Usogui - Vol. 42 Ch. 454 - A Small Trigger

Dex-chan lover
Prepare boys... The ali3n representatives will tell his share of story to all of us. XD

Aggregator gang
This Alien thing fits started in that one game with that terrorist as far as I’m concerned

Let’s see what he has to say now

@JesterFreeze @rennov

For those of you who don't remember, the "alien" is a reference to Chapter 55 ("An Alien's Fate"), when Baku meets Leader in the Hangman game: https://mangadex.org/chapter/204634/1

In that chapter, Souchi comes in and plays a joke, claiming that he's an alien coming to invade the earth. If he's playing the same joke as he was in his previous self by pretending to be an alien, then it looks like he's gotten his memories back. I'm guessing this is also his way of signaling to all the referees, who may be familiar with his joking style about being an alien, that he's regained his memories. Hence the look on Shion, Yakou and Nowa's faces in this chapter.

Here's my question: if Souchi only loses his memories when he feels like he's "failed" at something or otherwise done something imperfect, why did he lose his memories right after the Tower Gamble? What happened that cause him to lose it all?

Also, it looks like this is the "138th" time he's lost his memories, including "the small ones"? I wonder what those other instances were that no one but him knows about.

Fed-Kun's army
@carlshan
Eba said that the trigger to his memory loss might be when he's have a strong sense of responsibility. I think when Souchi is overwhelmed by his responsibility as a Kakerou leader, it lead to him thinking he's imperfect (for not being able to cope with his responsibility) which lead to his memory loss. If I remember correctly, in the Tower Arc, Souchi got the news that Baku won & then he loss his memory. He might feel overwhelm about gambling against Baku (maybe his body remember how terrifying Baku is & feel overwhelm, kinda like the time when his body remember getting shot when he was gamble with Fukurou when he was Hal)

@RapidLord

Judging from the internal monologue by "dark Souchi" in this chapter, I actually think he loses his memory when Souchi feels like he's failed at his responsibility, as the past few chapters he's been seen muttering under his breath about how he needs to play "perfectly". Then in this chapter we see dark Souchi comes in says "You too ... were not perfect." and "resets" Souchi's memories back to the point before his failure so that it kinda "erases" the imperfection.

Also Souchi won that original "Surpassing the Leader" gamble against Baku easily, so why would his body be afraid of him?

I feel like there's something else that the author has yet to reveal.

Dex-chan lover
@carlshan

There's definitely much left for the author to reveal, but I think the idea has to do with the idea of buckling under pressure. Realization that he'd have to play StL perfectly was a pressure that Souichi may have been concerned about, and this feeling of concern made him feel less than perfect. That's my assumption for now, at least.

So Hal now has all of his memories back? I wonder how drastically this will change things. Not as far as this gamble goes, but in terms of if there are any clashing memories. One of the ideas that showed up in discussions about Hal's memory re-implementation was the possibility of fake memories. If he has it all back now, he'll realize what was fake (if there are any).

Fed-Kun's army
@carlshan
Yeah, Souchi lose his memory when he feel like fail his responsibility to be perfect. But I think him being pressured by his responsibility might be the cause of his feeling of imperfection. So what's happening might be: pressure from internally/externally forces -> feeling of imperfection (cause Kakerou leader are not meant to have feelings) -> memory loss.

This might explain the memory loss not just in the Tower Arc but the little memory loss, like the first time he lost his memory when reading a book or when he lost his memory when going to the conference & then became Hal. About the Tower Arc, his body remember Baku is mostly just me guessing. But I feel like Baku winning definitely have a hand in his memory loss, reread the chapter, Souchi loss his memory the moment Judge said that Baku won.

Double-page supporter
@carlshan

I was wondering the same thing about the tower gamble. The main thing that sticks out is that it seems to occur upon hearing him hearing that Baku won the tower gamble from the judge. My two guesses are:

1) He felt like Baku getting the Karamete by using Kakerou was a mistake? Maybe because his organization was being used against their will? Or that Baku got the better end of the deal, because he managed to get the karamete while Souichi "only" got the private funeral division.

2) He anticipated that Baku surviving/winning would mean that his father would likely die, because of his decision back in the terrorist arc to make "#0" a requirement for StL. That's the only reason why Tatsuki had to fight Yakou, and ultimately why he died. (Although it assumes that he thinks his father would lose to Yakou.) The #0 decision was weird to begin with during the terrorist arc, I wonder if it was really just a whim of being bored or was he trying to make it harder for Baku but it backfired?

Contributor
As soon as Souichi made that joke, a flashback to Usogui vs. Sadakuni in the Hangman gamble came forward.
This is one hell of an ironic callback.

Double-page supporter
Foreshadowing upon foreshadowing. https://mangadex.org/chapter/204659/6

I really like this page because not only did it foreshadow the fact that Souichi loses his memory, but also doubled as a foreshadowing of what his inner psyche said in this chapter; that its almost a relief to do so. He's able to erase the memories of failing to be perfect or failing to live up to his responsibility, and allows him to start "fresh". It allows him to continue to live by forgetting.

Back to the game on the lower level. It's 63 vs 26 & 44 vs 25. Wouldn't that just mean Baku lose both ??

Users who are viewing this thread