'white' outfit was a part of his public identity, so probably related to becoming a part of the CIRO in the future.

@Jonui @Veshv
I like that take on Baku's 990k being a test. The only issue I have is that it didn't show a scene of him removing the bill, and the author usually loves to stuff that kind of thing in. I suppose he just happened to have 990k on him for "some reason", and went with that plan immediately.

In that case, it's weird that Hachina even accepted the game. In fact, even in 1 million was given, he could have just refused anyway since there's no binding force like Kakerou here.

Fed-Kun's army
@catx3 Yeah, it's true that Baku conviently having 990k on him is fishy. And it doesn't seem like he removed one bill either.
But hey! Maybe he just pulled a "it's not you who decided to ask for 1 million yen. I decided that before you did" on Hachina? I don't really think it's possible, but the idea make me laugh anyway.

Double-page supporter
@the9813
Most likely not for this arc, because not much has actually happened yet, most of it was just spread out because of the coffee creamer game + battleship game taking a lot of chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread