Usogui - Vol. 30 Ch. 318 - Bush And Cherry Blossom

Dex-chan lover
Oh damn, Beirut egg guy was involved with Baku in the past too, huh. Maybe we'll see his and Taka's abilities in this flashback arc (assuming Taka's even around).

Baku's explanation of his motives to Hal is pretty interesting, considering that's actually what he did for some of the games we have seen him play, especially against that perverted old guy that originally had Kyara as personal ref, as well as Yuukide in the paper labyrinth match.

Double-page supporter
@Veshv

Yeah, the motive explains why Baku never tries to kill his opponents in gambles. Although like half of them still died regardless.

---

Kyara recognizing Hal, I wonder what will come of that. It's weird for Kakerou's next-in-line leader to be partnering with one of its members.

e: Also, Hal screaming at the beginning. I interpret it as frustration from being inferior to Baku. It seemed like Eba was giving him a special education, and he became prideful due to that and his own talents growing up, but it wasn't enough to win against Baku. Maybe it's the first time he's seen someone more talented than him.

It could be him in pain too, but doesn't seem to fit as well.

Dex-chan lover
I love how we're shown Baku's obsession to gambling again. I mentioned this a couple of chapters ago while discussing his motives, but this is the second time I can remember him getting a nosebleed, and he only gets it when he gets really excited, so even back at the Abandon the Building game Baku was shown to have some elements of an obsessive gambler. He loves the thrill, and this chapter's additional element to his motivations support that, while reminding us of previous hints and solidifying it. This author never forgets. I love it.

Fed-Kun's army
as always, thanks so much Team Duwang!!! Really cool that we get to see bits of Baku's thought process/ reason for gambling. and it is fun to see Baku and Hal work together. They both are super intelligent in different ways and make an interesting team.
and egg chief is relevant again ,yay, hope we get his name soon

@Veshv
(tiny correction that probably doesnt matter) kyara was a neutral ref in the first game against the old guy because personal refs can only be called when the gamble is between kakerou members and baku wasnt a member yet

@catx3
I think it's kinda funny that the volume begins with Hal screaming with no context... I didn't consider the scream to be due to an inferiority complex, but that is a good thought. Considering Hal's intelligence and status as the heir to a super-powerful organization, he was probably raised to be "the best" in everything, and seeing Baku one up him in mind games (especially since gambling skills are very important for the leader) might of set something off.
My interpretation is that he is frustrated with both himself and Baku. Hal is now invested in Baku to some degree and is committed to following him (for the book and also because he's interested in Baku), yet he does not agree with Baku's actions. Also, with Hal following Baku he runs the risk of having his identity exposed by a kakerou ref or something. Eba stressed in an earlier chapter how important it was for Hal to not give away his public persona.

Fed-Kun's army
Hmm... I wonder if Baku have some health issue and I think the nosebleed might be a symptom.

Actually, I was wondering about Baku health ever since I saw how fit Hal is during the battleship game and how not fit Baku is. I mean, during the abandoned building gamble he have to be carry up the stairs by Kaji! I don't expect him to be as fit as Hal, but he should at least have an average physical strength.

I can't see Baku neglecting to work out and just completely rely on Marco or Kyara for strength. This is a guy who learn morse code as well as how to mimick people voices just for probable future gamble. I would expect him to probably learn a few martial art to defend himself just in case.

Overall, Baku is portrayed as a weak person. But why. Hal learn to fight (probably) for gambles so why don't Baku.

At first, I thought it might be because the author did it so Baku won't be too OP and give others like Marco some spotlight. But in some cover arts, you can see that Baku have abs, so he clearly is fit.

Which lead me to think that Baku is fit but due to some health conditions, cannot fully utilise it.

But that is assuming that the cover art is umm... canon? I mean we never actually saw Baku topless in the actual manga pages. Plus, the only evidence/symptom is the nosebleed. I know this is a common manga trope and I did saw some comments explaining that Baku is just excited. Maybe he have some conditions where stress/excitement cause blood to bleed?

I don't know. It's just too weird that if Hal trained his body for preparation, Baku wouldn't do the same. Or at least have an average physical strength.

Edit: Re-reading a bit, I found that during the "real" labyrinth gamble, where there was a trap room with depleted oxygen level. The referee said that Baku manage to raise the oxygen to quite a safe level, but jokes about how Baku have a weak body because he is really affected by the lack of oxygen.
At the abandoned building, Baku also showed a lack of stamina rather than lack of physical strength. Also at the tower arc, he fight against his opponent a bit. (He grab his hand when he was choking him and also push him down the stair) He strength may be average but he's not too weak.
So maybe he have problems with his lungs? Then the nosebleed can also tie into this.

Dex-chan lover
@RapidLord
I agree that Baku is likely incapable of being physically stronger than he is, since he's a bit too weak to be honest. Obviously as a protagonist, being both absurdly smart and strong would feel a bit less enjoyable, but Baku's physical ineptitude borders on ridiculous.

@DQM
Remember that guy that the Leader was betting with during Baku vs Suteguma? That's Sasaoka. His first appearance was in ch. 208.

@Ghetsis
That's an interesting rule surrounding the personal referees, I think I forgot it if it was brought up in the story at some point.

Fed-Kun's army
@RapidLord
I think it has something more to do with his pride. Baku clearly has confidence in his own wits to get himself out of trouble. He probably feels he doesn't need physical capabilities to hold his own in a conflict, as he can always worm his way out of one (or lead someone else to fight for him). He just enjoys playing people. And going up against a world full of violence with only his intellect seemingly gives him a thrill.

Dex-chan lover
So I take it Hal just kinda figured that this guy was government and called posing as Shima, nothing to do with the fact that he called from the car phone? Lol did he break into the car too?

This has got to be one of those extremely rare cases where I actually enjoy flashbacks.

Dex-chan lover
@Lithe He must've. I mean we saw this kind of move from him last arc too in the battleship arc, where he sent a text message to Yokoi's phone to see if he was being held captive and whatnot. I acknowledge he's very intelligent, but a lot of these tricks he must've been taught too by Eba and whatnot. Also makes me think the reason why Hal and Baku's fingers were so sensitive for that Book page gamble (and also when Hachina counted the bills) is because they've practiced a lot with playing cards, since Baku has been a master at cheating with cards, it'd make sense for him to have trained his fingers to be sensitive too. Same goes for Hal.

Dex-chan lover
@299792458 Keen observation with the cards. I'd imagine it'd take additional training to convert from cards to common paper, but it would be in line with why they'd just 'happen' to have that talent.

Regarding talent in general, seems Hal has max starter base stats but Baku is still somewhat of a mystery. I tend to imagine Baku practicing the cards, the voices, etc. but I imagine Hal picking up the card tricks, rubik's cube and even fighting on a whim. I can easily accept his talents without thinking, but I am wondering why Baku would pick up his particular set of skills and if we will get to see that.

@Ghetsis Now that I think about it, I kinda wonder if his name is important or if it's a fake 'big reveal'. Does the PFD even exist at this time (roughly how many years before current time is this, again?)

Users who are viewing this thread