Usogui - Vol. 36 Ch. 389 - A King's Game

I bet you switched the names of the only top lvl players on island(on 10th page)🤣🤣

Dex-chan lover
If only it were the cigar that stings. 😢

edit: iirc someone told Kaji easly in the story, that Baku was the kind of person who sacrificed his friends in previous games, but now it really seems as if Kyara is the only person he actually lost.

Dex-chan lover
I feel that he took the cigar and choked on it cause he cant cry naturally anymore

Dex-chan lover
He's definitely feeling guilty for thinking this match was going to be easier than it is and Kyara dying as a consequence...

Also that King didn't seem to read the Ultimate Survival Guide that goes:
1. Do not fight Marco/Kyara (few exceptions exist)
2. Do not play a game with Souichi/Baku (no exceptions exist)

Dex-chan lover
Oh I know this game, I used to play it a lot with friends on elementary

Dex-chan lover
Chopsticks?! Man I've played that so much with others throughout high school.

Bit confused about this version of the game though. Spoilers if you haven't played this game:
Basically if both players know what they're doing, you just force the game into a complete loop within the first 4 moves, making it literally impossible for the game to end. How is that going to be handled?

@Woodchipper

You're right, Nowa said that to Kaji. At this point in the story, we know that it was in reference to the Fukurou vs. Hal match, and that Hal in fact did not die, and Baku had nothing to do with that match in the first place.

@catx3

By the way, would you guys happen to have Baku's realization from last chapter without the text bubbles?
As ever, thank you for the translations! I kept coming back to reread this manga while it was stuck in the labyrinth arc, and it's just gone up from there.

Double-page supporter
Two great moments: Baku's face when NeroNero proposes a gamble for the King's spot, and trying to light up a cigar in Kyara's honor.

@Veshv
@Woodchipper
Yes, Nowa told Kaji that he betrayed an ally to save himself very early on in the manga. Chapter 33 to be exact. It's come up a few times, and notably recently in Chapter 316 during Kaji's dream.

Although we know Hal didn't actually die in the match vs Fukurou, Baku tells Yuukiide that he "killed" Hal. In that gamble with Fukurou, Hal says he is betting his life as Hal. https://mangadex.cc/chapter/713885/12 Whatever happened that day, Hal lost (and Eba was killed), and it seems to have fundamentally changed Hal into the current form of Souichi/Hachina, so its likely that Baku feels a sense of guilt for the loss of his friend. Baku tells the story in Chapter 90. https://mangadex.cc/chapter/204647/1

The weird thing about this is that Baku says he had a gamble set up that day and Hal went in his place, and lost. However the flashback seems to imply Hal set the gamble up on his own and posed as Baku while setting it up. I'm not really sure where the truth is here. Either way, Yukiide tells Baku that it's not really his fault since it was Hal's decision to do so, but Baku blames himself anyway.

I think its very likely that the rumor that got back to Nowa simply stated that an ally of Usogui went to the gamble in place of Baku and died in a russian roulette style game. In the flashback, Hal had set the game up without Baku's knowledge, and Eba pulled a trick to make it look like Hal died in the match. I don't think all the details of this game are fully understood yet. How Fukurou could have beaten Hal in a game of wits is beyond me, and I'm assuming we'll get more information on that and how he (probably) cheated. He's the last ally of Lalo left, and it certainly won't be Marco taking him on, so Hal will likely get a rematch.

As far as we know Kyara is the first ally of Baku's to truly die in a gamble for Baku's sake, and its something Baku has really tried hard to prevent. Remember, he gave up a potential winning turn in the labyrinth to try and revive Marco.

Dex-chan lover
@BossCrab

Part of the problem with Baku's telling of the story could stem from the fact that Kadokura was listening to it too. As a Kakerou referee, he may have decided to confirm the memory (since Baku would almost definitely have Kakerou involved in such a "large bet"). In which case Kadokura would confirm that "Baku" had that match against Fukurou, and he himself did in fact offer the place and time, and prove that the memory was a lie to some degree, which could invalidate the gamble. Not wanting to take that risk led to the twisted version of the story we heard in chapter 90, as well as playing dumb about Kakerou itself the whole time.

Double-page supporter
@Veshv

Good point! I didn't think of it like that. I knew his story had to be "true" to ensure proper collection but I didn't think he could say simply what Kakerou assumed to he true.

Double-page supporter
@Veshv 😄
No, I don't believe there's a version without any text bubbles. You'll probably have to settle with erasing the text. It's also possible for someone to redraw it if they have the skills. There's a lot of great panels in this manga that have text bubbles in them unfortunately.

@BossCrab @Veshv
Very interesting point about Baku making up his part of the memory to fit Kakerou's knowledge of the events! Now I realize that him being vague and dragging out the memory was probably to avoid talking about the match that he didn't actually participate in. And perhaps to probe out Kakerou's knowledge of that memory/gamble.

Baku using that memory specifically in the Labyrinth game is actually a weirdly odd and risky move. For plot reasons it makes sense for foreshadowing, but he could've just made up any random memory on some irrelevant date. It makes it seem like he had a purpose behind it, like on the chance that if Kakerou officiated the match, he could make them undo that loss in hopes of bringing Hal back or something?

Users who are viewing this thread