Usogui - Vol. 42 Ch. 458 - Folding From Instinct

Double-page supporter
@Jonui

For Fukurou's motives, besides Rooster's Usogui explanation, one more explanation could be that: he thinks Lalo will improve Kakerou (taking what he says about liking Kakerou at face value). Maybe something like he wants Kakerou to go worldwide with Lalo's connections?

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I know he could just be lying, but Fukurou doesn't feel like a bad guy. I actually quite like how his character is going now that we know him more.

Dex-chan lover
@Rooster @idle_af
Hal's reasoning for creating an invalid hand, assuming that is what he did, doesn't have to be due to knowing what the last card is, even if he does know about it. The simplest reason is that, if Baku's plan is to bet it all on the last hand, then he needs to safely exit this round. Using any unused card creates the risk of a Calamity, however low likelihood it may actually be. Repeated cards, on the other hand, do not have that risk at all. If both players' hands were to have the same repeated card, it doesn't change the fact that the round must be repeated.

As for @xkcdhawk 's theory,
I'm not sure if Baku really did something like that. Out of the 4 used Bios, one of them was just before his suicide raise, and another one was right after when he was in "Think about every possibility" mode. Saving air for a single possibility of the endgame right from the start is pretty extreme. Assuming he really was doing it from the start though, he'd have at least 2 Bios with some air remaining, prepared for a situation in which the final Bios counts were relatively even. Hell, even having one of them with some air would freak Lalo out into breathing faster, so a 1-2 Bios advantage could be overcome.

Writing this up, it reminded me of Baku's little speech to Yakou after he chopped off his finger. The idea of paying a price, setting up a trick that may never truly be used, in order to fool people. Maybe Baku really was okay with dying on that raise without using up all the Bios, for the sake of tricking Lalo afterwards.

Fed-Kun's army
@Rooster @catx3 I actually like both of your takes on Fukurou's motives. I can see it being a mix of the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.
I hope we'll learn more about this owl guy in the next chapters.

Double-page supporter
Fukurou is a really interesting character. I think his decision to side with Lalo is a combination of desire to see Kakerou continue to prosper (perhaps even go worldwide with Lalo's connection) and learning into his philosophy of "not closing your eyes out of instinct". On its surface giving control of Kakerou to a hostile foreign influence is definitely a bad thing, but perhaps he believes it is the best way forward for the organization, and is embracing it.

Additionally, perhaps his decision to make an invalid hand here was actually due to going against his instinct as well; he thought something might be off with what Hal was doing, and made an invalid hand on purpose. Because they must choose again if both players make invalid hands, perhaps Fukurou believed that Hal would make an invalid hand as well, and they would get to choose again. His entire being is screaming at him to make the best hand and avoid the Witch Pain, perhaps he went against it to close up some blind spots in his strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread