Usogui - Vol. 41 Ch. 447 - The Flesh's Memory

Fears setting in. Finally seeing this guy in action after being played up all the way at the radio tower

DQM

Fukurou is really good at bluffing, given that he is said to be godly in poker. To be honest, I kind of wanting to see how Baku the Lie Eater going against him.

Double-page supporter
The author has done a great job of making Lalo and now Fukurou live up to all the time and effort he spent building them up. This dude is extremely intimidating and his poker face is incredible. Hal really didn't think he would shoot.

Fed-Kun's army
Feels like it's been forever since we last saw these two (excluding the previous chapter).

Interesting that there's an innate hesitation in Hal over the idea of facing Fukurou again. I wonder if that's a sign that this match will lead Hal to remember anything from back when.

Maybe i missed something, but, why the hell did Leader accept this game ?? 😐

This development is going to his primal objective which is to find a situation where there are no winner ( i was talking about it the last chapter... his initial was just full of shit, it's never been consistent to me)

he should have accept for the 'bluff' he had nothing to lose.
Why ask what Fukurou want ? no.. let him be and see if he's going to shoot. Fukurou wants a Kakerou, but it could have been in leader's condition instead of Fukurou'one (Poker)
- If he shoots, Hal wins, no surpassing the leader... baku wins cant happen nor Lalo's one. he would respect his code which is not sabotaging his ally.
- if he doesnt shoot, he'll propose Hal a kakerou game (since he wants it), and if he only propose poker, Hal can just respond that He has actually no interest of entering a kakerou game, then it would be fair if unless Hal choses the game. Hal doing a step forward by accepting the match, so Fukurou should do the same.

Hal got tricked by askeing what Fukurou wants... Fukurou should have been the one to talk first.

Double-page supporter
@Solano
We don't really understand his exact intentions yet, although there was some good discussion/speculation on it last chapter's comments. At the very least, we know that he's acting as Baku's ally right now.

The whole bit about "Hal trying to make both Lalo and Baku lose to avoid surpassing the leader" was just a bluff by Baku. Hal has been allies with Baku since the start of the match, Baku was just making it seem like they were enemies to trick Lalo, and Hal went along with it, which is how Lalo got tricked into becoming the Kaiser.

If Hal was serious about being an enemy then he would've tried harder to make sure Shoudo didn't get taken down, instead he let Kaji take it from him easily. And he could've asked Daiba to destroy the system instead of just resetting its password.

(Not a spoiler, just some random thoughts about Hal)
It's just my speculation, but I think they were even allies when they met again at the bookstore. I think the whole "Hal trying to kill Baku" part was just Baku thinking about the worst case scenario and the author misleading us, and that Hal for some reason decided to trust Baku when he met him. (I think it's the fact that Baku intentionally came alone, without any forces. Baku could've decided to just ambush and kidnap him, but he didn't, so Hal realized he wasn't a threat. Something like that?)

Also, there's still the odd fact that Hachina chose the name "HAL" as his Protoporos name, even though he shouldn't remember that name. So it seems like he either subconsciously remembers his past, or Baku told him to use that name off-screen at some point? Not sure what to make of it right now.

Dex-chan lover
Fukurou has never been a joke. Surprisingly, if we consider his gonk appearance.
Baku was amazed Suteguma had "defeated" him, and his flashback with Leader is played pretty seriously. He has to be a more than decent player.

The king of Poker is back in style!

Seems like we'll be in flashback mode for a few chapters while seeing how the game came about. A few chapters to rest the brain, no less.

Dex-chan lover
@catx3
About Hal and Baku
From this chapter it's apparent that Hal in some capacity does have at least some of his memories, he just can't access them at will. Whether that's specific to traumatic things like his loss to Fukurou, or extends to all of his lost memories (which, thinking back on it, he felt like Kakerou did something big when he was on the phone with Lalo) isn't as obvious. To that end, maybe he considered Baku as "not an enemy", due to their time together. If you think about it this way, the fact that Hal keeps sparing Baku every time they run into each other makes a lot more sense. I seriously doubt Tatsuki would spare Baku like Hal did for StL, or when he gave up on collection after the hangman match. I think your idea of Hal regarding Baku as an ally holds a lot of merit.

Also, bloodied Hal lost his ahoge. Truly a sad loss.

Dex-chan lover
Seeing so much of Fukurou in a short period has shown me that he was basically imported from a different universe.

Surely another reason why Hal couldn't let Fukurou ruin the game is Kakerou's role for running the game i.e. they can't let someone external just up and break the game for everyone else. So even though Hal is playing in the game he probably has some responsibility as leader of Kakerou to preserve the integrity of the game.

Hal aside, when Fukurou said that the game can only be poker, I don't think this game was quite the thing he had on his mind 🤣

@catx3
RapidLord also mention what you said in the last chapter when i was talking about it... for both of you, if what you say are true, that Leader has never been an enemy of Baku, then what is the point of his participation to the BAN... To be me that imply plot wise the whole protoporos plot was just created to justify this 2v2 situation since outside of that the presence of Hal has never been necessary, whether or not he wants to get rid of Lalo, he had not any possibility to know that the BAN he imposed would have him participating and with Baku choosing him. (since Hal or all of them are people full of themself, Hal just went on a boat, fought a woman serial killer and stuff... Hal are not afraid of anyone or anything )

@Lie_Eater
Fukurou is 100% part of the game. he's not an intruder. he cant be purged by Kakerou.

Double-page supporter
@Veshv
Hal

Yeah, those hints definitely point at having residual memories. Hal sparing Baku for the first StL was also very weird, but that could explain it.

But if I remember right, during the Hangman game he didn't actually want to spare Baku, he only did it because he was afraid of Kyara, who was nearby and ready to counterattack. So for some reason he didn't have any feelings about Baku at that point? Hm..

Double-page supporter
@Solano
then what is the point of his participation to the BAN...
I think it was to defeat Lalo, but in a safer way. Because of how he set it up, he got a few advantages:
-He made Lalo bet everything in this match. Not just his life, but all his assets. (interestingly, he didn't make Baku do the same)
-Because he's the leader, Lalo's team won't try to kill him during the match. (which he tried to abuse against Fukurou)
-He got a strong gambler (Baku) to face Lalo for him. He learned that Baku played Surpassing the Leader with him before (from Lalo's phone call), so he can trust his skill.
-Even if Baku loses, Hal would get first-hand experience in how Lalo fights and thinks, so he'll be better off during an actual StL match vs Lalo.

he had not any possibility to know that the BAN he imposed would have him participating and with Baku choosing him.
The fact that it was a BAN match significantly increased the chance of allies participating. It encourages you to add allies with the "men" card, and Hal knew that Lalo has talented people like Voja under him, so he'd be tempted to bring allies. Hal was the one who decided to make it a BAN match too, which leads me to think he did it on purpose so he could join the match as an ally.

As for Baku choosing him, I can think of two possibilities:
1) They agreed beforehand to be allies. In between the time Hal and Baku met in the bookstore, and Lalo came for the meeting, they had a off-screen discussion beforehand and plotted this plan against Lalo.

2) They didn't discuss anything at all, Hal just gambled on it by making it a BAN match. He probably assumed that Baku has few allies because he came alone to the bookstore, and that Lalo has a lot based on the conversation he had with him.

I don't think Baku offering for Hal to be his ally was just a spontaneous offer that he decided to accept. We know that Hal is smart enough to calculate very far ahead, so I definitely think he predicted and wanted for this to happen.

---

Your question about Hal's motives is very good. I don't think my answer is perfect, it does feel like Hal has some other motives that haven't been fully explained. Like why he continues to work with Gakuto, and also why he promised Nobuko that they'll meet again. And also how he acted in the past with Baku (which I mentioned in my comment to Veshv). Definitely feels like there's more to it.

Users who are viewing this thread