Usogui - Vol. 29 Ch. 315 - Masahiko's Judgement

Dex-chan lover
The rivalry is so cool. This Hachina thing was the best reveal of the series in terms of characterization for Leader. He kind of become a protagonist and now his interactions with Usogui are on a more equal level, while still retaining his level of threat and mystery.

PD: Was also fun to see that while intellectually they are evenly matched, Usogui cant hold a handle to Kiruma on physical activities.

DQM

Yeah, it's most likely Baku already knew about Hachina's memory loss. I think Baku is trying to figure out how much memory is lost.

Fed-Kun's army
Really enjoying this relationship these two share. I'm eager to know more.

Dex-chan lover
Hahaha. I was so close to saying that I'm not used to seeing Baku lose, but then he pulls a classic Usogui on us. Writing that on the band was a sly and insane move... The Baku we know and love. As I thought, it seems like Baku did hijack the process, and is staging this scenario to make Hachina think that Eba is still alive, possibly to determine how much memory was lost? We shall see more on the next chapter though. And yes, it was obvious that Baku is just too physically weak to compare to Hachina. They both have their weaknesses. I'm sad that this absolutely insane batch will end tomorrow, but I immensely appreciate the effort you guys put in, so I understand. Thank you.

Dex-chan lover
It's clear that present Baku knows about Hachina's memory issues, though there is a question of how exactly he showed up to the bookstore before Hachina. Either he was keeping tabs on it the whole time after losing Surpassing the Leader, or Kakerou's freakout over Tatsuki tipped him off, which is pretty likely I think.

I imagine his actions right now to be probing to see if Hachina remembers him, which should be a relatively clear indicator of how much he's forgotten. Either he remembers the Baku who beat him in this match, the Baku who lost in Surpassing the Leader from an implanted memory, or he doesn't remember at all. Maybe he'll bring up Kakerou next to get a better idea?

Flashback Baku is basically stuck with Hachina following him around for a couple days too, huh. Well, we don't yet know what Baku is at this time, if he's a Kakerou gambler or not, but I expect this to be an intense situation for him. The interactions between these two look to be really interesting.

This batch has been ridiculous, Team Duwang really does spoil us so much. I hope you guys take a good rest before starting up again. Thanks as ever.

Edit: I've just noticed another contrast shown between Baku and Hachina with this match: Hachina went ahead and protected the value of his opponent's book (when Baku dropped it), and Baku ruined the value of his opponent's book (writing Kariume on the band of the book). The author really showed off a lot of contrasts between the two of them.

Dex-chan lover
i don't understand..

the dictionary have a listed value of 90k yen and it is also a rare book (which should up in value than the list price) vs the gravure book that value up from the list price to 100k, isn't this clearly Baku's victory even without cheating?

Double-page supporter
@goodknife

The price of 90k already takes into account that it's a rare book. The listed value wasn't the original or retail price of the book, rather it came from the antique books catalogue of the bookstore.

Hachina reads the catalogue and places it back after distracting the owner: https://mangadex.org/chapter/703754/13
You can tell he took it because it was placed differently a few pages before: https://mangadex.org/chapter/703754/11
When the owner leaves to evaluate the price, he takes the catalogue with him: https://mangadex.org/chapter/704547/5

Double-page supporter
@Veshv

The contrasts and their personality differences are quite interesting, especially in how it showed in this gamble. Hachina seemed to be more focused on pride and being upright, accepting the gamble out of pride when he didn't need to, not caring about the opponent's lack of violence, and trying to be mindful of the bookstore owner's property by saving the book. While Baku plays a lot more savagely and selfishly, setting up all sorts of tricks like suggesting the page flipping game because he knew he could do it perfectly, or suggesting the book game because he already knew the prices of various rare books, and also casually ruining someone else's property.

Hachina didn't even try to oppose Baku's suggestion on the rules of the game, and just let his opponent gain an advantage for fr. And his strategy in the end, choosing the gravure book, was more based on him being lucky, because as you said, he didn't try to oppose his opponent's strategy at all. I can understand why Baku said something along the lines of 'that noble kind of thinking pisses me off', it felt like Hachina wasn't playing 'seriously' at all, because he was limiting himself by upholding all sorts of personal rules and ideas.

It seems like at this point in time, Hachina was a lot less competent a gambler compared to current Hachina. And I imagine that Souichi is even more OP than that. I wonder if he picked up those skills from Baku?

Another small contrast I noticed, they probably have opposite handedness, Hachina used his left hand for the page counting game while Baku used his right.

---
edit & random thought:
It would be really funny and interesting if Baku proposes the same game from the past and tries to repeat the same strategy on the current Hachina.

din

Why did baku run? Some times he does weird things w/o a reason.
This flashback makes me think he knew Eba too.

Fed-Kun's army
thank you so much Team Duwang for all your hard work on this batch!! I had been looking forward to seeing this part translated!

Also it is funny that the gravure book mentions the same video that Kaji rented in chapter 3

We really can see the differences between when they were teen and now

Users who are viewing this thread